Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying that I've had my 15 week old collie for a little over a month. He's doing great with puppy school, he learns quickly, he rarely ever pees in the house...buuut that's probably because we're always on top of him about it. If he doesn't get rushed outside every hour or two, he will squat without warning and piddle on the floor. He doesn't give any indication that he needs to go outside.

So we got him a potty bell in the hopes that he will try to let us know. For the past few days, my partner and I have been taking him to the door and showing him that 'hey! one of your favorite people is outside!' and once he sees that he will paw at the bell to go out. Yay! We've also put tasty bits of food outside of the door and had him ask to go out for them. He seems to have picked up on this VERY fast. If there's something that he wants outside, he rings the bell so he can go get it. He even did this on his own the other day when he saw someone familiar through the window.

This has only been a two day venture though, and so far no potty rings. Just 'I want that thing out there.' I want to make sure I'm on the right track!! Is this how you potty bell??

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am not a trainer, but I try to think things through on a very basic step by step level for training.

You have taught the dog how to dingle the bell to go out....only when the dog wants something outside. You have not made the connection between potty and the bell.

Suggest to stop the "outside motivators" and refocus on connecting potty and bell. Every time you take him outside for a piddle, work with him to ring the bell, use a verbal command, give treat with any attempt. Then open door and go out. Treat when he piddles or poo with a verbal command of "Yes, good dog!"

Right now, he just dingles because HE wants something that is outside. No connection to potty outside and the bell dingle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am not a trainer, but I try to think things through on a very basic step by step level for training.

You have taught the dog how to dingle the bell to go out....only when the dog wants something outside. You have not made the connection between potty and the bell.

Suggest to stop the "outside motivators" and refocus on connecting potty and bell. Every time you take him outside for a piddle, work with him to ring the bell, use a verbal command, give treat with any attempt.
Then open door and go out. Treat when he piddles or poo with a verbal command of "Yes, good dog!"

Right now, he just dingles because HE wants something that is outside. No connection to potty outside and the bell dingle.
Hopefully someone posts a good technique for that. Our dog ALWAYS wants to go outside, so no idea how to link a bell only to pee/poop.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It is just like training for anything else.

Small steps.
when you take the dog out for Facebook, ring the bell with praise and a treat.
outside when Facebook is read, praise and treat.

Always go out when the dog dingles the bell with praise and treat. When Facebook is made, praise and treat. Otherwise.....go back inside. No reward for just going out......

Need to establish the connection of Potty and Bell.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is just like training for anything else.

Small steps.
when you take the dog out for Facebook, ring the bell with praise and a treat.
outside when Facebook is read, praise and treat.

Always go out when the dog dingles the bell with praise and treat. When Facebook is made, praise and treat. Otherwise.....go back inside. No reward for just going out......

Need to establish the connection of Potty and Bell.
I don't understand the Facebook parts. :confused:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry Tater33. The "Facebook" part is a reference to another forum topic.

Small steps.
when you take the dog out for potty, ring the bell with praise and a treat.
outside when potty is done, praise and treat.

Always go out when the dog dingles the bell with praise and treat. When pee/poo is made, praise and treat. Otherwise.....go back inside. No reward for just going out......

edited to clarify.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry Tater33. The "Facebook" part is a reference to another forum topic.

Small steps.
when you take the dog out for potty, ring the bell with praise and a treat.
outside when potty is done, praise and treat.

Always go out when the dog dingles the bell with praise and treat. When pee/poo is made, praise and treat. Otherwise.....go back inside. No reward for just going out......

edited to clarify.
Thanks Knute, I hadn't read that topic. Great advice too, hopefully I can get it to work with our dog.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Tater33, good luck. I hope it all works out. Don't give up, this may take some time for the dog to make the connection of potty/bell.

I was not successful with my dog. Oh, he had the bell ring down pat in just a few trials. But could not make the connection to the potty urge. I attribute the misconnection to our living location. We were on the 17th floor. He would ring the bell, collar and leash applied, down the hall, wait for the elevator.........sometimes 5 minutes sometimes 15, then out of the building. By the time we got outside.....the connection of potty and bell was lost. BTW, I cleaned up many "accidents" waiting for the elevator.

Anyhow, now.....we just go out about every 4-6 hours during the day. Otherwise, just before lights out (11 pm) and 1st thing in the morning (6 am).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Knute,
you have mentioned good points to keep in mind. I had been looking for the basic training commands for a puppy and found a good link for the same. you can read much needed and related stuff at silver lab training post of Nelson. He mentioned different tips and tricks that sound interesting. I found it useful information and thought to share with others like me who know nothing about Dog Training. Here is the solution and guide for Labradors Training at https://yoursilverlab.com/.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Julia, Thanks. I'm blessed with a MiniS that is very sharp and easy to train in most tasks. He easily adapts to situations in a busy city and apartment life.

Training tips are always good as guides. Just be aware, a particular method or tip may not work with your dog.

I've been trying to teach the "down" command for nearly 2 years...just haven't found the combination to his head on this command. He knows many other more complex commands.

One of the most complex is the "Home" command. We can come back from a walk to arrive at the lobby of the high rise building. I can remove his leash and say "Shadow. Home." He takes off to the elevators to identify which of 3 will arrive. He holds outside the lift until all the people are out and I enter, then he comes in. The elevator may stop at multiple floors on the way up. He holds until our floor, then he exits. Scampers down the hallway, then sits in front of our apartment door. Frequently, other apartments have the door open, he passes by to go to our home.

I'm lucky on this command......I didn't teach him the steps. I think he got it from repetition of other commands and behaviors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts