Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Used properly, you can teach your dog anything. Once they understand what a click means, it becomes a communications bridge between you and your dog.

I just taught my dog to touch a post it pad where ever I stick it. Did this in 5 minutes. I was so amazed how quickly she learned it that I just wanted to share with everyone who may be getting frustrated training their dog.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
never could understand the concept of the clicker....what ever happened to simple "YES! Good dog!" treat....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
So that's what a clicker looks like :p Interesting invention.

I'll keep it in mind, so far I think Ilya can read my face and knows when I'm not happy. Lola, our angel terrier/mix, has never been caught doing anything wrong and will do most tricks we taught her so far.

Cute dog ;) Is she still a puppy?

·
Banned
155 Posts
Interesting way of describing the clicker as "a bridge to communicate with your dog", accompanied by an example of how fast your dog learned something.

I signed up for the free email training thing about clicker training.

As another poster said, my dog knows several tricks and is quite well behaved with the exception of the "lunging at strangers" and chasing after squirrels, but I guess there's always room to try new things.

If we didn't adopt that attitude we wouldn't be cooking with microwave ovens and watching HDTV.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
never could understand the concept of the clicker....what ever happened to simple "YES! Good dog!" treat....
Yes and good are markers which are similar in theory to a clicker. A clicker is just more consistent in the delivery of a sound that the dog hears. When one says yes, the tone, length can be inconsistent. A click is a click, consistent and clear to the dog. I just find she learns faster with it. Give it a try.

So that's what a clicker looks like :p Interesting invention.

I'll keep it in mind, so far I think Ilya can read my face and knows when I'm not happy. Lola, our angel terrier/mix, has never been caught doing anything wrong and will do most tricks we taught her so far.

Cute dog ;) Is she still a puppy?
Thanks, she is 8 months old now.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I clicker train occasionaly but, never saw a real difference in the click sound vs. me just syaing Good dog, haha.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Yeah I have, but I just used good dog as the target, sometimes I fergot to grab the clicker, and it's not like I'm going to remember it every time I go out into the real world.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been using a clicker to teach my puppy to sit, lay down, stand, shake, and touch things. It's amazing watching her pick things up with it. When we were working on touch I would ask her to touch something brand new and she'd either touch it right away, or go through and touch the five things we'd already been working on first, then the new item. I never "charged" the clicker, just started clicking when she did what I wanted, but as soon as I click the clicker her head whips around to me, not matter what she's doing.

We've just begun learning stay. She's only 13 weeks, so I'm trying not to push her too far, but she eats it up. Her favorite parts of the day are our short training sessions.

·
Banned
155 Posts
Yeah I have, but I just used good dog as the target, sometimes I fergot to grab the clicker, and it's not like I'm going to remember it every time I go out into the real world.
That's what I was wondering..what happens when the dog is so used to it that you can't be without out it. Its something else you have to always carry around?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The dog doesn't know or care if you have the clicker or not. But when it hears the click it knows that the behavior was correct, so it's quicker to repeat the behavior the next time. If you just depend on *your* timing you might reinforce the wrong behavior, or the dog may be slower to connect the behavior with the reward. Plus the clicker is a constant, it always sounds the same.

You can also make a clicking noise with your mouth, or even use good girl, etc. But I tell my dog good girl so often it doesn't have the same importance as a click, which she gets right before a piece of dog food.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Used properly, you can teach your dog anything. Once they understand what a click means, it becomes a communications bridge between you and your dog.

I just taught my dog to touch a post it pad where ever I stick it. Did this in 5 minutes. I was so amazed how quickly she learned it that I just wanted to share with everyone who may be getting frustrated training their dog.
That's a simple one. I'm now teaching my Betty to weave between my legs. She got one leg down in 10 minutes, then the other leg in 5 minutes. Now I'm working on chaining them to gether into longer chains. All using the clicker. I tried it without and couldn't get her to understand. But she's learning about 70% faster with the clicker using Shaping. And it's also how she learned High-5 and Gimme-10 so fast.

Yes and good are markers which are similar in theory to a clicker. A clicker is just more consistent in the delivery of a sound that the dog hears. When one says yes, the tone, length can be inconsistent. A click is a click, consistent and clear to the dog. I just find she learns faster with it. Give it a try.
Another thing to add, you can make a click sound with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. I've used this technique as well when I forgot the clicker, and is just as effective.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That's what I was wondering..what happens when the dog is so used to it that you can't be without out it. Its something else you have to always carry around?
A clicker is a bridge, once you have crossed to the other side meaning the dog understands what sit is then you don't need it. The clicker is used for "explaining" new things to your dog before you associate it with a word.

Westhighlander your puppy is so cute. Just had to say cause I have a 1 year old.
Thanks! She's a great puppy.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It's a nice concept but it's not for every dog..

My dog doesn't really like it. I had VERY inconsistent results using the clicker. It scared her at some times, excited her at other. Yet, in obedience class a couple of weeks ago the trainer introduced the clicker to those who hadn't used it before and my damn dog started looking around as if to say "ohh what's that?!?!"

I use "good girl" as my marker. Yeah it's long, it's not as quick as "yes" but my dog doesn't have any trouble and I am just sooo used to using it.. since I've had her (6 months) we've accomplished sit, down, stay, come, wait, up (standing up), paw, other paw (although it only works one way), touch, take a bow, bang!, roll over, watch me, gimme a kiss, and we are now working on jumping over obstacles and spinning in a circle. So I think we're doing just fine, even with the clicker collecting dust in my living room :D We've done a lot of loose leash work/some heeling and also some alternative target exercises, like targeting paper and feet. LOL

Clickers have a lot of good uses though and I wouldn't be opposed to using it as a training aid with any other dog I may work with in the future.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have never used the clicker before. I thought about trying it, but found it much easier just to say "Good boy" which is said in the same amount of time as the clicker clicks. Lol.

I guess I prefer saying good boy because I want Hunter to know how proud of him I am and how excited I am that he got what I wanted him to. He's had no trouble and is a very quick learner. He got Paw, within a day (3 hours spread out) and had rollover in the same amount. I also use the good boy method with outside training on stay, down, 'get him', fetch, 'find him', and other police training methods.

Clicker training is great and I think many dogs can benefit from it. I guess I'm just content where I am because...well, it works now...so why change it? Lol.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have never used the clicker before. I thought about trying it, but found it much easier just to say "Good boy" which is said in the same amount of time as the clicker clicks. Lol.

I guess I prefer saying good boy because I want Hunter to know how proud of him I am and how excited I am that he got what I wanted him to. He's had no trouble and is a very quick learner. He got Paw, within a day (3 hours spread out) and had rollover in the same amount. I also use the good boy method with outside training on stay, down, 'get him', fetch, 'find him', and other police training methods.

Clicker training is great and I think many dogs can benefit from it. I guess I'm just content where I am because...well, it works now...so why change it? Lol.
Because it is more efficient. I did paw in 5 minutes then move on to high five the next day and did that in a few minutes. Not saying my dog is smarter than yours, but you may be able to accomplish things more quickly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.