Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get my GshepX involved in the therapy program. She adores people (esp children), is very gentle and happy, and is smart as a whip (but sneaky!). I'd like to get an idea about what sort of training she would be put through, and if there are specific age requirements you need to start by. She is a little over a year old and has had basic sit, stay, paw training. Mind sharing your knowledge?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It depends on the program - some have a minimum age, others don't. Generally, the programs use a test that is similar to a CGC test with a few additional elements to make sure that the dog is not too scared of things like walkers, oxygen mask noises, etc.

There's a fair amount of information on DeltaSociety.org, but you might also try calling your local hospitals and nursing homes (anyone you'd like to visit) and seeing if they have therapy dog programs. Get the name of the coordinator, contact them, and find out what the specific requirements are for their individual program. There's multiple different organizations that certify therapy dogs (or teams, or handlers) and each have slightly different requirements- and some hospitals and nursing homes have their own individual program and don't use any outside certifying program.

·
Banned
352 Posts
The first thing is to have is good, solid obedience down pat, then obtain the CGC. After that, you could contact:

Therapy Dogs International
Therapy Dogs Incorporated
The Delta Society,

or do a search for other therapy groups. You dont have to be part of a registered group, but the benefits are wonderful. The best thing about going with one of the groups is the liability insurance you are covered with during your visits.

None of the groups "certify" therapy dogs; they are therapy dog registrars, they register them for therapy use. There is no formal "certification" for therapy dogs, just as there is no "certification" for service dogs.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The first thing is to have is good, solid obedience down pat, then obtain the CGC. After that, you could contact:

Therapy Dogs International
Therapy Dogs Incorporated
The Delta Society,

or do a search for other therapy groups. You dont have to be part of a registered group, but the benefits are wonderful. The best thing about going with one of the groups is the liability insurance you are covered with during your visits.

None of the groups "certify" therapy dogs; they are therapy dog registrars, they register them for therapy use. There is no formal "certification" for therapy dogs, just as there is no "certification" for service dogs.
Actually, that's not true. One of the TDIs certifies teams and oen of the orgs (I can't remember which) certifies dogs - it's not like SDs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts