Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I personally think there will be no end to it. It is cruel and mean and i hope it will stop but in reality I dont think it will. The only thing I can think of is for ANY dog owner of EVERY breed have to "certify" for a dog and the owner and the dog are checked up on at-least three time a year. It will never happen though.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I can think of is for ANY dog owner of EVERY breed have to "certify" for a dog and the owner and the dog are checked up on at-least three time a year. It will never happen though.

Thats a very interesting idea..Kinda like taking your car in for inspection.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe the police should confiscate the home of the offender...
Just like they confiscate the car of a drunk driver.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I, too, don't think it will ever really end. You can outlaw it and throw the book at the offenders but that's not going to stop them. Murder is illegal everywhere and the murderers sometimes get life in prison with no parol but that doesn't seem to stop other people from doing it. **shrugs**

·
Banned
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I, too, don't think it will ever really end. You can outlaw it and throw the book at the offenders but that's not going to stop them. Murder is illegal everywhere and the murderers sometimes get life in prison with no parol but that doesn't seem to stop other people from doing it. **shrugs**
Dog Fighting isnt actually Murder...but it is Cruelty To Animals...and Involves Gambling and Unreported Income .
The IRS should Tax , Fine and Imprison those who fail to report income.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't believe it'll ever go away. Cases like Michael Vick's dog fighting ring only proved to me that there are a lot of people with political and monetary power, backing the sport. Until those people change, the sport will never disappear completely, which disappoints me.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Dog Fighting isnt actually Murder...but it is Cruelty To Animals...and Involves Gambling and Unreported Income .
The IRS should Tax , Fine and Imprison those who fail to report income.
??? why would you report income on something that is illegal?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
??? why would you report income on something that is illegal?
Exactly! And the IRS is a lot better at enforcing things than the criminal justice system :p.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I personally think there will be no end to it. It is cruel and mean and i hope it will stop but in reality I dont think it will. The only thing I can think of is for ANY dog owner of EVERY breed have to "certify" for a dog and the owner and the dog are checked up on at-least three time a year. It will never happen though.
Will never work..... The real fighters are off the radar.... The dogs are kept in out of the way places. A few recent high profile cases have sent those involved deeper underground .

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I have thought about this and I think if all dog owner were forced to get a licence to own a dog it might slow it down.
Have each and every dog microchiped so if they disppose of a dead dog they can be found through the microchip.
And a licence must not just be a simple questionaire, it would have to be a tough one with how to do this or that as well as care.
It can be done and I think this would stop a lot of bad owners, but will it stop bad owners.
To this I don't think it will, as I think it could only make it become an under ground thing.
It is worth a thought I think.
In much of the U.S. you already have to license your dog.... Annual license. Vets handle it. Compliance is not great..

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
In much of the U.S. you already have to license your dog.... Annual license. Vets handle it. Compliance is not great..
Three years of living in Denver and I never got Kaki a dog license. Not once did I have a problem.
(I have better things to spend my money on. Now we no longer live in a city requiring a license.)

Licensing dogs, testing people... These things would never work. It would only serve to make life harder for your average dog owners.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
In the United States, murder is illegal. The penalties are very, very high. The likelihood of getting caught when you commit a murder is surprisingly high. There is enormous social pressure NOT to commit murder. In fact, the most popular religious beliefs even agree that it is wrong to murder.

And yet, murder still exists...

We can't legislate morality, even when we do.

·
Registered
291 Posts
First off, how about we stop calling it a sport. Whilst the activity may fit any definition of the word "sport", it is neither a sport nor sporting.

You will never stop an activity that involves gambling and makes the bad cuys millions. Dog fighting is already banned in most civilised countries but it still exists.

Licencing dog owners is one of my wishes as well, but only so morons who want to own a dog get some eductaion on how to go about training and owning a dog. Criminals will simply drop into a neighbourhood and steal the dogs they want.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Dog fighters don't license dogs. Most rent or use empty places to fight. They won't take a microchipped dog to be disposed of properly to get caught. As long as money remains in the fights, it will continue.

So, how about the offenders, when caught, are put in a ring with several dogs. Trained, aggressive dogs, and let the punishment fit the crime. If they survive, they can go. Busted again, repeat it.

Some places cut off your hand if you steal. That's a little more of a deterrent than a week in jail. I feel what you do, should be done right back to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts