Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Our pup is 18 wks now -- so I'll just speak from our experience

Crate. Make sure you get one for the size of the dog as an adult, with a divider to make it smaller while the dog is smaller. You might also consider getting an exercise pen. We brought the puppy home, and couldn't have him instantly crate trained for that first night, so we did the crate in the ex-pen. We still have that set up, but the ex-pen is half the size as we're transitioning him down to JUST crate since he doesn't ever pee overnight anymore.

Dog bed. This is something that will probably need to be purchased more than once. Our dog is growing out of his puppy bed, and we ended up getting him a second bed because he'd drag his bed out of his crate into the living room during the day. He is systematically destroying that one. We hope to get him a "nicer" one when he's done teething.

Kongs (2x?) and other feeding games.* (I suppose you buy bigger kongs as the dog grows) We started with x-small and now we're up to medium.

Water bowl. We've got multiple of these too - both in the house, and we have a big one outside to fill when we're playing outside.

-Misc. toys (any ideas of what should be in this category?)* Our pup loves soft toys, rope toys, toys with squeakers, and softish rubber toys that are easy to chew on. Buy an assortment of inexpensive toys at first to figure out what the pup likes, keep an eye on them, checking them regularly to make sure they aren't becoming dangerous (pieces breaking off, etc...), then if you find favorites you can buy the more sturdy, expensive versions. We learned this after spending a bunch of money on expensive toys that he ignored.

-Plenty of absorbing paper. * Weewee pads work great for cleaning up accidents. They are SO absorbent, they really suck the pee off the floor/out of the carpet.

-Odor masking cleaner.* You'll want an enzymatic cleaner - not something that just masks odor.

-Dry shampoo.* Haven't found the need for this. Our pup isn't stinky. He gets a bath about once a month.

-Brush. The soft rubber brush thing has worked best for us since our pup has super short hair. He doesn't even shed, we pretty much just use it to get him used to the sensation.

Doggy toothbrush. You'll need to replace these over your dog's lifetime!

Doggy Blanket? As of now, our pup still sees blankets as a convenient place to pee in the house, so he can only have them if he's cuddling with us.

-Leash.
-Collar.
These you'll also probably replace over time. We're on our second harness, third collar, and second leash in 10 weeks. (grew out of the first harness and collar, second collar broke, first leash's clip isn't big enough for the D ring on the harness + collar together) Don't forget an ID tag!

-Vaccines (4x shots the first year).* This could be more or less depending on the age of the dog and which vaccines are appropriate for your area. Hamilton has had 5 so far since I've had him - one bordatella, 3 distemper, one rabies - and the vet recommended a lyme and lepto series, which would be 4 more shots. Haven't decided on these yet!

For other things -- shoes that are quick to put on to go out! A toy box for all your pups toys. Maybe some bitter spray if he's chewing things you don't want him chewing (no amount of distracting or redirecting could save wicker baskets from my pup!!). You didn't mention food bowl. For health expenses there's also the spay/neuter, heartworm pills and flea/tick preventative. Depending on what kind of dog you're looking for, there may also be grooming expenses. You might need a travel crate or dog seatbelt if you will have the dog in the car. I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of too! It's amazing how much stuff my dog has.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
People use them here for a place for their dog to potty inside. I just found they were awesome for sucking all the pee off the floor when the dog had an accident!! (vs. using 10 paper towels, or a bunch of rags)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts