Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My dog is 10 months old, and still trying to housebreak her T_T

Her sign for needing to go pee is turning around in circles, which is the cue I take to take her outside, and normally she will go.

Since about a month ago I suspect she's using the spinning to get my attention, and now I can't tell if she just wants attention or needs to go outside, so of course, I take her outside, and at least half the time, she doesn't need to go.

How do I tell if she has to go when her sign is now used to get my attention?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You can't! That's always the problem with letting the dog tell you when she wants to go outside, be it with bells or going to the door or barking or any other signal determined by the dog. Eventually the dog realizes that the signal=attention and going outside, so they give the signal even when they don't have to go to the bathroom. There's no way to avoid this. We didn't even housetrain our dog using a signal like that and she still goes to the door and eyeballs us when she wants to go outside and sniff around.

If your dog is 10 months, she's old enough to be reliable. I strongly recommend giving up on the signal thing and instead putting her on a strict schedule determined by YOU. Keep her on a leash inside so she can't sneak away and have accidents.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
You can't! That's always the problem with letting the dog tell you when she wants to go outside, be it with bells or going to the door or barking or any other signal determined by the dog. Eventually the dog realizes that the signal=attention and going outside, so they give the signal even when they don't have to go to the bathroom. There's no way to avoid this. We didn't even housetrain our dog using a signal like that and she still goes to the door and eyeballs us when she wants to go outside and sniff around.

If your dog is 10 months, she's old enough to be reliable. I strongly recommend giving up on the signal thing and instead putting her on a strict schedule determined by YOU. Keep her on a leash inside so she can't sneak away and have accidents.
Thank you for this response. :) I've had the same question as Chubby. We have a schedule, but I always wonder "what if" when Katie starts staring at me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok that makes sense,

I generally don't like leashing her to me because she's a high-energy dog who likes to run around and play 99% of the day. She also never once sneaked away to have an accident. She does it right there in front of me lol! I never reprimand her for having an accident because i heard doing so can make them sneak away after. Are there any other options besides leashing and crating? We live in a small condo and I close off the bedroom door so she's always in sight to me (open concept living room/dining room/kitchen).

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
What do you do when she goes in front if you? If you catch her in the act, that's a powerful teaching moment. You should distract her immediately when you see her start to squat (something like clapping your hands loudly), pick her up (I think she's a little dog, right?) and rush her outside. Then praise lavishly and give a treat if and when she finishes outside. I agree that you shouldn't reprimand if you find out after the fact that she's had an accident, because she wouldn't understand the connection, but if you catch her in the act it's OK to interrupt her (try not to scare her) and show her what's right.

I also think it depends on how housebroken your dog is. Biscuit is totally reliable, and we do tend to take her out if she's acting like she needs to go and giving her signals repeatedly. She's on a very regular schedule, so this is an extra potty trip if she's been drinking a lot of water or something. BUT, and this is important, it's a no-fun-allowed trip outside in that case. Straight to the nearest potty spot and if she doesn't go almost right away, back inside with no sniffing or fun of any kind.

Cookieface, if you think she's trying to tell you something and it's on a regular basis, I would consider making her schedule more frequent for a little while.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
One thing that can help a BIT, when a dog gives the signal just to get to go outside, is making sure if they DON'T potty, they come right back in, no playing, no exploring, etc. Make ALL potty trips boring. (Except for the praise IF they potty)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't you run the risk of having the pee go all over you and floor if you pick her up while she's squatting? I've done it with the poo, and granted, the poo would continually to come out long before we make it outside :( I haven't had the courage to do it with pee, but I do interrupt her if I think she's going to squat, because once she squats, there's no turning back!!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Maybe, but probably not...and in any case, you have to do something to interrupt, even if she's already squatting. Otherwise she's reinforcing that inside pee=okay.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree. Interrupt her. Most times they will be startled enough by being interrupted that they'll be able to stop and finish outside. Very young puppies might not be able to do that, since their bladder control is minimal. But, if you interrupt right away, it should be ok.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks hamandeggs and doxiemommy,

I had another question I was hoping you can help me out with - she has a wire crate that's big enough for her to lie down comfortably, and she enjoys going in there and I find her sleeping in there voluntarily. However, at night time, she's in the crate in the kitchen, which is close to my bedroom but I stopped letting her sleep next to me in bed because she just whined wanting to get out. This morning, I found she had peed and pood in her crate, even though I gave her multiple chances to go outside throughout the night (midnight, 1:30am, 2:00am) and then I gave up because she wasn't going. She didn't cry or anything, and only after she pooed, she quietly gruffed, which I heard because I'm a super light sleeper, and then I saw the poo, and took her out to clean her crate.

I don't understand? I thought dogs want to keep their sleeping area clean :( Should she have an even smaller crate so she absolutely cannot move away from her poo? I feel that would be too small, and wouldn't let her stretch out comfortably (she's far more long than she is wide).

Please help me!!!!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It's a generalization that dogs won't pee/poop in their sleeping area. That's sometimes the case. But, if the need arises, and they don't get let out, they have no choice.

How long have you had her sleeping in the kitchen?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yeah, most dogs won't, but it's not universal. Was she pottying in her crate before you moved the crate to the kitchen?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
One thing that can help a BIT, when a dog gives the signal just to get to go outside, is making sure if they DON'T potty, they come right back in, no playing, no exploring, etc. Make ALL potty trips boring. (Except for the praise IF they potty)
And I would allow off leash play (in fenced yard, I take it?) AFTER the business is taken care of. Put behavior on cue (hurry up!) and then allow play for a few minutes

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, most dogs won't, but it's not universal. Was she pottying in her crate before you moved the crate to the kitchen?
Yeah, she was having accidents when she slept right next to me, and some people suggested to let her sleep on my bed, but then she had accidents on my bed - She's been in the kitchen for a couple of weeks now, and it's quite a small kitchen - I put her there because when she was next to me, she would whine trying to get me to let her out, and I was losing a lot of sleep because of it, (more than a few nights), which was really putting a toll on me at work -

I'm really sleep deprived, and got sick yesterday (I presume because of my sleep deprivation + stress), so last night I put her in the kitchen, gated off, with a pee pad, and this morning, I saw she only peed once on it (likely around 5am or earlier).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Chubby---I found that you need to crate train in the same place consistently and then they recognize that place as their "den" and sleeping area.
After three weeks, my puppy would go up to a door and tap on it with his paw, indicating he wanted to go out...I think we were lucky in that respect
that he caught on so quickly. He was just put down after a long life of 14 years and I am considering getting another puppy later this year so I will
be in the same boat as you starting with a new baby. I do public relations for a living for pet companies and we help the folks who invented
The Pet Loo (www.petloo.com)---Check it out and I am considering training my puppy on this as well for in between times inside vs. outside..
Here are some training videos of theirs as well..Hope this helps and good luck! http://thepetloo.com/the-loo/training-videos/

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did she pee on the floor, or only on the pad?
She peed on the pad only (there's a bumper around it so she knows the "border") , and this morning, surprising there was no pee at all from last night, though she's had loose stools (pudding variety) with mucus thrown in for the past 3 days, so I'm going to run a sample to the vet!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Have you been using pads all along? Or was this the first time you tried them?

Glad you had a mess-free night! Hope the little lady is all right!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts