Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hamilton has what I have affectionately dubbed "The Sneezles." This is when you sneeze like a maniac, with some snorting and reverse sneezing thrown in there for fun, NONSTOP for two days. We went to the vet - it's either a virus, or allergies, or maybe a bacterial infection, so she gave me antibiotics and said he can't be around other dogs until he stops sneezing.

Aside from the sneezing he is 100% normal. He isn't oozing from anywhere, he doesn't have a fever, his lungs are clear, he isn't coughing, he's eating and drinking and he is not even minimally lethargic. Did I mention he's 15.5 wks old!? And that he couldn't go to play group today?! And also that it's raining and we can't go play in the yard?! Somebody please tell me this isn't going to last long. We had to cancel tomorrow's play date too, and are supposed to go to a doxie meetup Saturday but we can't if he's still sneezled! >.<

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Everyone I know with dogs in my area is having allergy problems of late. We took Biscuit to the vet last week because we actually thought she had kennel cough, but it turned out to be just allergies!

It shouldn't last long, but in the meantime, have you tried allergy pills?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet said she didn't want me doing allergy meds... she's treating based on him starting puppy group last week.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Ah, makes sense.

It's funny how much vets (and human doctors too, I guess) can vary. Our vet said to try the allergy pills and if that didn't help, then allergies would be ruled out and we would try antibiotics.

Poor Hamilton. I hope he feels better soon! In the meantime...try teaching him some "puppy pushups." Down...up...down...up...down...click, treat! Rinse, repeat. Tires the dog out nicely, and improves response times.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it still considered reverse sneezing if he doesn't make a honking/gagging noise? He extends his neck and inhales sharply multiple times in succession, and sometimes honks a little at the end, but he doesn't repeatedly honk/gag.

He is doing better this morning. He's sneezed a lot less than yesterday, so hopefully he'll be way better by Saturday!!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope! He's is 100% fine other than the nasal symptoms, though they have been getting much better. He went over an hour without sneezing last night, and I haven't heard him sneeze yet this morning (though my husband said he did once or twice), when earlier in the week he was sneezing at least every 2-3 minutes. Even then he was his normal goofball self.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I was watching for those, but none of the above! No head/ear shaking either - at least nothing outside the realm of normal for him. He is sneezing about once an hour or less now, and hasn't had any reverse sneezing fits today. He's been on antibiotics since Wednesday night. Would it be wrong to bring him to his play group tomorrow?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts