Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little pup has a desperate need to cache things.... she runs around the house whining with something in her mouth trying to bury things in mounds of laundry, in bedding, in sofas and her dog bed.

What do you provide to allay this need? I'm in a high rise and don't really want to give her a garden bed on the balcony to use... but what do people do with this instinct in their dogs?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Our Skyler loves to bury his high value chews, runs around worried until it is tucked in safe. His safe spots? Under our shirt, under our hip, under our pillow or Nader us when we are in bed. He stresses, we let him bury under us, while Chloe watches. We help him bury it by pulling up the covers for him & helping tuck it in. Now, Chloe has learned that once Skyler walks away & isn't watching that she has a chance to steal the chew for herself.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Maybe you could give her a pile of blankets in her crate for this purpose. Probably not as satisfying as real digging, but at least she'd have somewhere to hide her stuff.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Jax isn't crazy about doing it constantly, but he does have a habit of burying things. In the house, he'll attempt to bury his bones in or around the couch most often. Jumping up on the couch and pushing bones between cushions, or "hiding" it by placing it against the couch (tries to push it under but they never fit so he eventually gives up, thinking it's hidden well enough). Of course, his blankets in his crate make for a great place, too. I simply don't let him take anything outside to bury, as that's exactly what he will do if he totes a bone or anything else out with him. Just one of those dog things, but when it comes to doing it in the house, if it's not in a destructive way of any sort, I'd just let the dog go about it. It can be pretty entertaining for you, and obviously does something for them.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I keep special blankets for my small dogs. They bury their treasures in them, cover them up, walk away satisfied. Abbylynn buries her things far underneath the couch where they are safe and out of reach of Leeo and Blu Boy. :)

I use the 60" x 40" ( close to the size ) human polyester lap blankets ... they wash up so nicely too.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Maybe you could give her a pile of blankets in her crate for this purpose. Probably not as satisfying as real digging, but at least she'd have somewhere to hide her stuff.
my 2 year old jack really likes this, and he even has over 4 acres to hide stuff!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have only had her three months (and was worried she was neurotic or something!) Love these stories and ideas, thanks :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Aidan buries things in the house. His two prime spots are the couch and my husband's side of the closet. He buries toys and bully sticks, one shoe of each pair he finds, and contraband (brushes, combs, ear cleaner, hamburger buns).

I had no idea he was hiding hamburger buns until today. He came out of our closet with a rock hard, not moldy, hamburger bun in his mouth. We took it away from him, and he returned to the closet and brought out another one, and tried to zip past us with it. My son crawled around the closet floor and found another bun.

We don't feed Aidan products that contain wheat because so many SCWTs are allergic to it. I guess he disagrees with that policy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My Yorkshire Terrier looooves to bury and collect things. One day I was cleaning around the area by the cat tree and saw her go underneath this wooden table thing I have in front of it with a pair of underwear in her mouth. I moved the table so I could get to her and remove them from her mouth, and saw that she had started a collection of random things at the base of the tree (it is part of the cat tree so still covered in the soft furry stuff, I guess she thinks its comfy too). Underwear, socks, straws, toothbrush (wtf?), paper cup, various toys, plastic fork, just really random stuff.

BTW RoughCollie I think it is sort of funny that WHEATen Terriers are allergic to Wheat :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Piglet is part Boston terrier that I rescued years ago. On occasion we have Pizza night at the house. It turns out both our dogs like pizza crust. We call it pizza bone because piggy like to burry it under pillows in the couch. Its the only thing she has ever burried So so cute.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lol pizza bones! My dogs love pizza crusts but if they manage to snatch a piece it is gone and down their throat before they can even think about burying it haha.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Every time I read the title of this thread, I read it as though we're talking about burying terriers for a couple seconds before it clicks :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts