Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out alone walking the puppy the other night when a lady, on the other side of the road, went past with her dog off-leash (illegal around here). She turned down a side street and went into her house while her dog crossed the road and came right up to Comet and me. I held him close on the leash and sat him and I think he could tell that I was extremely nervous because he didn't bark or act at all like he normally does (he LOVES other dogs and we're working on getting him to act exactly how he did the other night - but it was a total fluke then!). Thankfully the dog went away after just looking and sniffing a bit. But honestly, this is the type of situation that freaks me out the most. I've only recently been converted to the dog side of pet ownership and I'm still a little nervous around dogs other than mine.

What should I do when I meet a dog that is unleashed with no owner in sight? I was without DH that night and am quite often alone with the kids and the dog anyways, so that needs to be taken into consideration too (I am usually the one who has the dog and the youngest is usually in a stroller - I can only follow one "toddler" at a time!). But I need to have some skills for this. It could have been a totally unfriendly dog.

And really - that lady ticked me off - who parks their bike and goes into their house without realizing their dog isn't with them?? :mad:

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I bring a walking stick with me. If I'm with my leashed dog and some unleashed dog comes up to me, I won't hesitate to wack it or at least push it away, even if the owners are right there.

·
Banned
363 Posts
At a minimum, if you are unsure of the other dog (especially if his owner is not around), you should step in front of your pup (ie put yourself between them) before he gets close. If the dog continues to approach stand tall and shout at the dog. Dogs away from their home/owner etc are much less likely to be aggressive towards you than your dog. Its a lot easier to warn another dog off than to stop an attack that has started already.

Walking sticks are OK but...... dogs have really really hard heads. I mean no prejudice but I don't think the average woman could hit a large dog hard enough to stop it if it has really gotten aggressive - and just may make matters worse. A stick is better than nothing (at least if you are holding it the dog will be more likely to bite at the stick than your arm or leg).

Want some peace of mind? Go to a hunting store and buy 2 little tins of bear spray (or dog spray if they have it), one to practice with and the other to carry. Don't shoot it like a gun, hold it down with your elbow near your hip and watch where the stream of spray goes. Beware of the wind! And of course use the spray only as an absolute last resort.

Lastly, try to stay calm. Your nervousness will make your puppy nervous which can itself induce an attack. 99% of dogs are just going to come over for a sniff and be on their way.

I bring a walking stick with me. If I'm with my leashed dog and some unleashed dog comes up to me, I won't hesitate to wack it or at least push it away, even if the owners are right there.
You must be making a lot of friends out there. LOL. I can just picture my dog trotting up to you with his tail wagging and CRACK ! on the head. (Just kidding I am sure you are judicious about who you wack).

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I've whacked an attacking dog hard enough with a walking stick to get it to run off and I'm not a grown woman ;)

It's different if your dog doesn't like dogs. You don't want some strange dog coming over to have a sniff. But I don't want to blast a friendly dog with pepper spray haha. I'd rather just push it away with a stick. It helps put distance between your dog and the other dog. And if the owner is there, I would tell them to get there dog. If their isn't an owner, you can also put your dog behind you, like mentioned, and put your hand out like a stop sign and say NO! Sometimes it's enough to intimidate them to run off. Sometimes you have to step toward the dog to intimidate it some more.

I 2nd the pepper/bear spray though, I'm going to get some of that too.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yeah but you are from Alaska. My comments only pertained to the mainland U.S. women.
That comment made me arch my eyebrows...

I'll be watching this thread for ideas... there's a family on my street that just lets their dog run loose(he antagonizes our dogs from outside our fence...) and I'd LOVE to know how to fend him off... but unfortunately I've met the dog and rather like him- too much to whack him with a stick anyways. Maybe I should whack his idiot owners over the head.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I will also be watching.

This also scares me, I live by a park where people do not leash there dogs all the time...But I also have raccoons to look out for. Angry ones with babies as I found out tonight. I can't walk Ty at a park yet, but so many dogs around here. I'm scared one will just run up to us one day (as has happened with my sister in laws dog that I walk)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
That comment made me arch my eyebrows...

I'll be watching this thread for ideas... there's a family on my street that just lets their dog run loose(he antagonizes our dogs from outside our fence...) and I'd LOVE to know how to fend him off... but unfortunately I've met the dog and rather like him- too much to whack him with a stick anyways. Maybe I should whack his idiot owners over the head.
You could always just put him in your yard and keep him. Put a lock on your gate.

Give him back happily whenever they come ask for him back, and tell them if they won't keep him properly and let him be a stray you have no problem doing so, you like him and it's safer.

They might start keeping him under control just to save themselves from having to come see you to get him back.

What are they going to do, call a cop? He'll ticket them for not keeping their dog up.. ;) That is if you don't mind ending up with another dog in the end.

As for the original point I'm with the other posters, pulling your dog close and freaking out is about the best way to cause a problem. Carry a stick, some pepper spray or something to run a dog off with for if things get out of hand and be confident. 99% of dogs just want to sniff or play, it's what dogs do.

There will always be off leash dogs in the world, dealing with them is just part of dog ownership if you are going to walk your dog outside.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This isn't a recommendation, it's just how I handle this.

We see loose dogs all the time and I always assume the best. I let the dogs check each other out and just keep a close eye on things. Once the greeting is over we move on. We have yet to have an incident and like I said we see dogs A LOT.

Of course this is easy for me to do as I'm not real concerned about either of my dogs getting hurt too terribly bad before I could intervene and those with small/frail dogs don't have this luxury.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
lmao!! What's me being in Alaska have to do with anything?
It's not like I chop wood to survive in the wilderness, or beat up grizzlies that get to close :p

And I only wack dogs being outwardly aggressive. If it's a dog just coming to say hi, I just put the stick in between us, say NO and push them away. Usually they get the hint.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Yeah but you are from Alaska. My comments only pertained to the mainland U.S. women.

LOL I've whacked dogs hard enough to make them run too (with a wooden bat), of course I may not be the typical 'mainland' woman as I'm the cornfed country girl type that wrestled with her brothers and WON.

That said, I do carry pepper spray and know how to use it. I've also found airhorns to be VERY effective.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
That said, I do carry pepper spray and know how to use it. I've also found airhorns to be VERY effective.
Haha!!,im glad i dont have any sisters Carla i wouldnt live down the shame!
Then again in saying that when we were younger at family gatherings me,my 3 brothers and all our cousins would play together.
My cousin kelly could beat the crap out of all of us at that age:D

Also i wish pepper spray was legal here (nothing is:rolleyes: ) bcoz it would make many a situation with off leash dogs an easier one.

Where's Elana? I'm waiting for the cattle prod suggestion :p
LMAO,yes i was thinking that too MH.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
LOL I've whacked dogs hard enough to make them run too (with a wooden bat), of course I may not be the typical 'mainland' woman as I'm the cornfed country girl type that wrestled with her brothers and WON.

I've doused some dogs with pepper spray AND whacked a few with a stick, but am I not included in mainland women? I'm very prissy and always in heels. LOL

Airhorns were my suggestion. I've broken up dog fights by simply blasting one.

·
Banned
363 Posts
lmao!! What's me being in Alaska have to do with anything? It's not like I chop wood to survive in the wilderness, or beat up grizzlies that get to close :p
Sorry it was meant to be a compliment ........I like Alaska, where else can you walk your dog and look at Russia at the same time ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts