Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled a tick off the back of my neck. This is the eighth tick my husband and/or I have found on ourselves or our pups in less than a week.

Two of my close friends have Lyme disease... ticks are nothing to mess around with here. My husband and I had our first human baby in February... he was a preemie so he's extra-vulnerable, and the idea of picking a fat juicy tick off his skin makes my skin crawl.

DH doesn't want to use chemicals on the pups, but we live on an acre of wooded property... and Lyme disease is nothing to mess around with.

There is one area of tall grass that DH is going to mow down tonight. We have some diatomaceous earth so I'm putting that on the Poodles and whatever is left we'll spread outside.

I've read numerous threads on tick prevention but it seems that most things are effective against fleas (not an issue with us), but not so much against ticks.

So, I plead with any of you who are tick experts... what else can we do??

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If you don't mind using chemicals, I hear amitraz collars are very effective (for the dogs anyway, don't think they work on humans!:p). One brand name is Preventic.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you... we normally don't use chemicals (on us, on the pups, or in our home) but for this, I'm willing to try chemicals!! I'll look into Preventic... thank you!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I started giving Bella the garlic tabs with her food again because she would walk through the brush for 5.3 seconds and come out with 6+ ticks on her legs.

Either it's luck, or the garlic really helps. I haven't seen nearly as many on her. Her breath will keep away the vampires, too.

I also have her on Frontline - although I hate using that stuff. The ticks are just too bad this year to risk it though.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I never used the chemical stuff til last year. We had ticks but only a few, then got fleas. This was the first time for this stuff. So, last year, got some Advantage for the fleas. This year, had ticks in March, for cryin out loud. Kept getting them even with using a variety of other methods. Finally got K9 Advantix. You have to weigh the pros & cons. They say this is going to be the worst year ever for ticks

·
Registered
583 Posts
Frontline Plus for the dogs. Spray the yard and keep any tall grass cut.
This is a bad year for ticks and the sooner you treat the better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can you get Advantix? It covers fleas tics and mosquitoes.I hate ticks!!..they´re SO so many here too.You wouldent beleive how bad it gets here this time of year.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
+1

i would add that you should also do a daily check on your dog(s), yourself and any children with you if you spend any significant time outdoors in likely tick-infested areas. And that includes any areas that aren't mostly pavement.

Learn how to safely and effectively remove embedded ticks from dogs and humans.

Regular commercial "insect" repellants - such as OFF - DO repel ticks (even though they aren't insects). So use them on adults and kids following the instructions. . Don't use them on your dog(s).

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have a non-chemical method: If you get some 100% pure Rose Geranium essential oil and put one drop on the dogs' COLLARS (NOT their skin) once a week (you can do twice a week if necessary, and if ticks are that bad in your area you may need to) it repels ticks. I have had several people on the husky forum I frequently post on swear that this stuff really works.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
+2 .....

I have two of my dogs on this and one on Revolution. ( also a topical )

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have a non-chemical method: If you get some 100% pure Rose Geranium essential oil and put one drop on the dogs' COLLARS (NOT their skin) once a week (you can do twice a week if necessary, and if ticks are that bad in your area you may need to) it repels ticks. I have had several people on the husky forum I frequently post on swear that this stuff really works.
The straight essential oil can be very irritating to your dog's skin. So here is a safer method that some people use. Combine 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil with about 20-25 drops of essential oil in a small glass container with a dropper - available in health food stores. Shake well. Several drops can then be applied to your dog's collar - assuming it is a leather or fabric type. Don't apply the oil directly to your dog's skin, or get it near the eyes, because even when diluted it can cause irritation. Reapply to the collar every week or two as required.

I know people who use this and swear by these "organic tick collars" - and I know others who have tried it and swear at it as completely useless. So I make no guarantees. But at least if you do it this way, you won't cause your dog any discomfort.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
We just picked up some BEST YET from the CedarCide store. So far, we're very happy with it. I didn't want to treat with chemicals so maybe this is an option for you? http://www.cedarcidestore.com

I also noticed that they came out with an even stronger tick repellent formula.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The straight essential oil can be very irritating to your dog's skin. So here is a safer method that some people use. Combine 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil with about 20-25 drops of essential oil in a small glass container with a dropper - available in health food stores. Shake well. Several drops can then be applied to your dog's collar - assuming it is a leather or fabric type. Don't apply the oil directly to your dog's skin, or get it near the eyes, because even when diluted it can cause irritation. Reapply to the collar every week or two as required.

I know people who use this and swear by these "organic tick collars" - and I know others who have tried it and swear at it as completely useless. So I make no guarantees. But at least if you do it this way, you won't cause your dog any discomfort.
When I put it on my dogs' collars I take them off to apply the drop of oil and let it dry before I put it back on them so the oil never comes in contact with their skin.

Also you can do this for fleas with 100% lavender, cedar wood, or tea tree essential oil.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Donatello is on Bugs Off Garlic, and has been for a couple years now. It's built up in his system, so even when we're down at my SO's house in the country, I don't ever worry about fleas or ticks. I still check for them of course, and every other week I bathe him in a good flea and tick shampoo. He hasn't had a single flea or tick in two years...... A friend of mine had let her dog slack with the garlic tablets and they got a real bad flea infestation that they could only curb with pesticides and topical flea treatments.

I'm curious about the oils on the collars though... That's neat...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
We use Frontline Plus (the plus helps with ticks).

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I tried the Bug Off garlic for a summer (starting in March), and I didn't see any difference in the number of fleas OR ticks. It's great that it works for some people but nothing here.

I'm using Revolution this year. It now says that it does work against ticks, but I just rely on the old hunt and squish method whenever we go anywhere tick-y :p.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Donatello is on Bugs Off Garlic, and has been for a couple years now. It's built up in his system, so even when we're down at my SO's house in the country, I don't ever worry about fleas or ticks. I still check for them of course, and every other week I bathe him in a good flea and tick shampoo. He hasn't had a single flea or tick in two years...... A friend of mine had let her dog slack with the garlic tablets and they got a real bad flea infestation that they could only curb with pesticides and topical flea treatments.

I'm curious about the oils on the collars though... That's neat...
I thought the same thing bout the Bug Off Garlic, Boone has been on it for four, five years and he only had one tick last year. Not this year, had four so far.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi MrsJohnnyG!
I completely understand your frustration. You are right - Lyme Disease is no joke. We had a number of them last summer, but after we started Max on Revolution, he has had none (knock on wood!). Like you, we try to limit the amount of chemicals in our household, but we bit the bullet for this one.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Honestly? I HATE using chemicals too, but it's the only thing that keeps the ticks away.

I prefer Frontline, however it does not work for us. In fact any time I've used it recently, I seem to find MORE ticks.

Sooo... we use K9 Advantix. Last year, I actually put it on him in June and did not again all summer and never saw any ticks.

It's the only thing that works around here, and Jackson came up with lymes disease (was limping, so showing symptoms) about 2 years ago... and now the tests came back negative, I think since we treated it so quickly.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Know the symptoms of lyme and treat for it if you suspect that you or one of the dogs has it. Lyme is no joke, but if you know the symptoms and treat it within a reasonable time frame, it really isn't dangerous. Doxycyclin is a miracle drug.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts