Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not sure how to explain this, but I'm sure many of you will understand....
Have you ever petted/scratched your dog in a particular spot and it gets their back leg going making them scratch? I was petting Caeda the other day and she was seeming to just LOVE it, then the leg started going.
I found Caeda's spots.....she has two, one on her chest and one on her back (actually two, one for each leg!).
So, anybody else found the "spot" on their dog? Anybody know anything about this, why it causes a dog's back leg to start going?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I did it one time, and have been trying to find it again ever since! It was so funny, I was scratching him and he was scratching my hand.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I don't know why it itches so good:
1. On either side of the back, a few inches down, not quite over the floating rib.
2. Near the navel.
3. On the top, at the base of the tail, or a little forward.
4. On either side of the throat, in the notch between muscles (?), near the larynx (be careful, b/c pressure on the larynx is irritating).
5. Grimace from scratching on the top, rear scapula, either side ... exquisite pain (?)
6. Stretch out when scratching near the outside knee of ether back leg.

... I may have inserted these pleasure buttons when he was a puppy :)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Caeda's spots are in the middle of her chest (just below the throat, breastbone area), and on either side of her spine on her ribs, back and forth, a nice loose but not too hard scratch. Her butt, just above her tail makes her look like she is going to do it, but it isn't quite enough to get the scratchy out of her. lol
The look is so funny too, like absolute ecstasy and a twitchy foot, she'll even try to do it if she is standing!

Now that I've found those spots I'm trying to not do it to her too often, she seems to like it, but I'm sure having somebody play with a reflex like that could get pretty old if I do it too much. She never backs away when/after I do it (though that could be because her foot is busy lol), but I want to keep it an ooooh sooooo gooooood feelin :D
Wish I could understand why....so odd!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yup, I call it "the itchy spot", and it's the chest area on Kit. She also has a spot on her back that makes her shiver if you scratch it.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I think that my dog likes it, so it's a bit more than a knee jerk reflex.

@Swiss, re: "I'm trying to not do it to her too often"
For the past 11 years, every day when I come home from work, I work over my dog on the last 3 items (listed above) for about 5 mins... I don't think I can do it too often :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit doesn't have a scratchy spot! We've looked for it extensively for months but it doesn't seem to exist. Maybe she's defective? :wink: If you scratch her belly while she's walking, though, she'll stop (and look at you as if to say "quit it"). Maybe that's as close as she gets.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
@Biscuit :)
1. when she's on her back, scratch around her navel.
2. When she stands, scratch on her back near her tail and on top of her hips.
3. Scratch about an inch down on both sides of her spine.
4. Lying on her side, massage/scratch around her knee.
5. Scratch her jawbone
6. If she ever sits and stretches, get behind her and scratch on either side of her throat. Don't scratch the middle and don't scratch where it makes her cough or choke.... even if she 'asks'.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
@hanksimon:

No scratchy spots to be found, but Biscuit thanks you for the excuse for an excellent scratching session! :) I think most successful is the knee - it causes her to roll on her back and stretch out as long as possible. Very cute.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Should be one on each knee, may be one on the front shoulders (or shoulder blades) :)

I never thought about creating a video of all the scratchy spots and my dog's reactions ....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Should be one on each knee, may be one on the front shoulders (or shoulder blades) :)

I never thought about creating a video of all the scratchy spots and my dog's reactions ....
That's a good idea! We should start a video thread....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that my dog likes it, so it's a bit more than a knee jerk reflex.

@Swiss, re: "I'm trying to not do it to her too often"
For the past 11 years, every day when I come home from work, I work over my dog on the last 3 items (listed above) for about 5 mins... I don't think I can do it too often :)
I think Caeda likes it too, although I'm discovering she is getting even more sensitive in those spots......I think its allergies making her skin more sensitive. I feel bad since she is scratching so much lately I come home and make her scratch more :p
Its pretty handy though, stopped her in her tracks when she was being a brat at doggy social last night! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Delilah has a spot near her collar that makes her actually scratch and do so for a good 30 seconds or so after I stop. And then there is the spots that make her merely kick her leg. She seems to like those spots, generally encountered when she is getting a belly rub, because if I stop she wiggles closer and nudges me to scratch her belly more.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Poca only did the leg thing once in response to a scritch but she does a wonderful butt rock when you scratch her haunches just above and on either side of her tail. She rocks back and forth from foot to foot. It is hilarious! I say, "Oh, she do they butt rock, daddy!" and it makes her rock even harder and arch her back like a cat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Both my dogs have "scratchy spots", but they don't always work? I'll come back and scratch the exact same spot minutes later and they won't have the reflex lol. It confuses me so much! Oh, and Bailey does that thing where of you rub his back right at the base of his tail, he arches his back like a cat X3 He wriggles away when I do it though, so I try to avoid that spot :p

~IJMB

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
@IJMB - try rubbing the base of his tail much more gently. He might like the massage, but it's too sensitive for scratching or hard rubbing ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts