Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

In 3 weeks my pup will get the third round of shots against parvo and distemper.
It is safe to walk him? At this point, can he still get parvo?

Thank you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hello,

In 3 weeks my pup will get the third round of shots against parvo and distemper.
It is safe to walk him? At this point, can he still get parvo?

Thank you.
Vaccinated puppies get Parvo too. If the vaccine was given too early it can neutralize maternal antibodies which leave the puppy without protection. This is why a puppy has to have a course of three vaccines, if the first one is given at six weeks you can guarantee that it would have knocked out maternal protection. If vaccines are started later at the point that passive maternal immunity is waning the puppy has a much better chance of creating immunity for life. Canine immunologist Dr Ronald Schultz recommends one shot around 16 weeks and then done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vaccinated puppies get Parvo too. If the vaccine was given too early it can neutralize maternal antibodies which leave the puppy without protection. This is why a puppy has to have a course of three vaccines, if the first one is given at six weeks you can guarantee that it would have knocked out maternal protection. If vaccines are started later at the point that passive maternal immunity is waning the puppy has a much better chance of creating immunity for life. Canine immunologist Dr Ronald Schultz recommends one shot around 16 weeks and then done.
He got the firs round at 9 weeks , the second at 13, weeks and the third will be at 17 weeks ( On Nov 25).
I started walking him a little in the neighborhood - so far we walked 4 times outside the backyard.
I am not sure if I should postpone walking until his 17 weeks ( 3rd round of shots) so I minimize the chances for getting parvo .
Not sure what to do........:(

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
He can still get parvo. Maybe.

Basically, materal antibodies wear off sometime between about 9 and 16 weeks, and until they do the vaccinations don't work. Each vaccine is an attempt to limit the time the puppy is unprotected by maternal antibodies or the vaccine. Once the maternal antibodies have worn off and don't interfere with protection one shot does it. The problem is, you don't know when that will happen.

You need to call your vet and ask about parvo risk in your area. Puppy classes with only vaccinated dogs are fine, play dates with known vaccinated adult dogs are fine, fenced yards are safe, places where dog traffic is low are relatively safe, carrying your puppy is safe. I did a lot of going to like grocery store parking lots and watching people come and go, or sitting on a bench watching the world or being carried around until that third shot - well, about 10 days after the third shot since it takes some time for the immune response to happen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

- well, about 10 days after the third shot since it takes some time for the immune response to happen.
THANK YOU. Probably we'll stop walking for some time. I want him alive. We also have another dog so he is not completely un-socialized.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If your puppy got the second vaccine at 13 weeks, it is probably he has immunity, instead of doing the third shot, titer him. A titer is a test for circulating antibodies that shows a dog (or person) seroconverted from the vaccine, ie it took. When it comes to vaccines more is not better because every vaccine comes with a risk of injury, most often seen as autoimmune conditions like allergies and intolerances, and once immune you can't make a dog more immune. There is a lot more to this topic of vaccines and vaccine vs natural immunity but I won't go on.

No need to stop taking him out, because he will be building up his own natural immunity by coming into contact with the germs. Think about it, the vaccines would be pretty bad at what they are supposed to do, if at 17 weeks he had no immunity whatsoever, and given he has already been out for walks, the processes of acquiring natural immunity would have been occurring.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Basically, materal antibodies wear off sometime between about 9 and 16 weeks, and until they do the vaccinations don't work. Each vaccine is an attempt to limit the time the puppy is unprotected by maternal antibodies or the vaccine. Once the maternal antibodies have worn off and don't interfere with protection one shot does it. The problem is, you don't know when that will happen.

You need to call your vet and ask about parvo risk in your area. Puppy classes with only vaccinated dogs are fine, play dates with known vaccinated adult dogs are fine, fenced yards are safe, places where dog traffic is low are relatively safe, carrying your puppy is safe. I did a lot of going to like grocery store parking lots and watching people come and go, or sitting on a bench watching the world or being carried around until that third shot - well, about 10 days after the third shot since it takes some time for the immune response to happen.
Actually, maternal antibodies work very well, but if they are interfered with by vaccines at too early an age, that is when the puppy can more easily come down with Parvo. This is why many people vaccinate once after 12 weeks and check titers three or so weeks later.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No need to stop taking him out, because he will be building up his own natural immunity by coming into contact with the germs. Think about it, the vaccines would be pretty bad at what they are supposed to do, if at 17 weeks he had no immunity whatsoever, and given he has already been out for walks, the processes of acquiring natural immunity would have been occurring.
Thank you.
I am kind of confused now...
1. the vet said I could walk him...
2. some say he still can get parvo.
3 At this point I just want him healthy. He walked in the backyard for 3 weeks he can walk for 3 more. Again, it was not easy for me to get him. So my main priority right now is to keep him alive. The rest, socialization and other considerations, can be addressed later.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In lower-risk areas (generally, areas where there is a lower incidence of parvo/where there has not been a known recent outbreak) vets will often say that it''s OK to walks pups after their second set of vaccines.

This doesn't mean they can't get parvo, but it because as has been said, it is likely that a pup's maternal antibodies have waned and the vaccine antiobodies have taken over protection around the time of their second shot. Also has been mentioned, it is becoming more common for the vaccines to be done at 12 weeks only (or sometimes at 8 and 12 weeks) and then to check titers a few weeks later rather than automatically giving a second shot. Checking titers allows you to make sure that the protection of the maternal antiobodies have waned and the vaccine antibodies have taken over, done through a blood test, I believe.

Many points to your vet if they said you could walk him because of socialization. He is close to the end of/possibly already out of his "critical period of socialization" where pups are especially receptive to new situations/experiences, when it is recommended they meet a variety of people and safe dogs and experience a variety of sights/sounds. That said, it's still a good idea to try for some level of socialization at this age, before his last set of vaccines. Personally, I often rely on carts (which I line with a blanket) in pet friend stores- home depot, lowes, petsmart and petco. IMO the risk of disease is lower if they're not on the ground and interacting with this so directly, but you still get the benefits of socialization. Many vets still recommend waiting 16 weeks to do anything, but more and more are seeing the importance of early socialization, thankfully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts