Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing kijiji today and saw an add for a 3 month old Chihuahua/Chinese Crested Powederpuff that the seller claims has never barked ever and also has and never will shed.
1. A Chihuahua mix that doesn't bark (especially with a CC that aren't known for not barking) don't make me laugh.
2. CC are only considered non-shedding in the hairless variety. Powderpuff ones are not considers non-shedding and neither are Chihuahuas.
$500 for a puppy of lies.

Has anyone else seen ridiculous claims made by BYB?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
A selection from my local kijiji today

We have 6 puppies in total,4 males and 2 females.They mainly have a brown coat but we have one golden male. They can drink milk out of a bowl but we preferred if you fed them by bottle. We have photos of the puppies and the mother but if you want more we can send them by text.
(They are 4 weeks old)

Five beautiful and graceful Bichon-poo puppies .Three male and two female. Perfect for apartment and house because the hair is not falling and there is no smell . Mother is from Europe. On Sunday they are ready to leave our home and find a new home.

This combination of Shih--Zu and mini long haired Dash- hound have great temperaments.Non-shedding hypo-allergic.Family raised,paper trained,Will be around 8-11lbs

Born Feb.26. Mom is a PB small (45 lbs.) Rough Collie and Dad is a PB small (50 lbs) Standard Poodle. Puppies are black with varying amounts of white on paws and chest and some are blue merle. Only females available. We have bred this litter specially to create the ideal family companion (intelligent, gentle, easy to train, always willing to please, happy indoors and outdoors, good with children and animals, low to no shed). These pups are "soft" (sensitive) dogs and will not need a heavy hand to train. They will be similar in nature to the golden doodle but will mature sooner and be less naughty (calmer).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
We have 6 puppies in total,4 males and 2 females.They mainly have a brown coat but we have one golden male. They can drink milk out of a bowl but we preferred if you fed them by bottle. We have photos of the puppies and the mother but if you want more we can send them by text.
(They are 4 weeks old)
Whaaaa?
Pretty much the worst we get here is the people that continuously make up names for their mixes like Morkies (Maltese+Yorkies) and just every smaller dog that you can make, ShiPoo, ChiPoo, Puggle, Pomapoo, and then make it sound like they bred them on purpose to make the best dog just for YOU. And it's like... nah, you just happened to have a female poodle and knew someone else with a small dog and made the NEXT BEST HYPO-ALLERGENIC GENIUS DOG.

But the funniest one that was on just a couple weeks ago before it got taken down the title was "JACKSHIT"
And it was about his Jack Russell Terrier and his neighbour's Shih Tzu making the best litter of jackshit. Part of the selling point to them was, "Imagine the look on strangers' faces when they ask you what breed your dog is!"

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
One word "Aussie-doodle." Ok I guess that is a hyphenated word but yeah, someone is breeding something they call Aussie-doodles. I just...I don't have words.

We get a lot of the malti-poos, Poochis (or chipoos, whatever they want to call them that day), Pomchis, ect. It is very popular. The worst are the fake wolf dog breeders. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
There is someone listing wolf poms here. It is just a coat color thing but the way the ad is worded I could see someone thinking they were somehow getting a wolf cross.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Hmmm..."drymouth" Saint Bernards? We have one "breeder" (and I use that term loosely up here) up here that over and over advertises Saint puppies that they claim will have "dry mouth." The parents have never been OFA tested and I HIGHLY doubt they are being careful about any of the other myriad of genetic issues Saints can have.

But...they do have little kegs to put around the puppies' necks for pictures, so that makes it all good riiiight? They have litters all the time. :(

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Whaaaa?
Pretty much the worst we get here is the people that continuously make up names for their mixes like Morkies (Maltese+Yorkies) and just every smaller dog that you can make, ShiPoo, ChiPoo, Puggle, Pomapoo, and then make it sound like they bred them on purpose to make the best dog just for YOU. And it's like... nah, you just happened to have a female poodle and knew someone else with a small dog and made the NEXT BEST HYPO-ALLERGENIC GENIUS DOG.

But the funniest one that was on just a couple weeks ago before it got taken down the title was "JACKSHIT"
And it was about his Jack Russell Terrier and his neighbour's Shih Tzu making the best litter of jackshit. Part of the selling point to them was, "Imagine the look on strangers' faces when they ask you what breed your dog is!"
Am I bad for wanting a "JACKSHIT" because I think the name is awesome

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
"Norwegian Elkhound puppies.. HYPO ALLERGENIC" erm?? You mean that fluffy spitzy breed that sheds in giant clumps? ya..ok lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are a lot of people around here whose dogs accidentally have pups (or worse, it's on purpose), and they bring out ex-pens and set them up in a park near schools or by the road near stores. I think most of the people they get money from are tired parents that just got off work and their kid is bugging them constantly about the adorable puppies that show up every other week and impulse buyers. I used to have a neighbor who has what we think is a Pom x Poodle. She bought him from a guy in a park who was selling "curly coated Pomeranians" and had a credit card scanner on a picnic table. Claimed they were purebred and were a "rare coat type in Poms". She payed something in the upper $1,000s for him.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Here is one

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pet/4469723993.html

Rare Piebald GSD's they are "purebreds" but no papers. They have actually had these puppies listed for a while, there were 6 to start so they have managed to sell 4 of them.

We had some one listing GSDxHusky pups right before Easter. They had bred the litter on purpose and were calling them Germanian Shepuskies. Wanted $600 for the puppies! Just crazy.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
A selection from my local kijiji today

Born Feb.26. Mom is a PB small (45 lbs.) Rough Collie and Dad is a PB small (50 lbs) Standard Poodle. Puppies are black with varying amounts of white on paws and chest and some are blue merle. Only females available. We have bred this litter specially to create the ideal family companion (intelligent, gentle, easy to train, always willing to please, happy indoors and outdoors, good with children and animals, low to no shed). These pups are "soft" (sensitive) dogs and will not need a heavy hand to train. They will be similar in nature to the golden doodle but will mature sooner and be less naughty (calmer).
How would a rough collie x poodle be less naughty or mature faster than a goldendoodle? I'm also unsure why that mix would be gentle, easy to train, always willing to please or happy indoors and out. "Low to no shed" on a rough collie mix? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
... We had some one listing GSDxHusky pups right before Easter. They had bred the litter on purpose and were calling them Germanian Shepuskies. Wanted $600 for the puppies! Just crazy.
I wish I was as creative as these people. Though I absolutely hate it when people try to combine the dogs names to make it sounds like some designer mix. I couldn't think of anything for my dog if I tried (German ShepherdXRough Collie)... German... Sheprollie... God I'm awful.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Here is one

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pet/4469723993.html

Rare Piebald GSD's they are "purebreds" but no papers. They have actually had these puppies listed for a while, there were 6 to start so they have managed to sell 4 of them.

We had some one listing GSDxHusky pups right before Easter. They had bred the litter on purpose and were calling them Germanian Shepuskies. Wanted $600 for the puppies! Just crazy.
I've wondered about this; is it common for reputable breeders to just not register their pups? I see it all the time on kijiji of "Oh, their parents are registered but the puppies will not be, since they are just being sold as family pets" or something similar.

It pops up often enough to make me wonder if SOME of them are reputable or if they're all just trying to save costs.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've wondered about this; is it common for reputable breeders to just not register their pups? I see it all the time on kijiji of "Oh, their parents are registered but the puppies will not be, since they are just being sold as family pets" or something similar.

It pops up often enough to make me wonder if SOME of them are reputable or if they're all just trying to save costs.
I don't know how safe it is to enter this topic haha
But my parents used to be reputable breeders of Miniature Schnauzers when I was little. We were the first breeders in our province to have them and we got our female from someone in Alberta and our male from somewhere super far away (I was 4, the locations of the dog purchasing are a little fuzzy haha). Both of them were from outstanding lines and were both amazing titled dogs when they got older.

We registered our first 2 litters with our breeding pair and then stopped after that to reduce cost for the person buying the puppy. Their registration fees just added to the puppies cost. We told them the puppies could be registered if they wished to and that we would register them if they wanted a registered puppy for their own reasons before we sent them home at 8-12weeks. That was all discussed during puppy-to-new-parent matching interviews. If they wanted them registered we would and would charge them for the registration. If they didn't they could have their dog unregistered.

So it's a bit of both, we were reputable but we were just trying to lessen the price of the dogs that we were finding good, mostly pet-homes for. Most of the people that bought our puppies never did anything with them that required a registration so we figured it was unnecessary.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

In Canada if it's purebred it's the law.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
No to drift too much, but I didnt think the registration fees were much compared to the cost of the pup itself....

(and collie poos?! now that is a first!!!)...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hmm, I have no idea why we stopped registering our puppies then.
It looks like it wasn't that expensive.
Unless it was just laziness and not wanting the hassle of registering them for no reason after two litters of puppies to people that never used the registration.

I wonder how long that law has been around and how they planned to implement it... I know a ton of breeders that do the same thing around this area and they're reputable in the sense that all adult dogs have titles, are purebred and registered, are well-taken care of, have gotten all their testings, and are bred properly (among other things that make them reputable) besides the registration. It's not very common here to register puppies unless that owner requests it or your one of the very well-established breeders (I can only think of golden retrievers and lab breeders here that do).

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I think in the case of most of the CL breeders of "purebred" dogs the parents aren't actually papered either so registering is impossible. We aren't talking reputable breeders. Though you get quite a few CKC (as in continental not Canadian, Kennel Club) and other really random mill and BYB registry puppies. You will get papered maltipoos and all sorts of mixes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts