Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what age this starts and typically passes? My pup just turned 5 months and it seems now that I am the least important thing to him. He was so well behaved until the past 2 weeks. So I have a feeling his "teenage" years are starting. Any advice on not going completely crazy during this period?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Could be starting... 5 months seems young-ish for adolescence to start, but it varies dog to dog. Just keep at it, practice NILIF, and try to pull through!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Anyone know what age this starts and typically passes? My pup just turned 5 months and it seems now that I am the least important thing to him. He was so well behaved until the past 2 weeks. So I have a feeling his "teenage" years are starting. Any advice on not going completely crazy during this period?

Just set and enforce your rules consistently and use nilif (as already suggested). This is the time to start working on formal obedience training for short periods of time every day.

And repeat several times each day: "This too shall pass.":D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Rules for dealing with adolescence in dogs:

1) Maintain your sense of humor.

2) Be smarter than the dog.

3) If, at any time, you are unable to observe Rule #2, see Rule #1.

This has generally worked for me. I haven't killed one yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Haha. Yea I just about lost it at the dog park yesterday (where he actually bit me to try to make me put him down).

NILF is something I've done from the get go. So I've been staying pretty consistent with that. However, hitting the obedience training a little more each day sounds like a good plan.

I thought he was a little young too, but he's showing the signs. Especially he was a pretty well behaved dog until 2 weeks ago. Taking 3 commands to sit it not something he used to do.

BTW, no one's said when they usualy pass through this stage. Any idea what the average is?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It depends on the dog (just like people). But most of my dogs have been through at least the worst of it by age 2.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
NILIF is "nothing in life is free." The dog must do something you want in order to get anything he wants, from dinner to going outside for a walk to getting in or out of the car.

At 5 months, most puppies start to develop their serious independence from their Mom. Since Mom is not there, you get to substitute. Your puppy is going thru normal growing up. He may actually go thru something like this AGAIN when he gets older. Oh yeah.

Since you are noticing a lack of attentiveness to your cues and commands, go back and REALLY work on an 'attention word' like "watch" or "Ready" or (what I use) "attention!" Work on focus and if the dog ignores a command stand and wait. Sometimes after 3 seconds they will come across. If you repeat commands, you will further desensitize your dog to the command.

You may have to treat him like he does not know any of the commands he previously did and retrain. Just be consistant and retrain and work on focus and attention is a jillion different places and situations.

..and when your dog reaches 14 months or so you may get to go thru this again...

Ain't dogs Fun?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahaha that was funny. :D
Funny but I think she's right. I'm seeing that half the battle is getting myself to calm down so I can focus on continually teaching him now instead of getting frustrated. And at times just laugh at what he does. It's just 1 year of what will hopefully be a very productive well behaved life. haha.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts

HaHa! Oh that's good enough to frame and hang in a conspicuous spot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts