Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think our puppy (a rescue from animal humane) Gracie may be an Australian kelpie. The pictures that we've seen online look amazingly like her. My question is, she's always sat a little lopsided on one haunch. Do kelpie s normally sit like that? I've seen a couple of pictures that suggest so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My little poodle mix sits like that. I've read it can be indicative of hip problems, but since my guy has never (knock on wood) had any issues with his hips and the vet has never seem concerned, I don't worry about it. All of my dogs are on joint supplements from puppyhood as a preventative measure, anyways.

My 11 year old arthritic Pyr sits like that. My other dog sits 'clean'.

But I wouldn't call it a Kelpie thing - especially for a dog who might not even have a drop of Kelpie in her lol. I'd call it a 'some dogs just sit like that' thing. I saw a youtube video about dogs who sit 'sloppy' that you could look up if it interests you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My little poodle mix sits like that. I've read it can be indicative of hip problems, but since my guy has never (knock on wood) had any issues with his hips and the vet has never seem concerned, I don't worry about it. All of my dogs are on joint supplements from puppyhood as a preventative measure, anyways.

My 11 year old arthritic Pyr sits like that. My other dog sits 'clean'.

But I wouldn't call it a Kelpie thing - especially for a dog who might not even have a drop of Kelpie in her lol. I'd call it a 'some dogs just sit like that' thing. I saw a youtube video about dogs who sit 'sloppy' that you could look up if it interests you.
Sitting "sloppy" sounds about right lol. I'll check that out. So far it's just pretty cute. I've been feeding her a good puppy chow and an trying to gradually increase her exercise. Hoping to avoid joint problems down the line. I hadn't thought about joint supplements though, I'll check with the vet.
It really doesn't matter to us what her breed is since she's just a family pet. I've always liked mixed breeds anyway!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
As far as the supplements go, there is a lot of controversy about whether or not they make a significant difference - and it's unlikely your vet (any vet) has substantial education in nutrition. I'd never say don't ask your vet, of course, but I'd suggest doing your own research as well, or perhaps consulting with someone with actual certifications in canine nutrition that can recommend supplements.

My train of thought is that supplements may or may not help - but if there's a chance I can prevent my dog from joint issues down the road by giving him supplements now when he is young and healthy, why not? No harm done, other than a couple bucks a month being spent on supplements.

The best thing you can do for joints, though, is to keep her nice and lean!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts