Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I went out and bought a treadmill for my 'Not so Lazy' kelpie/border collie/aussie shep mix puppy. Temperatures are already getting too cold for long walks and sidewalks are icy, and its pitch dark by the time I get home from work so no dog parks on the weekdays..

How many others use treadmills for their active or working breed type dogs? In the summer time I took him to Dog parks, rollerblading, jogging, long walks.. it was awesome! but its time for me to hibernate..... LOL.

I have basically turned my basement into a gym, I have an elliptical, weights, etc which I usually use to work out, and now I've added the treadmill and the last couple evenings after work I throw Thumper on the treadmill while I work out, he seems to enjoy it. Although he won't engage in a full "run", not sure if the track is too short for him..seems like its long enough but he refuses to do it so he just trots at a fast-pace and occasionally I raise the incline and have him just walk. After we are done and head upstairs, he gulps some water and runs right back down to the basement and sits on the treadmill like he wants to go for more!

I've only been doing 30 mins for him to get him used to it.. but if there are other treadmill doggy users out there.. how long are you putting your dogs on the machine for? What is a safe practice and what isnt? Thumper is just 6 months old so I dont want to "over do" it so to speak..

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
A dog that age shouldnt be doing much hard running (such as roller blading, running, cycling ect)

Id probably put him on it for 15mins at a slow pace.
I dont own one. My work has a dog one. and I have put my dogs on it when they are there But they are both older

I just end up sucking up the cold, and going out lol. its dark here by 430 now, and will continue to get darker. I just get up earlier and try and get them out

·
Registered
631 Posts
I wouldn't be doing hard forced exercise with a dog that age either. Too hard on growing joints.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, however I will note than in the warmer/lighter months when exercising him outside he is always on grass when running. we have excellent trail systems here where I live and they are grassy on either side of the paths so when I rollerblade or jogged with him he stays on the grass as I know its not good for young pups to run hard on pavement. However, this dog NEEDS to run. He thrives off it, and as far as the treadmill, well that is why I only have him jog and walk on it, atleast it it absorbs more impact than pavement. If he doesn't get atleast an hour of solid exercise everyday, he goes absolutely nuts, so I've been doing 30 mins of jogging/walking on treadmill and maybe another 15-20 minute walk outside around the neighborhood. Other then that, because I have vaulted cielings in my house, I throw a toy occasionally to the top floor (house is carpeted) and he gets a smidge of exercising running up and down the stairs, but still not enough to tire him out.

He is a working breed and this dog NEVER stops. He doesn't lay down or stop moving until he is either in his puppy room during the day while im at work, or in his crate at night sleeping.

On weekends I take him to a dog park for a long walk then I throw his ball to fetch and that is sufficient enough but on weekdays... I'm at a loss so Im doing whatever I possibly can to give him the exercise he needs in our freezing Alberta winter months, because if I don't he drives us nuts, and trust me 15 or 20 min little walks in -25 below temps simply just don't cut it for this pooch! Lol

Thanks for the input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts