Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, boy. Fresno got hit by that storm coming in from Alaska. We had 1 3/4 inches of rain yesterday and hail and thunderstorms today. Kodi is used to storms, Taz is neutral to them, but poor little Gizmo came in from going potty and he was just shaking like a leaf. D:

It's supposed to be like this for a week so i think im going to invest in doggy raincoats for the three of them. There are some good one's at the Target by my house for about $6-$9 a piece.

I'm kinda curious. How do your dogs act duing a storm?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Annie and Bouncer both act as if there is absolutely nothing going on outside. We've literally had tornadoes roll by our house as of late (twice since New Year's Eve) and they happily chew their bones, laze around, and act like the little loveable monsters they sometimes can be. I can't take credit for it either... for some reason they're just naturally unafraid of storms. I do make a point not to coddle them when they're afraid, as I don't want to tell them their fears are justified.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Annie and Bouncer both act as if there is absolutely nothing going on outside. We've literally had tornadoes roll by our house as of late (twice since New Year's Eve) and they happily chew their bones, laze around, and act like the little loveable monsters they sometimes can be. I can't take credit for it either... for some reason they're just naturally unafraid of storms. I do make a point not to coddle them when they're afraid, as I don't want to tell them their fears are justified.
Yeah. I mean I feel bad that he's scared and all but at the same time he needs to learn that weather like this is just part of the world he lives in. I don't think I coddle him. He'll sit next to me, shaking, and I think it's mostly for warmth and I'll just pat him on the head and tell him its nothing to be scared of (just in a normal tone of voice). He'll calm down after about 15 minutes and go play with Taz and Kodi.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'm actually more afraid of storms than Basil is, lol! Basil isn't bothered by storms at all, which is surprising considering all of the other things he's anxious about. But it's a pleasant surprise, lol! I try not to show that storms freak me out, though (I live in Texas and I'm terrified of tornadoes, especially since not too long ago we got stuck driving through a tornado!!) because I don't want him to pick up on my fear and decide that he should start being afraid, too.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
My dogs seem to not notice storms. However, I myself love a good thunderstorm. In the summertime, when there's a storm in the forecast, the dogs and I (and usually the cats) camp out on the hill in my yard and watch it roll in. When I brought Tag home, I made a point to make thunderstorms the starter of GOOD stuff (playing baby-dog games in the backyard when it was clouding up/getting windier). My dogs got a little weirded out over one storm last summer...it was the middle of the night and it came with a vengeance. TONS of lightning, thunder, and power outage. No one seemed OVERLY upset, but I could tell they were very aware something wasn't normal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hershey doesn't mind the rain one bit, we'll usually go out walking in it if it's our regular walk time. It's really funny when it's just misting, because she tries to shake the mist off her hair.

Unfortunately, since we get thunder maybe once every two years...she wasn't a happy camper at 4:00am this morning. I tried yummy "candy" and tossing a ball but I was sleepwalking as it was so I was content to let her hide behind the toilet until it passed.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster does what Saint Bernards do best, he snores through any storms. Even if we have thunder that rattles the windows, he's too busy snoring to care.

The only time Ive seen him upset during a storm was when we were under tornado warnings with the storm headed for us. I'm a mess at that point and he's feeding off of my anxiety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts