Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Service Dog Thread

74K views 121 replies 43 participants last post by  Bentwings 
#1 ·
This thread is being created as a source of information for those who do not understand the basic ins and outs of the legal rights of service dog handlers.

I am not usually so presumptuous, but I would really appreciate it if this thread could be made into a sticky. We go 'round and 'round on service dog issues on this forum with relative frequency, and it's tiring to type it out over and over again.

First up, the difference between an emotional support animal and a service dog.

An emotional support animal is just like it sounds. It offers emotional support to its handler. These animals are exempt from "no pets" rules in rental housing and are allowed to fly on planes. While SOME states may grant them public access in every day stores, most do not, and the handler can legally be asked to remove their dog from the store.

A service dog is a dog trained in specific tasks that mitigate the disability of its handler. The ADA was recently amended, and the only animals legally allowed to be assistance animals are dogs and, in some cases, miniature horses (they have a separate provision).

A handler with a trained service dog has public access rights into ANY area the public is normally allowed (planes, trains, and automobiles, shops, movie theaters, etc).

In the United States of America, there is no registering body for service dogs. Because of this, "official paperwork" may not be required by anybody to "prove" a dog is a service dog. It doesn't exist. Though some service dog organizations may print out paperwork for clients that graduate from their school, all the paper means is that the dog was obtained from and trained by that organization. There is also no requirement in the United States that service dogs must be identified in any way, so dogs are allowed to go into stores and work "naked" (collar and leash must be used, of course).

For the record, I'm personally not interested in arguing on this thread, I'm just giving information. Some people feel it should be required for dogs to be identified and registered, yadda yadda yadda. All I'm here to tell you right now is that legally neither of the aforementioned things are required.

Next up, "safe guards" for shop owners and the like.

Things store owners are allowed to ask a service dog handler:
Is that a service dog?
What tasks does the dog perform to mitigate your disability? (and variations thereof)

Proper responses from a handler:
Yes
(Using my animal as an example) My dog assists me by pulling me in a wheel chair, acting as a brace, and picks up objects that I have dropped or cannot reach.

PLEASE NOTE that "My dog keeps me from being anxious" is not an acceptable response. A dog simply being present to keep somebody from being anxious is not a trained task, and thus the dog does not qualify as a service dog.

What a store owner may NOT ask/do:
What is your disability?
May I see your dog's paperwork proving it is a service dog?
Your dog is not identified as a service dog, so you'll need to remove the dog until it is identified.

Proper responses from a handler:
I'm sorry, but it is illegal for you to ask me that question. It is a violation of my privacy and you do not need to know the nature of my disability.

There is no registering body of service dogs in this country, and it is not legal for you to require to see paperwork for me to gain access with my service dog.

There is no legal requirement in this country stating that service dogs must be identified in any manner. You cannot require me to identify my dog.

There are certain cases in which a service dog may legally be excluded from being in attendance, such as in sterile environments like an operating room. The dog may not be excluded from the lobby/waiting room, because those are places the general public is allowed, but it may not go anywhere where it may introduce pathogens that could be harmful to patients (another such example is the ICU).

If a service dog is acting up in public (eliminates on the floor, is causing a disturbance, or is being a threat to other patrons), the handler may be asked to remove the dog, but the handler must be allowed to return, sans dog. That said, the dog cannot be barred from a place of business permanently based on what it did the LAST time it was present. The dog can only be judged at the time it is in attendance.

Link to the ADA section about service dogs:
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

FAQ for SDs in places of busines:
http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

And now, spectator etiquette!

When you see a service dog:
1. Do just that...SEE the service dog. Do not talk to it, do not try to pet it, do not bother the dog. The dog is there to work, not for your amusement.

2. If you see someone with a service dog and you MUST say something, acknowledge the HANDLER, not the dog, and please continue to follow rule #1. Do not say "What a beautiful dog!" and then immediately bend over to get in the dog's face, and proceed to tell it how beautiful and helpful it is. First of all, it's extremely rude, and secondly, while all service dogs should be able to handle ANYTHING, some dogs will take this as a threat, and you could get bitten. If you wouldn't do it with a strange dog you saw on the street, you shouldn't do it to the working dog!

3. Don't automatically assume a handler is blind.

4. To go along with #3, don't assume the handler is blind, and then tell your child it is ok to pet the dog, because the handler won't be able to see. I can't tell you how other handlers will react, but I will verbally eviscerate you, because that is NOT COOL!

5. Do not accuse a person of not having a real service dog because they are not blind. Not all disabilities are visible.

6. Admire, but do not gawk. It is not polite to stare, and that extends to staring at the dog. This includes doing things like pointing out the dog to your child (unless you plan on educating the child). So incredibly rude and obnoxious.

7. Do not get mad when a handler does what they need to do to protect their partner. If this includes yelling at you or your child, so be it. I personally try to be very diplomatic, and give people a chance to back off...but if you're going to stalk me around the store and get in my way while I'm shopping, you are not going to be met with a happy person.

8. To go with #7, respect the space of the handler and the dog. This doesn't mean we expect people to move out of our way or significantly alter how they are shopping. All it means is that we would appreciate it if you would LOOK where you're walking. If the handler says "excuse me", please give them some room to pass. You would do the same for a person without a service dog, wouldn't you?

9. You don't have to like it that the dog is in the store, but as long as the dog is a legitimate working animal, there's nothing you can do about it. Being nasty won't help anybody. Just tolerate the dog, do what you gotta do in the store, and be on your way, like any other day.

10. Do not scream when you see the dog. The dog is there to work, and really couldn't give two craps about you. They will walk by you as if you don't even exist. They will not (should not) bite you or otherwise bother you. As far as they're concerned, you're little more than a utility pole in the middle of the aisle.

11. It does not matter where you see the dog or what the dog is doing. It doesn't matter if the dog is in a static position (sitting, standing, or laying on the floor). The dog is working at ALL TIMES. The dog is not taking a break. The dog is doing as the handler requested, and is holding that position for a REASON. Do not distract the dog from its task. Interfering with a working service dog is an illegal offense!

12. Control and EDUCATE your children! Explain to them that they cannot run up to strange dogs (this is a good rule of thumb anyway), and explain WHY they cannot run up to strange dogs. If your child gets away from you to go after the dog anyway, PLEASE be sure to APOLOGIZE to the handler! Also explain to the child that the dog is a "helper/working dog". Do not tell them what kind of work the dog does, because you don't know.

Not all service dog handlers are blind. Telling the child every time you see a service dog that the handler is blind, or is only a helping trainer teaching the dog to help the blind becomes a perpetual string of misinformation. That child will pass it along to another, and another, and another, and eventually, one of them will likely accuse a handler that ISN'T blind of being a fake.

13. Reiterating rule #1!!!! My dog is medical equipment. Please do not talk to my dog. You wouldn't talk to a wheelchair, you shouldn't talk to my dog.

Talking to my dog also includes extending praise to my dog. You have no right to praise my dog or give my dog commands. Why? Because aside from the fact that he is WORKING, he is MY dog, not YOUR dog.

I understand that you're trying to be kind, but what you're really being is RUDE! It is also much, much easier for my dog to ignore someone touching them (I will reiterate that you need to not touch my dog either), but it's pretty doggone hard to ignore somebody that's in your face, and there comes a realistic point where I can no longer be mad at the dog for responding to his environment.

Admire all you want. Ask me questions if you feel comfortable doing so. But do not. Talk. To my dog.

See less See more
#100 ·
L & T,
Please don't be too hard on people, they really are trying to just do something for you. I mean how would you feel if you are sitting on the floor against the vegetable bins and somebody came by and tossed a ten dollar bill in your lap and said " here, buy another inhaler but move over so I can make my selections"?

I know some can get owly and be a PIA but you can disregard them. If a store mgr is so dumb as to kick you out I guess I'd just let them know they just lost a good customer and maybe more. If I were the mgr. I would do everything I could to make you more comfortable. It's hard not to call 911 in a medical situation because of legalities.

Two years ago I was playing senior baseball and got hit on the cheek by a pitched ball twice in about a month. Broke my helmets both times and cost five teeth. Both times the games were stopped and 911 came. Players from both teams sat with me until the situation stabilized. It cost both teams another $100 each for overtime at the field. I offered to,pay this but they refused..they wouldn't even take my share. So not everyone is vindictive.

Yeah, I live with my dog too, she is resting on my feet.

#101 ·
Bentwings, the problem is not that people try to help. If people were just asking if I needed help and then listening to me, it would be fine. But sometimes I get people who basically corner me and then start threatening me because they're "just trying to help." They're vindictive because I'm not being appreciative enough, not because I'm wasting their time or in the way or whatever. If they really wanted to help they would ask first, listen to me when I use my speech app to tell them what I need, and not threaten to call the police if I don't ~use my words~.

You broke your teeth twice, I have had over 50 episodes in the past six months. I do not have enough time in the day to reassure people every time I have an episode or an asthma attack or whatever. But that's one of the advantages of using a service dog, I guess, is that people feel less obliged to step in when they see the dog reacting calmly. And it's easier to explain an access problem as "I was turned away at the door" than "I was allowed in and then fell and was removed." I always feel like if I complain about the latter I'm just going to be judged because well that's my fault for being stupid enough to leave the house.

(also I would prefer if people would give me 10 dollars every time I get an asthma attack, how do I make that happen?)

#102 ·
If it's such a common occurrence, what about carrying something like a laminated info sheet that you can just show people? "I have a disability - thank you for your patience and kindness while this episode runs its course". Or something... you won't have to use your speech app. Just a thought.

#104 ·
It would be pretty hard not to read a sign that was shoved in front of my face. But OK... I guess you just do what you can do. I've never seen anything like what you're describing and it's just really hard for me to imagine that there are so many people who would be so disrespectful of someone who is clearly dealing with a medical issue. It makes me wonder where in the world you live if that's the kind of people you encounter on a regular basis.

#106 ·
If it's such a common occurrence, what about carrying something like a laminated info sheet that you can just show people?
I'm a person, not a freakshow. How about people show some common courtesy and mind their business? It's not my job to educate everybody. Do I sometimes? Yes. Always? No. I have things to do. Ihave a life. Use freakin' Google.

It makes me wonder where in the world you live if that's the kind of people you encounter on a regular basis.
I have a video up on FB of Strauss aiding me on a REALLY bad day. I was in extreme pain, barely mobile, falling on my dog...and people were still trying to stop me to talk, as if what was going on was any of their business. As if I was in a proper state to engage them. As if my dog wasn't in the midst of doing an extremely important job.

#108 ·
The best thing a person can do is leave a dog and their handler *alone* unless that person needs immediate aid (like calling 911)

#109 ·
I guess as an outsider it's just not always easy to determine if immediate aid is required or not. Like Lenny was talking about not wanting people to call 911 when he had a seizure and honestly that would definitely be my go-to response to happening across someone in that kind of distress.

#110 ·
I don't really want to go into detail about why I don't like people calling 911 every time my disabilities act up but I have way too many disabilities to go to the hospital every time someone notices one of them. I'd never get anything done.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows of any service dog owner-trainer groups in the Chicago area because when I do a search for them all I get is various trainers' websites. I'm looking for something more geared towards owner trainers but a general group is fine too. I'd be shocked if there wasn't something...but I'm not finding anything on google.

#115 · (Edited)
When you see a service dog:
1. Do just that...SEE the service dog. Do not talk to it, do not try to pet it, do not bother the dog. The dog is there to work, not for your amusement.

2. If you see someone with a service dog and you MUST say something, acknowledge the HANDLER, not the dog, and please continue to follow rule #1. Do not say "What a beautiful dog!" and then immediately bend over to get in the dog's face, and proceed to tell it how beautiful and helpful it is. First of all, it's extremely rude, and secondly, while all service dogs should be able to handle ANYTHING, some dogs will take this as a threat, and you could get bitten. If you wouldn't do it with a strange dog you saw on the street, you shouldn't do it to the working dog!

3. Don't automatically assume a handler is blind.

4. To go along with #3, don't assume the handler is blind, and then tell your child it is ok to pet the dog, because the handler won't be able to see. I can't tell you how other handlers will react, but I will verbally eviscerate you, because that is NOT COOL!

5. Do not accuse a person of not having a real service dog because they are not blind. Not all disabilities are visible.

6. Admire, but do not gawk. It is not polite to stare, and that extends to staring at the dog. This includes doing things like pointing out the dog to your child (unless you plan on educating the child). So incredibly rude and obnoxious.

7. Do not get mad when a handler does what they need to do to protect their partner. If this includes yelling at you or your child, so be it. I personally try to be very diplomatic, and give people a chance to back off...but if you're going to stalk me around the store and get in my way while I'm shopping, you are not going to be met with a happy person.

8. To go with #7, respect the space of the handler and the dog. This doesn't mean we expect people to move out of our way or significantly alter how they are shopping. All it means is that we would appreciate it if you would LOOK where you're walking. If the handler says "excuse me", please give them some room to pass. You would do the same for a person without a service dog, wouldn't you?

9. You don't have to like it that the dog is in the store, but as long as the dog is a legitimate working animal, there's nothing you can do about it. Being nasty won't help anybody. Just tolerate the dog, do what you gotta do in the store, and be on your way, like any other day.

10. Do not scream when you see the dog. The dog is there to work, and really couldn't give two craps about you. They will walk by you as if you don't even exist. They will not (should not) bite you or otherwise bother you. As far as they're concerned, you're little more than a utility pole in the middle of the aisle.

11. It does not matter where you see the dog or what the dog is doing. It doesn't matter if the dog is in a static position (sitting, standing, or laying on the floor). The dog is working at ALL TIMES. The dog is not taking a break. The dog is doing as the handler requested, and is holding that position for a REASON. Do not distract the dog from its task. Interfering with a working service dog is an illegal offense!

12. Control and EDUCATE your children! Explain to them that they cannot run up to strange dogs (this is a good rule of thumb anyway), and explain WHY they cannot run up to strange dogs. If your child gets away from you to go after the dog anyway, PLEASE be sure to APOLOGIZE to the handler! Also explain to the child that the dog is a "helper/working dog". Do not tell them what kind of work the dog does, because you don't know.

Not all service dog handlers are blind. Telling the child every time you see a service dog that the handler is blind, or is only a helping trainer teaching the dog to help the blind becomes a perpetual string of misinformation. That child will pass it along to another, and another, and another, and eventually, one of them will likely accuse a handler that ISN'T blind of being a fake.

13. Reiterating rule #1!!!! My dog is medical equipment. Please do not talk to my dog. You wouldn't talk to a wheelchair, you shouldn't talk to my dog.
I agree most of them, the rest is worth a look. Thanks for your sharing. :clap2:

#116 ·
Thanks a lot, Xeph for sharing this information. But, personally, I feel you introduced all the content about service dogs while only some info was given concerning emotional support animals. A lot of focus is going towards emotional support animals, their laws, guidelines which can be confusing. So, I insist if we could talk about emotional support animal letters and related factors that can help people finding the right solution.

#120 ·
Since I'm technically new to the SD, ESD issue, I think a national or federally run registry would drive up the cost od SD especially. You would either have to pass some tests or have a professionally trained dog. As it is if you can obedience train your dog then train it to do what ever you need it to do and the dog can behave in public and you have a legitimate disability or medical need you are in...or OK. I see nothing wrong with that.

I agree it is an education thing as far as the work place. Not many know what to do if you come in with a SD. Dealing with the disabled should be accompanied with dealing with the SD, no different than dealing with a wheelchair, walker, or powered cart.

#122 ·
I don’t have a true service dog. I do train extensively along the line however.
I will never bother or ask about a service dog by my own volition. If you would like to meet me or my dog just say “hay yu” bruskly and j will look towards you. You have asked for my attention and I may or may not respond further, nicely. As a rule I’ll never bother or ask about an obvious service dog. Person. If it happens to be a home store of other store that routinely allows dogs i most likely will reverse course and go out of the way. The last thing I want to do is leave a bad taste for people with assistance dogs. There are just too many people violating the rules. I don’t bring my dog in without first asking if it is permitted. From there if I see another person with a dog we go back out and come again some other time. My dog is anESA dog. had to go over more jumps and through more tunnels than a master agility course to get the doctors approval an recommendations. As with other people that have service dogs I didn’t ask for this condition and don’t want it. I love my dog and she does her job well. Should another person with impairments become friendly with this purported owly dispositioned person and want to just chat on friendly terms especially about dogs I’d welcome that. I’d prefer to stay away from medical issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.