Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently the switch from using a collar to using a harness. And I can honesty I regret nothing about it. Now my dog (Willow, a border collie) never has coughing fits, collar burns or gagging from the strain on her neck. Walking her is so much easier (But it never really was hard). I don't feel bad that her neck will hurt when making corrections, having the harness is a dream come true.

For anyone who was considering switching to a harness please do. It is easier to walk your dog and overall will be better for your dog to not have strain on there neck. But I would only suggest getting a harness for dogs that are well trained on the leash and don't pull (my Willow only pulls when she sees another dog...we're working on that). I hoped this helped anyone who wanted to make the switch :)

~WillowWoods

P.S. Harnesses come in all different sizes and looks adorable on any dog!

·
Registered
59 Posts
But I would only suggest getting a harness for dogs that are well trained on the leash and don't pull !
I second this! If you are using a harness on a dog that is not trained to walk loose leash you are only asking for trouble! It will only assist the dog in pulling harder and more. If you want to use a harness try using a Easy Walk front clip harness to assist with training your dog. I use it on Novie and helps alot! Far too often I see owners putting the dog in a harness from the get go, and they wonder why the dog is so strong when they pull!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I just got BB a harness, but I got it for the specific purpose of her pulling me. I'd been meaning to get a new one that is more equipped in allowing her to pull comfortably. It's made for canicross and various other pulling sports, but I will be using it for canicross, and biking.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have never looked back since Holly wears a harness, she has a collar on too when out, but i always clip her lead onto her harness.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I use a harness when I take Hallie tracking. Tracking requires a harness, a collar just complicates everything. When we go on leisurely strolls I break all of the rules and use and harness and a flexi.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my dog is a shih tzu papillon mix and they seem to have a bigger chance of coughing fits from collar than other breeds.
So I have always used a harness on him, and he doesn cough at all!
He also look so cute in them too :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts