Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to go Christmas shopping. I left the cat with its food in the bathroom to ensure that the dogs don't eat the food. And wouldn't you know it either my 20yr old son or 9yr old daughter went in there and left the door open. Of course they were also playing with the puppy who is really good about hanging out in the living room and sleeping in his crate. My oldest fell asleep and didn't put the pup up so guess who ate the cat food. This little pup always acts like its starving so it loved the large bowl of cat food. Now its hitting his system and the results are not good. I thought about giving him a little Pepto but he is just 2lbs so I have no clue how much to give.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess we are going in to the vets today. He started throwing up and has horrible poo. I gotta get something for him.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Guess we are going in to the vets today. He started throwing up and has horrible poo. I gotta get something for him.
Most puppies react badly to new food - that's why when we change their diet we do it VERY gradually. Also, cat food is much higher protein than your pup is used to eating.

So taking him to the vet is probably prudent but I doubt there is anything seriously wrong with him.

Pepto Bismol is useful for treating diarrhea and for soothing stomach upsets in adult dogs. However, it is a good idea to get a vet's advice before administering the medication to your dog, especially with a puppy. Your vet can also tell you the dosage to use

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't ever had one vomit from it. I know that this breed can be overly sensative to stuff so I figure better be safe than sorry. When the other dogs have gotten cat food it just gives them loose poo and I don't worry about it. But this little guy has went from eating Old Roy puppy food,to eating Taste of the Wild. Had a ton of worms and treatment for that plus vaccines so I figure run him by and just have him checked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts