Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
for me, the best and only "show" dogs are the ones working in their field.....and i really hate seeing the Barbie Collie in the ring and being called a Border Collie...they really have taken them away form the working dog look....

that being said, i love the Borzoi's, well put together GSD's, the Irish Red and White/English/and Gordon Setters (not really a big fan of the Irish red's anymore) and most of the terriers....

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
for me, the best and only "show" dogs are the ones working in their field.....and i really hate seeing the Barbie Collie in the ring and being called a Border Collie...they really have taken them away form the working dog look....
DITTO to that

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
for me, the best and only "show" dogs are the ones working in their field....
I like the dogs that can do both :p :)

But back on topic...dogs that make me double-take (in a good way) at conformation shows are Flatcoats, Salukis, Canaans (even though I don't like the direction a lot of Canaan breeders are heading), the Belgian breeds, Bernese Mtn Dogs, Dobes...

Really any dog with fantastic movement (I don't know much but even a novice can pick out a dog that is just poetry in motion...or maybe it's just a carryover from evaluating foals) and that show "spark" they get when you can just see they love what they are doing :).

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I like the dogs that can do both :p :)

But back on topic...dogs that make me double-take (in a good way) at conformation shows are Flatcoats, Salukis, Canaans (even though I don't like the direction a lot of Canaan breeders are heading), the Belgian breeds, Bernese Mtn Dogs, Dobes...

Really any dog with fantastic movement (I don't know much but even a novice can pick out a dog that is just poetry in motion...or maybe it's just a carryover from evaluating foals) and that show "spark" they get when you can just see they love what they are doing :).
I suspect if you could evaluate foals you would have a pretty well trained eye with the dogs as well. Like you said, you might not be able to say exactly what the standard is looking for but you can point out a well put together dog when you see one.

I also agree that the best scenario is the dog that has what it takes to do both Conformation and work.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
One thing I can dig is a good lookin' hunting dog. Not the type of dog I think I'd want to own, but anytime I see a Weim my head turns:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I love all of the sighthounds, but especially Scottish Deerhounds and Salukis. Giant Schnauzers are one of my favorite breeds and I'm always excited to see them. I also always love Rotties and GSD's.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I really like English Springer Spaniels, Old English Sheepdogs and all the setters. I would probably never own any of these, and not that I have ANYTHING against the breed have only met one nice Springer Spaniel at work.

I would love to own a Old English Sheepdog one day, but if I was ever going to I'd want it to be a true herding dog. It would be awesome!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I don't find much draw of my interest towards the show ring...

..but a working/sporting dog *drools*

a weightpullin' APBT OMG:eek: the way the muscles ripple and flow..

a coursing greyhound cutting a tight corner...

a stately Malinois intent on the handler in Shutzhund trials..

a dirty Patterdale fresh from the tunnels...

a husky bounding through the snow at the head of a sled team

a border collie intent on his flock's movement

a coonhound half up a tree, head thrown back with a loud bay...

I LOVE that stuff...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Gonna bust out this pic again, just because it's one of my favorites. Gingery's Terrapin earning his UWP:

He's a handsome little guy, too. =)
OK, that was impressive. I have never even thought about a Chinese crested weight pulling. I love that. Good to see dogs in all different activities.

I wanted to add another dog that I always thought was so cute. The Clumber Spaniel. I wouldn't say they wow me, but I do think they have sort of an extra "something" to them. They are cute, cute, cute. :)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts