Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okie...so Bolo Monster got a little boo boo playing around yesterday...she got a minor scrape on her belly...MINOR superficial scrape..

and she had a vet appointment today. I take her in for her shot updates and checkup...and the tech sees the scrape and gasps "Why didn't you bring her in when this happened?! We could have treated it for you!"

:confused:

not every little incident requires vet care..I mean REALLY?! She didn't even notice it. I cleaned it with some antibacterial stuff and let it be. its fine.

is it common for new techs(id never seen this girl before) to be sooooo reactive?

So where does one draw the line between doing just some minor first aid and rushing off to the vet?

if she's puking, has weird poo, won't eat, has weight fluctuations or is profusely bleeding, limping, crying in pain, has a persistent rash/lesion or is atypically lethargic is where I usually draw the line.

but a scrape equivalent to a child skinning their knee? ummm....I don't think im being neglectful for treating it myself thankya very much. :rolleyes:

/rant

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think we all have different levels of knowledge and confidence regarding our dogs' health, so some people rush their dogs to the vet at the sign of a scraped knee and others won't take the dog if it gets hit by a car. "Hey, he's still walking..."

Even though I've had some experience dealing with the issues at home, I tend to take Jaia to the vet for boo-boos... It's my own paranoia. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
For cuts and scrapes, it's good to use an ointment, OR you can go to a natural food store and get your dog some aloe vera gel or juice and put it on the dog's scrape. It should heal up rather quickly. You can also look into getting a book called " Herbs for dogs" by Dr. Kidd It will give you alot of home remedies that you can have for your dog, you'd be amazed at the remedies they have for dogs. It works, it did for mine :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts