Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I'm NOT talking about the more typical 'consecutive reverse sneezing', but rather the head-shakin' lip-flappin' singular SNORT that occurs from time to time. I think our dogs have all probably experienced it on various occassions, ie: after grooming, or while teaching complicated new behaviours etc etc etc.

Anybody have any ideas, theories, or postulations as to what it actually "means" in dog-speak, or what it signifies ???

I know I know ... totally silly question, on a completely banal subject matter :yawn:. Honestly, I'll be surprised if anyone even responds, lol. Might be good for a minor -league giggle though, ... I hope.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Bentley does it if he is sniffing on usually on the trail of a rabbit or a raccoon. I think it means there so excited and can't pant(because when you get excited you can get sweaty,lol) they snort. During training he has done it once and snorted in the middle of 4-H, I think he was annoyed. Was that the ?,lol. I was confused.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oh my! Blue Boy snorts every time he gets excited about looking for a place to potty ... that he is marking over! This is pretty much an every day thing. It sounds like a little piggy snort. Lol! :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota does it when he's done chasing down a particularly good scent, usually a rabbit. It's like he's resetting his nose.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is not really the same thing as what you are talking about, but my golden does this weird thing sometimes. It's not sharp, like a snort. It's kind of long and slow....like a nasally inhale. Similar to when a human is snorting back phlegm before hocking up a loogie.

It could almost be mistaken for a growl, but I'm quite sure it's completely different because he only seems to do it when he's happy, like when he's greeting me. Anyone else's dog do this thing?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Luke does that only when 1--he really wants to play and does it before he lightly growls at us. The growls are just another way of saying "Play with me for crying out loud!" It's not a mean growl at all. And 2--when he thinks he's right. Sometimes I'll say something like, "You shouldn't do that." (yeah I talk to my dog) and he'll do that little snort like, "Whatever. I'm doing it my way."

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's like he's resetting his nose.
:), I like that theory.

I have an older girl who usually needs to be helped up stairs. As soon as I set her at the top, she snorts. Almost as if she's inappreciative of my efforts. I'll occassionally joke with her and say *well then, do it yourself lady*, lol. Gotta love the oldsters.

I also have noticed it the odd time when teaching new behaviours, where there is likely some confusion on the dog's part / perhaps poor communication on the handler's part. I've heard some people refer to it as "the learning snort". Don't know if that's true, or accurate, but it does seem to possibly fit.

Anyways ... thanks for the responses everyone. I was pleasantly surprised at that, and at least slightly enlightened. Although in the end, the SNORT's true meaning shall remain somewhat of a mystery, I s'pose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts