Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized I had a message on my answering machine at my house. It was the vets office. I'm not sure why they called me there when I've got my cell listed as my primary contact number. Anyway, they're calling about the results on the biopsy of the tumor from Brutus's mouth. Of course I get this message after they've closed so I can't call today.

I'm very, very worried because a) it was the actual vet calling and not one of her assistants and b) the vet didn't disclose what the results were just said that she "wanted to talk about them with me." I'm thinking that if the tumor was benign that one of the assistants would call. Usually they're the only ones I talk to. I'm also thinking that if it was benign she would disclose that over the phone or say something like, "I don't think you've got anything to worry about, but call us....blah, blah, blah." I'm more than a little worried about my misbehaving, problem child right now. Strangely enough, he's outside plotting how he's going to remove me from the picture and replace me with a robot who feeds him and lets him do what he wants.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Try to be optimistic... it might not be too bad. And please post the minute you know what the results are.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Don't fret too much. I know it is very hard when waiting on these types of things, something to make you lose sleep over. I'd just wait until tomorrow and call first thing.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just after I wrote this I brought him inside for the evening where he executed one of his more brilliant plans. As I was grabbing the kong from his crate so I could stuff it for tomorrow, he found another kong on the floor from before and decided it wasn't quite empty. He started going to town on it so I figured he was fine and turned my back to stuff the other kong. Big mistake. No sooner had I turned around than he had tipped the trash can over and was rummaging through it. I grabbed him, pulled him out of the trash can, put the trash back in it and opened the baby gate in the kitchen so I could put the trash can outside the kitchen. Seeing that I was right where he wanted me, he barreled by with the speed that only a 10 yr old hound has and headed through the house to drink from the toilet. As I wrestled him back into the kitchen he tried to overturn the trash can (now in the hallway) as we went by. There are times I don't think this guy is entirely as dumb as he puts on. He certainly doesn't act like he might have cancer.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I think that is the distinction between hound owners and non-hound owners. If Strauss or Elsa tried that, steam would be coming out of Xeph and CP's ears... if that happened to Spunky I would just be laughing. (It doesn't ever happen... but she has her share of obstinate hound moments too.)

When Spunky was a puppy I once came home to the sound of her howling away. I ran into the kitchen to find out what was wrong. The walls of her playpen had been knocked over and she was running around with an empty peanut butter jar stuck over her head. *rolls eyes*

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got off the phone with the vet. Brutus has cancer. It's a cancer called osteosarcoma (sp?). Apparently, it metastacizes in the bone (which it hadn't done in this case) and there is little they can do about it. He has 6-12 mos to live. Once the cancer metastacizes, he will be in pain in whatever bone it chooses to metastacize in. She said she knows of one drug that might possibly work, but needs to talk to the veterinary university oncology department about it. I'm so depressed right now. Who will tip over my trash can and cruise my counters when Brutus is gone?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Hulk, I'm so sorry to hear that. For a while, I really thought the biopsy couldn't possibly come back positive; Brutus is clearly too stubborn to get cancer. How much time do you think you have before it metastasizes?

Just remember you've given him a great life in the time you've been together. Every dog should be so lucky as to have a human like you, even if it's only for a little while.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Awww...I'm so sorry to hear about your Brutus. Hopefully, he'll be able to get the medicine and it will work and you'll have many more years of clean counters and dirty floors.

Sending good thoughts your way!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Hulk, I'm so so sorry to hear that. Just relish the time you have left with him. Take lots of pictures and preserve memories of upset trash cans and noisy crates. I can tell he's had a wonderful, albeit short, time under your care... I can even tell that despite the trash-tipping and the counter-sniffing, you love him very much. And so do we!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hulk, I'm sorry for your bad news. But remain positive and like rosemary said, enjoy the time you have with Brutus. Who knows, maybe he's stubborn enough to defy the odds.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Sorry to hear this.. and yes to all the info on Osteosarcoma.

If I were you I would forget all the training and feed him what he wants.. and just enjoy his Houndness.. garbage tipping, counter surfing and all the rest. Poor Old guy..

They must have hamburger on sale somewhere for him.. maybe you can start putting it in the trash can so he thinks he won?

..and you take care.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I have absolutely fallen in love with Brutus through your posts. And it's obvious that you're completely in love with him, too! How lucky he has been to find someone so wonderful to love him and how lucky you have been to share your life with that wacky hound. I sincerely hope you have more time together, but no matter what...you are going to have some great stories to share with others for years to come.

Hang in there and please keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I am so shocked and saddened by the news. :( I know Brutus has driven you crazy from day 1 but I also know you love him. Your stories of him always make me laugh.
I am at a loss for words here, Hulk. I am truly sorry you and Brutus have to go through this. Thank God he has you in his final days. :(

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
So sorry to hear this Hulk. I wish you and Brutus the best in the coming months.
Enjoy his houndly ways.

Take care.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Oh Hulk I am so sorry to hear this news. I just found this thread and was reading through from the top. I was laughing at all of Brutus's shenanigans and then went directly into tears reading the bad news. I think that is one of the wonderful blessings of life for a dog. He has no idea he is sick. You will be able to spoil him rotten and dote on him with all the love and devotion any dog could hope for. He will simply be able to enjoy all of that love. My thoughts are with you. I hope the vet will approve treatment for Brutus and he will respond well to it. God bless you for loving that crazy boy. :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Hulk, I am sorry to hear about Brutus. Cancer is no fun at all. But like Inga said, he's got no idea.. so let him live out the rest of his life happily with all the yummy things and stinky smells a Basset would love.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
oh my gosh, i am so sorry about this horrible news...
{{{{hugs}}}}

Brutus sounds like such a great character! The trouble makers always dig into your heart more...
You can put him on a cancer diet(no carb basically) to try and help curb it back... Spoil him for us all here...

Leroy and Lucy sends smooches

1 - 20 of 35 Posts