Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, trying to be a knowledgable dog owner and lover can be a little inundating. My day consists of work, dog activities, and eventually the internet. I read articles, DF(and other forum) posts, and the odd book that I can afford. All of these things make me realize how much I don't know. There are so many conflicting opinions and "facts" that take into consideration what is ethical and effective in regards to dogs. Even after reading well into the night, night after night, I still feel clueless next to many of you.

That being said, I turned down my foster's prospective home. They sounded great over the phone and they drove quite a way to get here but then they interacted with Mia...Not only was it obvious that he expected the children to be the main caretakers but he scared the tar out of Mia. I talked to him for quite some time about training methods and what Mia responds to. Still, the first thing he did was shove his knee into her chest. He didn't even allow loose leash walking because he was practically holding the collar! Talk about a tight leash. He had her yelping and licking her lips. I tried teaching him. I illustrated many times. There was no working with him! Finally he left, taking nothing from the experience. I could tell that he thought Mia was a stupid dog and I'm no better. Good riddance. I'm willing to wait for my move to Denver because my stomach turned seeing him with Mia.

An update on Mia and Kaki: I've found that Kaki has the capacity to be a frisbee dog and she absolutely loves it. I do too. I've always wanted to give it a go. Mia is a tolerable dog even in my book. She needs more work of course but I can tolerate her present self. The other day, kaki opened the gate of the tennis court and they both took off after a little old lady. I yelled Kaki's name and the both u-turned straight back to me. I was so proud!:D

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Clueless? I don't think so. Conscientious people are the ones who ask the questions and always do the second guessing....the cluesless ones don't even know where to look for the answers and when shown, they discard them.
Don't feel bad about the foster rejection. With any luck you made them think about one or two things that might make life better for the future dog.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
You are not the only one.

I have had 10 fosters in the past two years and with Britches being my last you should have see me then! Turning people down left and right. lol You KNOW what kind of home they need, want, deserve, and that you want to see them in. After all of the time, love and patients you're not going to just stick them in some hell hole where you don't have some thought of how they're going to be taken care of.

All I can say is you will know when you've found that right home. It took 9 months with Britches. He was adopted and then returned. His home now is absolutely perfect for him and I wouldnt have had it any other way. (Well maybe.. I would have kept him if possible) You're heart knows what's best.

That obviously was not the right home for Mia let alone any dog right now. It sounds more like he wants to get a dog to keep his kids entertained.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm obviously not clueless. I just don't feel educated enough to have really well written responses for the things that arise here on DF or in arguments with people irl. However, I do talk dogs all day at work(and I mean all day) but I'm lucky enough to have a co-worker that is actually interested in hearing what I have to preach.

That man still irks me. I was the kind of kid that spent hours walking through trails and creeks with my dog day after day(now I'm that kind of adult). I'm sure there are more of those out there. His children are not those. They both looked like they'd rather be at home on the Xbox or something.
A man approached the girlies and I while we were out playing today. We talked for a while and I'm really hoping he opts to take Mia. He had such a peaceful way of being and he really knew his stuff. *Crosses fingers*

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG! OMG! OMG!
All the searching and calling I've done to find Mia a home might pay off in the best way. Somebody is coming over to meet her because she could be a service dog! I am thrilled and elated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts