Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in my intro thread, I've been doing the research on getting a pom puppy, am pretty sure I've settled on a breeder after getting recommendations, scouring shows, and talking to many breeders...but, I'm not planning on getting the dog until early next year (anywhere from January to April depending on circumstances). Right now it seems to far away!

So those of you who have had a long wait before getting a dog, what did you do to stay sane in the meantime? ;) I'm going to as many local shows as I can, visiting with my chosen breeder's dogs at said shows, reading books, and looking wistfully at pictures until the time comes!

Sometimes I wish I had a friend or a neighbor with a pom so I could offer to dogsit/dogwalk to get my pom fix until I can get my puppy!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
No sure about staying sane, but I got my dog fix by going to PetsMart, to the dog pound, to shelters, and dog parks. The sad thing is that I just went to the Feed store to pick up some supplements and they had two 9 week old puppies for sale... just like my current dog, who is 11 yo. Although we can't have two dogs and I can't subject my old dog to young puppies.... I still can't stop thinking about them...

So, if you get a dog fix, be careful that you don't get a dog :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, yeah, no worries there. We're maxed out at two pets (cats) in our condo so we absolutely cannot bring home a dog until we move.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You really can't stay sane. I look at my breeders puppy pictures, and random other peoples puppy pictures (I also replay the sentence "If you're ready for a puppy now you can have one from this litter!" in my head -_-). It's a form of self torture, really. It only makes me want another puppy 100x more. But then I look at my monster that I have...and realize I can't do two puppies at the same time and waiting a year or more is totally worth it - I like having walls to live within.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
The waiting is awful, isn't it? First, I waited five years to have a job with no travel and a house rather than a rental. I had been researching brittanies, but I wasn't finding breeders I liked (all kept kenneled hunting dogs, and I want a house pet). A friend of a friend suggested welsh springers so I had to start doing more research. Around November last year I emailed the breeder I had picked and I've been waiting since then. She initially thought her girl would go into heat around Jan/Feb, but it ended up being the end of March, so that period was painful! I just couldn't wait to hear that the breeding had happened. Now she's bred and I have about 5 weeks to go before they're born. I'm so worried that the breeding didn't take or she'll have a tiny litter and I won't get one, so I end up checking the breeder's website daily for updates (and I love seeing the updates on dogs from her past litters and imagining what my dog will be like). I hope she's not tracking IP numbers and wondering "Who is this crazy who visits my site twice a day?" lol

So yeah, no advice really, since I know how tough it's been. I have two rabbits and life will change for them once the puppy arrives (not so much freedom, and they'll have to share their house with a crazy species they've never seen) so I try to focus on enjoying time with them until puppy chaos begins.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha I totally know what you mean elrohwen. I'm constantly visiting my breeder's FB page and website to see if any new puppies or dog photos have been posted and I keep thinking "I hope he doesn't somehow know I keep refreshing his page and thinks I'm a crazy stalker." I'm hoping to get an orange male and he has three available right now! If only I just had the house. It's certainly been good motivation to keep saving up for our move! Every time I want to buy something frivolous I think, "No...pomeranian puppy!" I seriously think I'm more excited about getting a pom again finally than I am about getting a house. XD

Thankfully it sounds like he will likely have a litter around when I can finally get my dog. It was a nightmare trying to find a quality local pom breeder who was actually still breeding regularly.

And yeah I'm just trying to distract myself with other things as well. I'm getting married in August so I'm slowly entering planning panic mode with that and that'll be a good distraction, followed by the moving plans not long after. And of course giving the cats extra attention, as they'll probably be somewhat miffed when the new puppy shows up. Although I am kind of hoping they'll eventually play together. I have siamese mixes so they're incredibly active and social and all the videos of poms and cats playing on youtube is giving me hope that this is totally possible.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A happy update: Apparently we can add a dog to the condo afterall. My fiance (who owns the condo) brought it up this week, and I was pretty surprised since he'd been so firmly of the "no dog until we move" stance.

I am pretty ecstatic. It's nice not having the pressure of getting a dog contingent on moving, since we've been talking about pushing the move back a year to save up more. We're still waiting until after the wedding/honeymoon obviously so we're not dealing with a puppy on top of wedding and travel plans, but at this point, I may be able to get my pup as soon as September, or December at the latest, depending on when the breeder has something available!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
im almost iun the same boat as you, i am going to get a cane corso puppy by next year but i cant have one til then because i dont have the time or the space right now where i live (the house is too small for such a large dog lol) but you know as Tom Petty says: waiting is the hardest part :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts