Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1125 Posts

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Good thread idea. There's one for agility so why not ob/rally!?

You guys are on your way. I'd try out some "fun" shows at a local kennel club or training area to get him used to the distractions and environment and dive in soon!

Frag and I took a rally class two years ago? I think it was two. Maybe one... anyway, he did awesome, I'd love to trial, I'm just too lazy/cheap to get him registered with the AKC. Haha. My new pup will hopefully be doing obedience in a year or so. He's got the positioning and retrieve started. So far, so good. :) It'll be cool to follow everyone's progress here.

My pup is too young for formal obedience or rally (just started puppy class part 2 last night) but I can't wait to participate in these things with him. I love reading everyone else's stories!

Watson's mom got her RN a couple weeks ago, so hopefully he'll follow in her footsteps.
Never too young! He's only a few weeks younger than my pup and this is the prime age to work on foundations for formal obedience and rally. :)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Never too young! He's only a few weeks younger than my pup and this is the prime age to work on foundations for formal obedience and rally. :)
By that I just meant that he can't enter the official obedience and rally level classes until he's finished his foundation work in puppy class part 2 (which is just a slightly advanced version of their Basic Obedience class, so not only puppy play time or anything) and the "Better than Basic" level class. We're also focusing a lot on life skills training like "leave it" and loose leash walking, but he's definitely getting the foundations now. He was the star at his puppy class part 1 test :) It was set up like a mini-Rally course which was fun.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Lark just graduated her beginners obedience class on Thursday. We have been training at the Novice level for a couple months now and she is almost ready to enter her first Novice obedience trial. We could do Beginners Novice trial but I'm more of a traditional dog world person and I will only ever do the Novice, Open, and Utility classes.

Hawkeye and Kechara are both trained at the CDX "Open" level, and Kechara did very well in a fun match I brought her to got a 189 in Open, but I just haven't gotten them out to any obedience trials maybe I'll enter all three in one trial lol.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
trainingjunkie rocked the casbah today!

Squash qualified. We biffed one station (the first one, of course *rolleyes*) but we didn't let it get us down and everything else went well.

Smug mofo (I feel compelled to disclose that there was only one other dog in Novice A so the second-place ribbon doesn't mean as much as you might think it does :p):

Video:

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
trainingjunkie rocked the casbah today!

Smug mofo (I feel compelled to disclose that there was only one other dog in Novice A so the second-place ribbon doesn't mean as much as you might think it does :p):

]

But you did Q. The green ribbon is the important one

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You guys looked great! I was so glad that you had the video! You would never have guessed that this was his first show. You are going to have so much fun!!!

Looking forward to tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
We haven't done any formal obedience/rally classes yet (though we start a rally class on Tuesday!), but I was luckily able to get Kimma her RN last year haha. I've been working with her for a while on the basics (positioning, heel work, pivots, retrieves, recall, etc.), so I'm hoping getting in to class will just give us the boost we need to start competing again. Agility has been our main focus for the past year, but I want to hopefully at least try for her RA and maybe her BN soon. The ultimate goal would really be her CDX (I think only one other Finkie in history has gotten it, and it was a male if I'm not mistaken, so she could potentially be the first female to get it!), and if we got any rally stuff along the way, then even better.

Hopefully I will have some interesting content to add to this thread one day LOL.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Welp, the dreaded NQ for Squashies today - but in some ways it was as good of an experience for me as yesterday because... nothing really bad happened. I commiserated with a woman who goes to my same training club, and the sky didn't fall. :p

We did not get half a block away from the venue before he was dead asleep in the back seat, so I think he was just SO tired from yesterday that he got overwhelmed today and a bit stressed out. His default displacement behavior when his head is in that place is to become completely fascinated by anything but me - in this case, a dog in the next ring. Plus I don't have the experience in the ring yet to be able to recover well when things start to go amiss. Live and learn.

I think until he gets more used to trialing, I may only enter him on one day per weekend. Either that, or if he Q's on a Saturday just withdraw from the Sunday and eat the entry fees. When we did the CAT, he kind of did the same thing - the second day I actually thought he might quit the course although he ultimately ended up finishing. So he may just be a one-day wonder until he gets more experience. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The rule is that you can use food in Novice and Advanced at the end of a station, if that station ends with the dog in a stationary position (sit, down, or stand.) You have to keep your food in the opposite pocket, and you cannot pretend to be holding food to lure your dog around (which you CAN do in CKC/AKC, as stupid as it is. I know a lot of people who never would have gotten out of Novice A in CKC if they couldn't lure their dog all around with pretend food.) You can also, in theory, use a toy, but I honestly can't think of how someone would tug with their dog without the dog breaking position and/or it being considered to "seriously affect the flow of the run." I also have never owned a toy that could be concealed in a pants pocket.
Thanks for the clarification. I've read through the CARO rules, but I haven't really had a chance to go through CKC's. The thing about having food in the ring is that it would make me feel safer to have it in case my dog has a small freak out. Then we could at least have some hope of training through it. However, I do agree that it doesn't really deserve a title if you just lure your dog through everything - that would mean even a dog with no previous rally experience and no knowledge of the moves would have a chance at getting a Novice title if the owner was skilled enough at luring. Kind of takes away from the hours of practicing you have to put in.

sassafras said:
Squash qualified. We biffed one station (the first one, of course *rolleyes*) but we didn't let it get us down and everything else went well.
Yay! Congrats! Looks like he just needed that first station to realise what was happening and then got right into the grove of things.

sassafras said:
I think until he gets more used to trialing, I may only enter him on one day per weekend. Either that, or if he Q's on a Saturday just withdraw from the Sunday and eat the entry fees. When we did the CAT, he kind of did the same thing - the second day I actually thought he might quit the course although he ultimately ended up finishing. So he may just be a one-day wonder until he gets more experience.
I can imagine it can be pretty taxing on a dog to have to go through two days in a row in a trial setting. It's just one of those things called experience that can only be acquired with time.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry Sassafras! But like you said, nothing bad happened! There's always another weekend! Gives me a higher chance of bumping into you somewhere down the road! I like your idea about trials. That's exactly why each of my girls were only entered one day. My male has more energy than is natural, so I can just keep bringing him...
Thanks! It's funny, because just earlier I had been telling you about how when he gets stressed he stares off into the horizon, aheheh. I'm looking at it as a good learning experience. In retrospect, because I knew he was tired I let him rest in his crate almost right up until we went in except for one short little practice in the warm up ring. He's really a dog who needs to gawk and soak stuff in before he can really be comfortable, so I wonder if having him out earlier and more practicing attention and LAT (which we did a TON of on Saturday) would have helped.

In any event, the sun will still come up tomorrow. :D

On my end, my whippet finished her RN title with a 2nd place. My little female finished her RA title with a first place and walked off the course happy. And finally, my male got his 3rd CDX leg! I never have to show him in open again! The out of sights sits and downs were going to be the death of me! Now, time to regroup and decide where we go from here. Thinking about an RAE on my male before testing the waters of utility!
Hooray! I didn't get to watch all your legs, but the ones I did your dogs looked fantastic! I hope to see you again, our next trial is January in Hugo (I think 12-13th?).

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Ha! Your words have no power here, because I don't even know what HIT is!

Seriously, I'm having waves of nervousness but mostly just at the idea of doing something publicly where a bunch of people will be watching me. I'm not agonizing over what our score will be, though.
HIT = High in Trial - awarded to the highest scoring dog in the Regular classes.

There's also High Combined, which is awarded for the highest combined score in Open B and Utility, but that will have been decided before you go in.

Those two have to be offered - although not necessarliy awarded - at every trial. But many trials also have other awards or trophies that may have to wait until all results are in.

So some of the people hanging around till the end of a trial include those who have already received relatively high scores.

Don't worry about the butterfiles - everybody gets them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
HIT = High in Trial - awarded to the highest scoring dog in the Regular classes.

There's also High Combined, which is awarded for the highest combined score in Open B and Utility, but that will have been decided before you go in.

Those two have to be offered - although not necessarliy awarded - at every trial. But many trials also have other awards or trophies that may have to wait until all results are in.

So some of the people hanging around till the end of a trial include those who have already received relatively high scores.

Don't worry about the butterfiles - everybody gets them.
Just want to clarify that HIT only applies to Obedience - there is no HIT or similar award in Rally.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The rule is that you can use food in Novice and Advanced at the end of a station, if that station ends with the dog in a stationary position (sit, down, or stand.) You have to keep your food in the opposite pocket, and you cannot pretend to be holding food to lure your dog around (which you CAN do in CKC/AKC, as stupid as it is. I know a lot of people who never would have gotten out of Novice A in CKC if they couldn't lure their dog all around with pretend food.) You can also, in theory, use a toy, but I honestly can't think of how someone would tug with their dog without the dog breaking position and/or it being considered to "seriously affect the flow of the run." I also have never owned a toy that could be concealed in a pants pocket.
Unless the rules have changed recently, AKC does not allow food in the ring. APDT (now I think UKC) does

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
He's really a dog who needs to gawk and soak stuff in before he can really be comfortable, so I wonder if having him out earlier and more practicing attention and LAT (which we did a TON of on Saturday) would have helped.
I try to make a habit of arriving at the trial site early, then casually LLW my dog around the entire trial area, ... including the perimeter of the ring we'll actually be working in. Just to acclimate him / her, and reduce the likelihood of any potential 'stargazing' in the midst of our run. I find this helps immensely, especially in an unfamiliar venue.

Not sure if that might apply to your particular situation, or not.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Just want to clarify that HIT only applies to Obedience - there is no HIT or similar award in Rally.
That's true. No HIT or other competitons between the regular classes in AKC Rally like you have in Obedience ( except for the brand-new optional high combined)

But the point was that - depending on how the triai is set up - if you are going in late in a trial, even in Rally, you could be watched by the high Obedience score handlers who are waiting around for the decision on HIT or other high-score awards from the obedience competitions. .

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Welp, the dreaded NQ for Squashies today - but in some ways it was as good of an experience for me as yesterday because... nothing really bad happened. I commiserated with a woman who goes to my same training club, and the sky didn't fall. :p

Alice NQed twice in novice. Let me rephrase that. Alice did fine, I missed signs. She breezed through Adv, and Ex and finished her RAE the same day as her CDX.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Unless the rules have changed recently, AKC does not allow food in the ring. APDT (now I think UKC) does
Oh, no, AKC and CKC have never allowed food in the ring for Rally - but they do allow you to pretend to be holding food between your fingers to "lure" your dog everywhere, which you cannot do in the organizations that allow food. I haven't really been keeping up with UKC (just... so much drama over there about every little thing,) but if they do now allow food, I would imagine they have a similar "no pretend luring" rule.

As an aside, APDT no longer holds Rally trials. They sold the rights to their trials to USDAA.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oh, no, AKC and CKC have never allowed food in the ring for Rally - but they do allow you to pretend to be holding food between your fingers to "lure" your dog everywhere, which you cannot do in the organizations that allow food. I haven't really been keeping up with UKC (just... so much drama over there about every little thing,) but if they do now allow food, I would imagine they have a similar "no pretend luring" rule.

As an aside, APDT no longer holds Rally trials. They sold the rights to their trials to USDAA.
My rally coach said you are not supposed to lure your dog. You cam use a flat hand, but not pretend to hold a treat.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My rally coach said you are not supposed to lure your dog. You cam use a flat hand, but not pretend to hold a treat.
If you were a good trainer, you wouldn't, but you're perfectly allowed to within the rules. I've personally watched people get qualifying scores on courses where they have to clap their hands and yell, "C'mon! Come get the cookie! Look what Mommy has!" while going past the Offset Figure 8. The next time you go to a trial, watch everyone when they have to do a front - almost every single one of them will hold their fingers together and pretend to be holding a cookie to "lure" their dog into a (usually slow and crooked) front.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oh ok. I see :) i never use treats during the course (training, havent made it to a trial yet)...she works much better without treats...for whatever reason *lol* she gets one before start and after finish

21 - 40 of 1125 Posts