Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this the other day in "Attention all New Members" by accident (was on my phone, I don't know).

So I have a couple questions about Gordon Setters, English Setters, and Irish Setters

Are they the same as far as characteristics go? They look the same except different colours.
I met a really cute Gordon setter puppy at day care today and her Gordon Setter, serious, older brother.

What can you tell me about them? I did some googling but would like to know if anyone has had any experience with them. I don't know if there's differences between the 3 but everywhere I was reading was just a copy and paste of each other's descriptions.

I'm interested because I want to know if one would fit my lifestyle. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I haven't researched much about them, but I know some very general things.

- the English setter is the most mellow of the three
- the Irish setter is very bouncy and outgoing and happy, and Irish red & white setters are supposed to have more work ethic.
- the Gordon setter is more prone to dog aggression when compared to the others.

Do not know the actual truth of these things, but it's what I know. Hope others can offer more help ;)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I think there are probably bigger differences between field bred dogs (mostly field English setters and Irish Red and Whites) vs the show bred dogs. I always hear that Irish setters are kind of big dumb and happy and the one I've met up close was just that. I think Gordons have the reputation of being more serious in temperament.

Overall fun happy high energy dogs. Not unlike an English springer probably. Less biddable and handler oriented than the retrievers.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The family I used to babysit for in my younger years had an Irish Setter. She listened as long as she was in the house or the fenced in yard, off leash she became deaf. She did learn to pull the wagon and we went on many long walks with the children inside the wagon. She loved that part a lot. She was a nice dog and got along with other dogs.

The Gordon Setter that I know is very mellow and always acts like puppy play is beneath him. He even acted like that in his younger years.

The English Setters that I have met and worked with depended on the breeding. One was really mellow and came in all the time to get groomed. He was very laid back and never seemed bothered by anything. The others have been field bred and as a roomful of pups waiting to get their vaccines seemed like they had drank a 'Red Bull' before coming in. I have seen several of these grow up and it is not till they are around 5 do they even seem to be slowing down.

Grooming is a big thing with them. Field bred does not seem to have as much maintenance as the bench ones do. No matter what line, the ear mats seem to get them all.

All of them are very pretty to look at.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
This doesn't answer your question but my groomer breeds/shows English setters and she is concentrating on breeding dogs for therapy & service dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts