Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When you have an hour or two to spare with your canine pal, please watch the movie "The Tale of Hachiko", whether it's the Japanese version, or the 2009 release with Richard Gear.

This film is based on a true story about a Professor and an Akita named Hachiko who met in a Train station where Hachiko was found wandering around, with a broken wooden crate nearby. The address of where the crate was being sent to was indistinguishable, and the intended owner was never found. Reluctantly at first, the Professor decided to take Hachiko into his home, and their bond grew.

As Hachiko grew, he became larger, stronger, and more determined to be by his master's side every day. Every morning when his master went to work, he would whine, and paw at the fence, wondering why he could not go with him. With a fierce determination, Hachiko always found a way to dig, climb, jump his way over the fence, and make the journey to the Train station where they had first met. To the amazement of all the passerbys and local store owners near the Train Station, the Professor would get off the train station every day only to find his loyal Akita, Hachiko waiting for him. At first, he was astounded and a bit confused why his dog dutifully came to wait for him every day. Then, he came to look forward to seeing Hachiko, and would gleefully embrace him when Hachiko ran towards him to say hello, and welcome home. One day, Hachiko was loyally waiting for the Professor at the same spot, and the same time as he always does. But the Professor never came. The next day, Hachiko waited patiently again, only to see that the Professor had yet to emerge from the train. Little did Hachiko know, the Professor passed away, well before his time. Nonetheless, Hachiko remained faithful and loyal, coming to the train station every day to wait for him. Many people wondered how a dog can do this for several weeks following his master's death. Passerbys and friends of Hachiko tried to no avail to tell him that his master would never come back. Hachiko never listened. He believed his master would come through those doors like he always did. Nine years later, Hachiko, now much older, slowly makes his way to the Train station. His joints and muscles are wearing down, and he pants as he dutifully makes his way through the train tracks. Finally, he reaches his destination, and he sits where he always sits, at he same time as always, faithfully awaiting for his master to come through those doors. That day, Hachiko waited until night fall, and as the snow was gently falling, he closed his eyes, and passed away. He was finally reunited with his master, and was lovingly embraced again.

Hachi, whose bronze statue, to this day, stands watch over Shibuya Station, Tokyo.

Richard Gere did a really great job playing the kind, and loving master, and Hachiko, this beautiful Akita, reminds me of the special bond that we have with our dogs.

This movie brought tears to my eyes, and for the first time ever, I let Butters sleep with me on the bed because it broke my heart so, and oh, did she sleep ever so soundly! Didn't wake up once during the night, and when she did, she gave me kisses to wake me up and tell me she loves me <3

·
Registered
11 Posts
I watched the movie on this one and it was a really good movie. It was very inspirational and indeed one of the best movies I saw when it comes to pets and dogs. You can also try to watch 8 below, marley and me movie were owen wilson is the actor.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well, no need to watch it now since you gave the entire story away! - sort of reminds me of the loyalty my Shiba Inu has; every single day during the work week he seems to know exactly what time I come home from work; I have a large frosted glass area at and on my front door, when i'm pulling up to the house each and every day I can see Cash's figure sitting there right at the glass waiting for me. Occasionally I've come home a few minutes earlier, and I tested his sense of time by getting home 15 mins earlier, No Cash sitting at the door - wait another 10 mins sitting in the truck and eventually Cash appears in the glass window and sits and waits. He is also very loyal when we leave him to run loose off leash if we're out camping, or if we've made a day trip to go biking somewhere, when we've left, he stays in the area we departed from, so if its the truck, or the trailer, he does not leave the last place he saw us until we arrive back. I think loyalty runs heavy in the blood of Japanese Spitz :)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Watched it and bawled. Last year had to put my beloved Akita mix, Shania, to sleep. The movie really hit close to home. Mine would wait by the end of the driveway for my return home. Sad to this day not to see her there. Very touching movie

·
Registered
11 Posts
my 3 year old daughter cried and keep asking why hachicko was so hard headed so I had to explain to her before she sleep. The story somehow was also based on some documentary facts right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.