Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So Yogi is about 4 1/2 months old now. He was just neutered last Friday. He's doing great at puppy obedience classes and the potty training. The potty training will be less of a hassle after we move into our new house in mid-July. We're on the
3rd floor of an apt. right now so we've been potty-training him using a litter box with wood pellets out on the balcony.

Anyways, I am seriously considering getting another puppy or dog after we get settled into our new house...probably around August or September.

Is it best to get a female or male companion for a male puppy? Anything else we should know before possibly getting another little one?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I wouldn't....I'd wait. I'd wait until Yogi is a year or two years old to get another dog. Focus on the training of one dog and then add another

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I'm with Xeph about the ideal amount of time needed between puppies.

I would also caution against another dog in your particular situation. You are going to be extra busy and scattered because of the move and Yogi is probably going to be stressed and anxious for the same reason. That's no time to bring a puppy into your life!

If it were me, I would wait until Yogi had a year or two on him and I was totally settled into my new house.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would love another puppy, mine is 15 weeks and im all broody :) Im going to wait a couple of years though till hes grown up and my children are older. Were thinking of getting a more much more active breed to go running/ biking etc with my hubby and I personally dont think its the best idea with a one year old running about. (were thinking collie, springer or husky)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I wouldn't....I'd wait. I'd wait until Yogi is a year or two years old to get another dog. Focus on the training of one dog and then add another
i agree with xeph on this. wait until your dog is out of the puppy stages and you know more about his personality, as they do change as the mature. make sure you can handle the teenage time with one, as i would not want to deal with 2 moody dogs during that time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts