Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I just got off the phone with the vet. Brutus has cancer. It's a cancer called osteosarcoma (sp?). Apparently, it metastacizes in the bone (which it hadn't done in this case) and there is little they can do about it. He has 6-12 mos to live. Once the cancer metastacizes, he will be in pain in whatever bone it chooses to metastacize in. She said she knows of one drug that might possibly work, but needs to talk to the veterinary university oncology department about it. I'm so depressed right now. Who will tip over my trash can and cruise my counters when Brutus is gone?
So sorry about Brutus, I've read so much about him he's become a friend.

I had just come up with a multi trash can plan. I figured 5 look-alike trash cans in each room of the house, this would be a 2 prong attack, drive him nuts and wear him out at the same time. The real trash can hidden in closet. Awww the heck with it, just hugs and ice cream from now on.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So sorry about Brutus, I've read so much about him he's become a friend.

I had just come up with a multi trash can plan. I figured 5 look-alike trash cans in each room of the house, this would be a 2 prong attack, drive him nuts and wear him out at the same time. The real trash can hidden in closet. Awww the heck with it, just hugs and ice cream from now on.
I don't think a 5 can attack would work with his nose. He would figure out which one was the real one in the closet in a hurry. When we're walking he'll sometimes find a really interesting scent. If I follow him it inevitably ends up at a trash can.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Hulk,
I'm so sorry about the news.

Please know that Brutus came to you for a reason. He needed someone to show him love and you needed someone to show your love to and to teach you about basset hounds! Any one moment of care and affection is a worthwhile thing, no matter how long it lasts. You are his oasis (and the trash cans are his nirvana). Enjoy the time you have with him and when it is time for him to go to the bridge, show him how much you care by sending him there with love. It sucks, man. I know. But without you he wouldn't have known how special he really is and without him we wouldn't have known how special you are.
Peace.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wow, so sorry to read about his cancer :(

Maybe he can hold on longer than they think. Many a person has been given "x months to live" and it could be wrong.

Enjoy the time left and keep hope about that possible treatment. You never know.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Hulk, I was just thinking about this today. You always talk about how you've taught Zero a whole myriad of cues, and taught Brutus nothing. Well, take a moment to think about what Brutus has taught you.

First and most obvious: a whole lot about dog training. Without him, you wouldn't be half as well-versed in 101 Ways To Counter Trash-Tipping (Assuming You Don't Have a Basset Hound).

Patience, certainly. I think we can all see that he's inculcated ladles of that in you.

How to work with a dog instead of on a dog; adjusting your expectations to the dog or breed you have.

How to let go. You know that frustration you get after you walk into the room and find trash all over the floor with Brutus slouching around and wagging his tail as if nothing's wrong? And you know that subsequent feeling you get after you start to yell at him, but then take a deep breath and slowly force your anger to dissipate because you know he won't understand a thing? Yeah. That's it. You've learned to live in the moment; how to release your frustration because you know that ranting will be more destructive than constructive. (And how to pick up lots of trash.)

And of course, how to love and laugh despite noise, mess and financial expense.

So who is the real teacher in this relationship, huh? ;) Brutus might have been a bit of a hellhound to train, but in the short time that he was with you, he imparted more lessons than you may know. Take good care of him in his remaining months and appreciate him for the monster he is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm in tears reading this. I am so so so sorry that you and Brutus have to go through this. But like someone said, its wonderful that dogs don't know there sick. Spoil him rotten for the time he has left.

I don't know Brutus as much as some on here, but this hit me hard as a dog (Storm) I considered mine passed away from this in December. I was with her every step of the way, so I know how you feel. Just keep thinking positive and spoil him like crazy *hugs*

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Brutus. Many prayers for strength to face what's ahead and the heart to celebrate the good times still to come.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I've always had a soft spot for dogs who give their humans the business.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I just explained to him that he has 6 months to live. He responded by walking away and cruising the counters. I think he understood me all too well.

·
Banned
749 Posts
There is a new drug for cancer specifically for dogs that was recently approved by the FDA. I do not know the name of the drug but it is made by Pfizer. You might want to ask your vet if they know anything about it.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I just explained to him that he has 6 months to live. He responded by walking away and cruising the counters. I think he understood me all too well.
All Brutus cares about is that you love him and feed him. The rest will be ok. He is a very lucky dog to have someone who cares about him as much as you do. You done good by him.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts