Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Venting! This is what a woman just had the nerve to say to me after I cursed her out because her enormous dog came charging at Molly and me from her front lawn. She had zero recall on the dog and kept shouting at me "He's friendly!" I kept saying, "I don't care. Get him away from me!" I am, quite frankly, very afraid of larger dogs because I've never spent time around dogs larger than a cocker spaniel so to have a very large, unfamiliar dog just come flying up to me scared the living crap out of me. Molly is 13 lbs and my last dog was 10. Granted, this dog was not snarling or growling or showing any aggressive behavior. I'm just very afraid of big dogs. After she finally got him to come back to her, I started to move away and I see that she hasn't restrained the dog at all and he's getting ready to move toward us from the other side of the driveway. Unreal!

As I was hightailing it out of the neighborhood, I saw an older man painting his fence two doors down so I apologized for making a scene. He just shook his head and said, "Good for you!" I'm guessing I'm not the first person this dog has charged.

I also realized how ineffective the mini airhorn is in my pocket if I don't actually take it out and use it. Apparently, it can't just detect my panic, LOL.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
UGH! So obnoxious!

Yesterday my husband and I took Biscuit for a walk in a fairly busy neighborhood with a lot of car traffic. There was a lady with two large dogs (easily 80 lb), one leashed and one not. WTF why would you only leash one of your dogs? This is a big city and we have a leash law for a good reason. The unleashed one charged Biscuit (who is already skittish of other dogs on leash), snarled and growled, then bit her neck - and I mean her entire neck was in his mouth. Luckily Biscuit's leash is very short so my husband was RIGHT THERE and quickly shoved this other dog off Biscuit. The whole thing was over in a couple seconds and luckily neither Biscuit nor my husband got hurt. But FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. The lady didn't say a single word to us, just leashed her dog, then started screaming at it and hitting it with the leash - great lesson to be teaching, lady! She would have done better to hit herself with the leash for being a complete idiot. ]

Some people are just too stupid and thoughtless to own dogs!

Phew, sorry for the minor threadjack.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UGH! So obnoxious!

Yesterday my husband and I took Biscuit for a walk in a fairly busy neighborhood with a lot of car traffic. There was a lady with two large dogs (easily 80 lb), one leashed and one not. WTF why would you only leash one of your dogs? This is a big city and we have a leash law for a good reason. The unleashed one charged Biscuit (who is already skittish of other dogs on leash), snarled and growled, then bit her neck - and I mean her entire neck was in his mouth. Luckily Biscuit's leash is very short so my husband was RIGHT THERE and quickly shoved this other dog off Biscuit. The whole thing was over in a couple seconds and luckily neither Biscuit nor my husband got hurt. But FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. The lady didn't say a single word to us, just leashed her dog, then started screaming at it and hitting it with the leash - great lesson to be teaching, lady! She would have done better to hit herself with the leash for being a complete idiot. ]

Some people are just too stupid and thoughtless to own dogs!

Phew, sorry for the minor threadjack.
OMG! That sounds SO scary!! This dog wasn't being aggressive just very, very interested and I panicked.

Fortunately, I don't see too many loose dogs in the streets but I see SO many people with unleashed dogs on our coastal trail here, from which there is a sheer 50' drop down to the beach level. I read about a number of dogs plunging off the cliff in the vet reviews I read when we moved here & needed a new vet. I can't imagine taking that risk, esp. since seagulls & pelicans fly pretty much at eye level & would be a very fun thing to chase after. I'd never let Molly off leash here. People take ridiculously unnecessary risks with their dogs. I just don't understand it.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
People are unbelievable; I'm glad everyone was alright in those situations.

Last week, my father walked Luke (I was sick) and he came home and told me that Luke was attacked. He was fine, but the woman was barely holding the leash and her dog has been aggressive with Luke from day one. The dog got out of her owner's grip, charged at my father and Luke, and attempted to bite Luke's neck (almost did in fact). Thankfully my father always carries a cane and smashed it down on the sidewalk, both dogs broke up. My dog isn't afraid to fight back and the lady had the nerve to tell my father to relax and she didn't apologize either. My father said, "Relax! Your dog attacked mine!" Too bad we couldn't report it because even though Luke was attacked, her dog was still on a leash.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
This is exactly he Eason I carried a hot shot when I walked in the city, friendly or not if a dog is barreling towards me, they are getting 50k volts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Everyone in my neighborhood carries a large stick when they walk...whether they are walking dogs or not. Loose dogs are just so common. We have never had to strike a dog, but we've use it to place it in front of our dog which, along with waving it about, seems to creep out most dogs. Aesop is NOT a fan of dogs charging him. I just don't understand how hard it is to confine your dog...

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
She had zero recall on the dog and kept shouting at me "He's friendly!"
Next time, do what a breeder friend of mine has taken to doing: Yell, "Mine's really sick!" It's amazing how quickly people grab their loose dogs then. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sometimes I get really upset with people.

One day I was walking my dog, and another dog off leash in front of an apartment ran over to us. The encounter was friendly. However, the dog's owner got a stick and started whipping the dog. I yelled at her, She ignored me. I never went that way again.

·
Registered
871 Posts
how scary! I remember when zoey was small, like 8 lbs or so, and I was walking her. An ENORMOUS dog got out of a yard and came charging. I couldnt think of anything else to do but hold her up in the air over my head (luckily she was on harness!) while the big dog walked on its hind legs circling us, showing teeth and growling. This went on for several minutes before the owner came out finally and got the dog.

Beat him, kicked him, screaming and swearing at him all the way back home.

Gee, wonder why the dog was mean?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That sounds scary, OP! I love big dogs (generally, big dogs are calmer than small dogs), but I was aware with Muggsy that a lot of people are intimidated by big dogs so I always kept him under control. To me, that's part of owning a dog, just like feeding it. You go ahead and make a scene, she's being irresponsible. If nothing else, Muggsy would have killed a dog that charged him like that, does she want her dog dead?

I'm glad Biscuit's okay, too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Last month about 11 pm I stepped out the front door to get the mail. I live in a very small town that is dead after 8pm. The three Poms like to go out front and pee. Bored with the backyard I guess. Anyway, the *&%@ neighbors border collie/aussie type dog raced over and grabbed our smallest one, 7 lb Squirt. I really believe all her hair saved her because he didn't get a good first bite before the ()%&($& neighbor got a hold of him. Can you believe when it was all over, they didn't even come and say sorry or ask if she was ok. My husband is disabled and sick with kidney disease and this little dog means a lot to him. He was so upset he rolled over there and yelled until the ^&%$ came out. The dog was gone for a couple of weeks, out to his parents farm I suspect. Then they put some slats on the side of their pen that faces our back yard, to stop his fence running. I have 10 years worth of stories about these people. I sent the vet bill with delivery confirmation so they couldn't say they didn't get it. That's the kind of people they are. Sorry for the novella, it was just so upsetting. And we had to start our Teddy on seizure meds today. I hope it works.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think people are clueless on the harm that some of their dogs can do. We live in a subdivision where a lot of ppl let their dogs have free range and roam all over the place. My dog doesn't always have his leash on b/c he's blind but he is NEVER allowed out of my yard unless we are walking to my in laws house across the street. However, 2 houses down they have 3 dachshunds that TERRORIZE the whole subdivision. They come and poop in my yard and sometimes under my car port. Also they run after you and continuously bark at you even when i'm in my own yard! i can't even take my dogs to walk past their house bc they come to the road and growl and bark at our feet. I have a mastiff and a lab, the mastiff is full grown but my lab is only about 14 weeks. If my mastiff decides to "pick up" one of these dogs while their in our yard barking and growling at me, i prob wouldn't feel bad about it. He is leashed when on walks but when the dogs are pretty much attacking him and running after us as we try to walk away its kind of hard to deal with. UGH HATE BAD NEIGHBORS!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was aware with Muggsy that a lot of people are intimidated by big dogs so I always kept him under control.
Yeah - I have found that out too and my dog isn't THAT big - shes only 47 lbs and way too puppy-ish :)

I'm so happy that all the dogs are okay. Some people just shouldn't own dogs. Our neighbor has a little terrier mix that they tie up outside every evening. Everytime we walk by the house the dog barks, but not in an aggressive way. My husband said that one day the dog got loose and when he took bonnie out, the dog tried to attack Bonnie.

Another dog owner in my neighborhood has a poodle mix. That dog is THE most aggressive dog i've seen. And the owner doesn't care for it. The dog was loose in the neighborhood for WEEKs, it would tear up all the trash bags/cans on trash days. We couldn't step outside our house without it trying to attack. I even called the local poodle rescue to help the dog out - b/c my husband said he saw signs of it having mange and I just felt SO bad for the dog for being so scared all the time. We haven't seen the dog out lately - but my husband said he found out who the owner is.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
My dog Frosty was attacked as a 4 month old puppy in a very similar situation. We were walking, on leash, and a a lady lost control of her dog in her front yard and he ran to the street, grabbed my puppy, and started shaking him in his mouth with me still holding the other end of the leash and screaming.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I really hope Frosty is okay and didn't have any health issues afterwards.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So she told you to stay away after you cursed her out. The nerve of some people.
Nice attempt at obfuscation but if you read the entire story I only cursed her out because she wouldn't control her enormous dog who wouldn't leave my dog alone. And her telling me to stay out of "her" neighborhood was in response to my suggestion that her dog not be let free to roam & chase after people.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dog Frosty was attacked as a 4 month old puppy in a very similar situation. We were walking, on leash, and a a lady lost control of her dog in her front yard and he ran to the street, grabbed my puppy, and started shaking him in his mouth with me still holding the other end of the leash and screaming.
OMG! So scary!! People just don't think! I always think to myself, even if you don't care about me and my dog, don't you care about your own? WHY would you put your dog in a situation where they could be accused of being aggressive.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
OMG! So scary!! People just don't think! I always think to myself, even if you don't care about me and my dog, don't you care about your own? WHY would you put your dog in a situation where they could be accused of being aggressive.
This lady is just clueless on many levels. The experience made me very jumpy about loose dogs when mine are on a leashed walk, so I don't blame anybody for not wanting a dog running up to theirs. I am all for letting dogs socialize, but in a pre-planned way, with owners I know.

Bonnie bear, he is ok physically, but mentally he has issues that I believe are realted.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts