Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bentwings, the problem is not that people try to help. If people were just asking if I needed help and then listening to me, it would be fine. But sometimes I get people who basically corner me and then start threatening me because they're "just trying to help." They're vindictive because I'm not being appreciative enough, not because I'm wasting their time or in the way or whatever. If they really wanted to help they would ask first, listen to me when I use my speech app to tell them what I need, and not threaten to call the police if I don't ~use my words~.

You broke your teeth twice, I have had over 50 episodes in the past six months. I do not have enough time in the day to reassure people every time I have an episode or an asthma attack or whatever. But that's one of the advantages of using a service dog, I guess, is that people feel less obliged to step in when they see the dog reacting calmly. And it's easier to explain an access problem as "I was turned away at the door" than "I was allowed in and then fell and was removed." I always feel like if I complain about the latter I'm just going to be judged because well that's my fault for being stupid enough to leave the house.

(also I would prefer if people would give me 10 dollars every time I get an asthma attack, how do I make that happen?)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If it's such a common occurrence, what about carrying something like a laminated info sheet that you can just show people? "I have a disability - thank you for your patience and kindness while this episode runs its course". Or something... you won't have to use your speech app. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It would be pretty hard not to read a sign that was shoved in front of my face. But OK... I guess you just do what you can do. I've never seen anything like what you're describing and it's just really hard for me to imagine that there are so many people who would be so disrespectful of someone who is clearly dealing with a medical issue. It makes me wonder where in the world you live if that's the kind of people you encounter on a regular basis.

·
Registered
258 Posts
TGK, I could write you a disability studies essay or I could give you the short answer which is that I'm either not broadcasting 'medical issues' to people, or people think I'm faking for some reason, or they're psychology undergrads (who are terrible people; I should know, I am one)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
If it's such a common occurrence, what about carrying something like a laminated info sheet that you can just show people?
I'm a person, not a freakshow. How about people show some common courtesy and mind their business? It's not my job to educate everybody. Do I sometimes? Yes. Always? No. I have things to do. Ihave a life. Use freakin' Google.

It makes me wonder where in the world you live if that's the kind of people you encounter on a regular basis.
I have a video up on FB of Strauss aiding me on a REALLY bad day. I was in extreme pain, barely mobile, falling on my dog...and people were still trying to stop me to talk, as if what was going on was any of their business. As if I was in a proper state to engage them. As if my dog wasn't in the midst of doing an extremely important job.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I didn't mean to offend... I was only thinking of something that would help someone, as a witness, better understand this type of occurrence and avoid making a bad situation worse.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
The best thing a person can do is leave a dog and their handler *alone* unless that person needs immediate aid (like calling 911)

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
The best thing a person can do is leave a dog and their handler *alone* unless that person needs immediate aid (like calling 911)
I guess as an outsider it's just not always easy to determine if immediate aid is required or not. Like Lenny was talking about not wanting people to call 911 when he had a seizure and honestly that would definitely be my go-to response to happening across someone in that kind of distress.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't really want to go into detail about why I don't like people calling 911 every time my disabilities act up but I have way too many disabilities to go to the hospital every time someone notices one of them. I'd never get anything done.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows of any service dog owner-trainer groups in the Chicago area because when I do a search for them all I get is various trainers' websites. I'm looking for something more geared towards owner trainers but a general group is fine too. I'd be shocked if there wasn't something...but I'm not finding anything on google.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you see a service dog:
1. Do just that...SEE the service dog. Do not talk to it, do not try to pet it, do not bother the dog. The dog is there to work, not for your amusement.

2. If you see someone with a service dog and you MUST say something, acknowledge the HANDLER, not the dog, and please continue to follow rule #1. Do not say "What a beautiful dog!" and then immediately bend over to get in the dog's face, and proceed to tell it how beautiful and helpful it is. First of all, it's extremely rude, and secondly, while all service dogs should be able to handle ANYTHING, some dogs will take this as a threat, and you could get bitten. If you wouldn't do it with a strange dog you saw on the street, you shouldn't do it to the working dog!

3. Don't automatically assume a handler is blind.

4. To go along with #3, don't assume the handler is blind, and then tell your child it is ok to pet the dog, because the handler won't be able to see. I can't tell you how other handlers will react, but I will verbally eviscerate you, because that is NOT COOL!

5. Do not accuse a person of not having a real service dog because they are not blind. Not all disabilities are visible.

6. Admire, but do not gawk. It is not polite to stare, and that extends to staring at the dog. This includes doing things like pointing out the dog to your child (unless you plan on educating the child). So incredibly rude and obnoxious.

7. Do not get mad when a handler does what they need to do to protect their partner. If this includes yelling at you or your child, so be it. I personally try to be very diplomatic, and give people a chance to back off...but if you're going to stalk me around the store and get in my way while I'm shopping, you are not going to be met with a happy person.

8. To go with #7, respect the space of the handler and the dog. This doesn't mean we expect people to move out of our way or significantly alter how they are shopping. All it means is that we would appreciate it if you would LOOK where you're walking. If the handler says "excuse me", please give them some room to pass. You would do the same for a person without a service dog, wouldn't you?

9. You don't have to like it that the dog is in the store, but as long as the dog is a legitimate working animal, there's nothing you can do about it. Being nasty won't help anybody. Just tolerate the dog, do what you gotta do in the store, and be on your way, like any other day.

10. Do not scream when you see the dog. The dog is there to work, and really couldn't give two craps about you. They will walk by you as if you don't even exist. They will not (should not) bite you or otherwise bother you. As far as they're concerned, you're little more than a utility pole in the middle of the aisle.

11. It does not matter where you see the dog or what the dog is doing. It doesn't matter if the dog is in a static position (sitting, standing, or laying on the floor). The dog is working at ALL TIMES. The dog is not taking a break. The dog is doing as the handler requested, and is holding that position for a REASON. Do not distract the dog from its task. Interfering with a working service dog is an illegal offense!

12. Control and EDUCATE your children! Explain to them that they cannot run up to strange dogs (this is a good rule of thumb anyway), and explain WHY they cannot run up to strange dogs. If your child gets away from you to go after the dog anyway, PLEASE be sure to APOLOGIZE to the handler! Also explain to the child that the dog is a "helper/working dog". Do not tell them what kind of work the dog does, because you don't know.

Not all service dog handlers are blind. Telling the child every time you see a service dog that the handler is blind, or is only a helping trainer teaching the dog to help the blind becomes a perpetual string of misinformation. That child will pass it along to another, and another, and another, and eventually, one of them will likely accuse a handler that ISN'T blind of being a fake.

13. Reiterating rule #1!!!! My dog is medical equipment. Please do not talk to my dog. You wouldn't talk to a wheelchair, you shouldn't talk to my dog.
I agree most of them, the rest is worth a look. Thanks for your sharing. :clap2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks a lot, Xeph for sharing this information. But, personally, I feel you introduced all the content about service dogs while only some info was given concerning emotional support animals. A lot of focus is going towards emotional support animals, their laws, guidelines which can be confusing. So, I insist if we could talk about emotional support animal letters and related factors that can help people finding the right solution.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Thanks a lot, Xeph for sharing this information. But, personally, I feel you introduced all the content about service dogs while only some info was given concerning emotional support animals. A lot of focus is going towards emotional support animals, their laws, guidelines which can be confusing. So, I insist if we could talk about emotional support animal letters and related factors that can help people finding the right solution.
Because this thread is not ABOUT emotional support animals, it's about service dogs. If you'd like to talk about emotional support animals, please start your own thread and do not hijack this one. Thank you.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts