Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1125 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if we can get enough interest going for a thread like this. Or, maybe starting this is just a faux-pas for a newbie poster (if so, I'm sorry), but Simon and I have just completed our first set of Rally-O classes! We had a blast and he has really impressed me with his capacity to learn so fast (yet again). When we started the class, he still thought that every dog in sight was meant to be played with :lalala:. His focus improved tremendously and he's amazingly picked up (pretty much on his own) to shift his hips along with me in my direction of motion while heeling.

So here are two videos from our graduation class last night. Please pardon any spatial coordination issues on my part and the slight wardrobe malfunction in the second video making me look like I don't know how to dress.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Very nice job!!! When are you headed into the ring? Looks like you're ready!

I don't know if we can generate enough interest to keep this tread alive, but I am willing to do my part!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am currently in my first rally class with my 8 month old lab-mix :) she is doing great and i love love rally! Its so much fun...not sure we will be competing ever though.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Great video. I just started my 2 in Rally on Monday. I'm not sure where we'll be at the end of this semester.

My lab, who does freestyle (and already knows a lot of the moves in this class) has forgotten how to sit, lol. The last time she was in the training ring our Rally class is held in was for nosework, so she thinks I'm going to tell her to go sniff. I expect she'll get over that, but we have spent the past few days brushing up on her sit command. The funny thing was, I had all the signs printed and went through each of them with her at home and she did fine. I think once she equates to what's expected of her in the training ring, she'll be fine.

My setter, who is very proud of her basic obedience skills, (and has done a few of the moves for Rally), is afraid of the gates outlining the ring and also, won't sit. Since it was just the one class so far, I'm hopeful that she will work through this phase and blossom, though I may have to repeat the class with her. For her, it's more about finding ways to build her confidence.

So this week has been all about sit, sit, sit. I brought some gates home to work with. I think, hope, it will get better, but right now I'm feeling like a bit of an as*.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
This weekend Squash and I will be in our first Rally trial, ever. My husband will be videoing, and I figure either he'll be a rock star or we'll be the next viral YouTube sensation (a la Fenton).

Either way, I'm good. :D

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
My pup is too young for formal obedience or rally (just started puppy class part 2 last night) but I can't wait to participate in these things with him. I love reading everyone else's stories!

Watson's mom got her RN a couple weeks ago, so hopefully he'll follow in her footsteps.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Great video. I just started my 2 in Rally on Monday. I'm not sure where we'll be at the end of this semester.

My lab, who does freestyle (and already knows a lot of the moves in this class) has forgotten how to sit, lol. The last time she was in the training ring our Rally class is held in was for nosework, so she thinks I'm going to tell her to go sniff. I expect she'll get over that, but we have spent the past few days brushing up on her sit command. The funny thing was, I had all the signs printed and went through each of them with her at home and she did fine. I think once she equates to what's expected of her in the training ring, she'll be fine.

My setter, who is very proud of her basic obedience skills, (and has done a few of the moves for Rally), is afraid of the gates outlining the ring and also, won't sit. Since it was just the one class so far, I'm hopeful that she will work through this phase and blossom, though I may have to repeat the class with her. For her, it's more about finding ways to build her confidence.

So this week has been all about sit, sit, sit. I brought some gates home to work with. I think, hope, it will get better, but right now I'm feeling like a bit of an as*.
You know you can buy a ring gate from companies like J&J, Clean run, etc. Targeting games with the ring gate should improve her confidence. (and will be helpful in getting a go-out.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
This weekend Squash and I will be in our first Rally trial, ever. My husband will be videoing, and I figure either he'll be a rock star or we'll be the next viral YouTube sensation (a la Fenton).

Either way, I'm good. :D
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bear has taken two Obedience classes (one more about foundation skills and the other about formal Obedience,) and Mozart is taking the same Foundations class now. Bear will be part of a CARO seminar/fun match next Sunday as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm so glad this thread has actually taken off!

Very nice job!!! When are you headed into the ring? Looks like you're ready!
Thanks! He's still not quite ready to perform the same way in a distracting environment. He'd gotten used to the classroom and the dogs in it. He's just generally fairly sensitive to motion and quick to react to it (probably somewhat like your 5 year old?).

TorachiKatashi said:
Bear has taken two Obedience classes (one more about foundation skills and the other about formal Obedience,) and Mozart is taking the same Foundations class now. Bear will be part of a CARO seminar/fun match next Sunday as well.
I was also considering showing under CARO. They allow you to take food in the ring with you (you just can't use it as a lure from what I understand) and they allow dogs to wear a harness. Good luck at your trial and update us!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks. Novice A is dead last so at least the crowd will be thinner and I won't have TOO many people watching me. :p
Not to put undue pressure on you ... but ...

you DO realize that the people watching at the end of the day are usually the HIT and other trophy award hopefuls ??? LOL :p

Don't worry though, just filter and you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I was also considering showing under CARO. They allow you to take food in the ring with you (you just can't use it as a lure from what I understand) and they allow dogs to wear a harness. Good luck at your trial and update us!
The rule is that you can use food in Novice and Advanced at the end of a station, if that station ends with the dog in a stationary position (sit, down, or stand.) You have to keep your food in the opposite pocket, and you cannot pretend to be holding food to lure your dog around (which you CAN do in CKC/AKC, as stupid as it is. I know a lot of people who never would have gotten out of Novice A in CKC if they couldn't lure their dog all around with pretend food.) You can also, in theory, use a toy, but I honestly can't think of how someone would tug with their dog without the dog breaking position and/or it being considered to "seriously affect the flow of the run." I also have never owned a toy that could be concealed in a pants pocket.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Not to put undue pressure on you ... but ...

you DO realize that the people watching at the end of the day are usually the HIT and other trophy award hopefuls ??? LOL :p

Don't worry though, just filter and you'll be fine. :)
Ha! Your words have no power here, because I don't even know what HIT is!

Seriously, I'm having waves of nervousness but mostly just at the idea of doing something publicly where a bunch of people will be watching me. I'm not agonizing over what our score will be, though.

1 - 20 of 1125 Posts