Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Update from the owner XD (I do exist)
Jet is doing So much better! He is now very happy to greet people and will go up to them himself, I think this is the biggest change in him. He has gotten better at greeting other dogs but there is still a bit of a rivalry between Jet and Keechak's aussie Hawkeye. Jet likes to push Hawk around but today Hawk pushed back a bit and told Jet off. So we'll se where that goes.

Here's some pics of Jet at his first swim day.

Here's our family picture The beautiful (meditating) Papillon is Jazz.

We've come a long way but we still have a long way to go and learn, me especially.

That is a good ending to a bad start,Jet is a very good looking dog,he has a regal presence about him and his eyes are awesome!!
We are no where near the end, this is just the beginning. :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
One question... how's he do with the pap? I'm contemplating getting an Aussie next so I'm just curious.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
One question... how's he do with the pap? I'm contemplating getting an Aussie next so I'm just curious.
Well I'll let Hiaja Speak for her own two dogs, but when my aussies are around smaller dogs they are very gentle. there is the occasional accidental aussie steping on the pap but when the pap yelps and growls/ snarls her disaproval everyone gives her space.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Jet is fairly respectful of females. Especially ones that speak their mind. He and Jazz get along wonderfully. She will jump on him to get in her car seat and it doesn't phase him. Sometimes though Jet will step on her but then she gives him a piece of her mind. Overall they are great and quite the brother and sister and I haven't had any problems with fights or jealousy.
I would like to note that Jazz, my Papillon has been around Australian Shepherds since she was 8wks old as well as numerous different breeds of big and little dogs throughout her life.
If you were to get a puppy I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on the pup that they don't start using the pap as a chew toy-and if it's an adult do a meet and greet. Jet and Jazz got along from the moment they met. Having Jet get along with Jazz was a HIGH priority I was NOT going to risk her safety.

Well it seems to me like he probably ran away from his original owner, I come to this conclution because of his habit of wandering off after deer smell.
I must add my own conclusion to his street wandering days.

I don't believe Madison has too many deer although he could very well have followed his nose into some sort of trouble. My deduction is he was not getting enough exercise and decided to exercise himself. This guy needs a lot of exercise! He can go a full day of running and want more.

Too small of a home+not much of a yard = dog finding own exercise. Why they didn't try and find him? Maybe they gave up on him, if he wasn't getting his exercise he would start having displaced behaviors. Add to that he was intact, I feel it is a recipe for someone wanting their dog to be someone's responsibility other than theirs.

Another thought is that something happened to his owner. I say this because when the stinker ripped the leash out of my hand to chase the deer and I was looking all over for him, it turned out he went home and was waiting to be let inside. So he always goes back home- I'm thinking he may have gotten picked up before he was able to get home.

It was sad, I was talking with a staff member at the humane society before I adopted him and we both agreed it looked like Jet was looking for his owner. Everyone that came in the door he would look at longingly only to be disappointed.

I would love to know Jet's past so if anyone knows someone who can speak to animals let me know. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I must add my own conclusion to his street wandering days.

I don't believe Madison has too many deer although he could very well have followed his nose into some sort of trouble.
LOL, I would agree with that...can't say I've seen many deer in Madison in my 4 years here!

Both of your dogs are gorgeous and I'm glad to hear that he's coming around so well. Its sad to think he might have been looking for his owner...wouldn't you think his owner would have thought to look for him at the humane society when he went missing? :(

·
Registered
209 Posts
New Info. Jet likes to take off after deer trails. so he is no longer allowed off leash outside untill he gets a solid recall
ROFLOL I can laugh about this now but I took Jet for a walk (this was when I first got him) and he was on leash and I had my Papillon, Jazz, and our old farm dog Sheba, with me too. Well he sees the deer, throws his 60lbs into the leash, sure enough the leash breaks and he's off after the deer. The funny thing is that he tracked the deer's trail backwards.

Do the girl dogs give a hoot, who were off leash? Nope, not one care about the deer - they stick right by me the whole time-my support group- :)

To top it off I search all over for about an hour, I get back home and find out he's been there for about an hour already.
Lol well I got exercise and everyone was safe and in one piece which is what counts.

Both of your dogs are gorgeous and I'm glad to hear that he's coming around so well. Its sad to think he might have been looking for his owner...wouldn't you think his owner would have thought to look for him at the humane society when he went missing? :(
Thank you, I have to agree that they are beautiful, I love my pups!
That's why I could only come to the conclusions that either his owner gave up on him (Jet was a handful when I got him and still can be) or his owner was incapable of looking for him-hurt, possibly dead.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Haija
I know you already on top of the deer program, just an addition. This is not a to be trusted dog where there are deer. Deer chasing is one of the few programs where an e-collar might be appropriate(notice I said might) I am not advising you do this, as for foolproof work I myself would be on a horse so I know for sure if dog is running a deer before I would ever use shock. I am definitely in the do not trust off lead routine that you are already doing. As an X-bird dog, horseback type trainer I do have an idea how far a dog will actually go chasing a deer. If a dog is in deer country he can lose the 1st deer and attempting to return jump on another hot trail so-on and so-on etc till he is gone. I'm just tossing this useless history type trivia in here, you probably are already aware of this stuff. I think you have done a great job with the Jet dog, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Hmmm, I'm probably going to go for an adult whatever it is instead of a puppy this time. Summer has lived with a German Shepherd before no problems but I'm obviously more concerned about the larger breed dog's reaction to her than hers to it.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hmmm, I'm probably going to go for an adult whatever it is instead of a puppy this time. Summer has lived with a German Shepherd before no problems but I'm obviously more concerned about the larger breed dog's reaction to her than hers to it.
I'm sure you already know this, but, there are a lot of show aussie breeders who will rehome their finished CH adult dogs. Just an option for you, it might be safer for your paps considering the breeder would know the dog's personality and could tell you right away if he/she would get along with smaller dogs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Haija
I know you already on top of the deer program, just an addition. This is not a to be trusted dog where there are deer. Deer chasing is one of the few programs where an e-collar might be appropriate(notice I said might) I am not advising you do this, as for foolproof work I myself would be on a horse so I know for sure if dog is running a deer before I would ever use shock. I am definitely in the do not trust off lead routine that you are already doing. As an X-bird dog, horseback type trainer I do have an idea how far a dog will actually go chasing a deer. If a dog is in deer country he can lose the 1st deer and attempting to return jump on another hot trail so-on and so-on etc till he is gone. I'm just tossing this useless history type trivia in here, you probably are already aware of this stuff. I think you have done a great job with the Jet dog, keep up the good work.
I have actually been toying with the idea of a shock collar. I can't afford one right now though. I feel that getting my message through to him before anything bad happens is worth a corrective shock. I prefer to just be able to call him off without having to go to the drastic measure of shocking him. He is happiest when he can run around off leash (what dog isn't). I do like the safety net a shock collar provides but I'm going to leave that as a last resort. Even if I do have one I wouldn't shock him unless I had to, no other way to stop him situation. I just feel using a shock collar is a bit of a cheat, and my plan is to set situations up for success so we don't have to go to that measure.
Thanks for the idea!

Same thing hear about being concerned with the big dogs reaction but I think sometimes I should be worried for the other dog instead. lol

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I have actually been toying with the idea of a shock collar. I can't afford one right now though. I feel that getting my message through to him before anything bad happens is worth a corrective shock. I prefer to just be able to call him off without having to go to the drastic measure of shocking him. He is happiest when he can run around off leash (what dog isn't). I do like the safety net a shock collar provides but I'm going to leave that as a last resort. Even if I do have one I wouldn't shock him unless I had to, no other way to stop him situation. I just feel using a shock collar is a bit of a cheat, and my plan is to set situations up for success so we don't have to go to that measure.
Thanks for the idea!

Same thing hear about being concerned with the big dogs reaction but I think sometimes I should be worried for the other dog instead. lol
Haija
I did not put the info online so you would purchase and use an e-collar to stop your dog, sometimes improper use of an e-collar could actually cause your dog to bolt(run away). Do not ever use an e-collar without some professional help. Think about what my reply said that being on horseback gave me the tools I needed to get the job done. Along with a lot of years of reading/training dogs. You are already doing a good job with dog and there are many things that should be tried before e-collar use. I am sorry if you misunderstood and thought I was advising collar use. I do believe I was suffering from a severe case of foot in mouth disease.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Haija
I did not put the info online so you would purchase and use an e-collar to stop your dog, sometimes improper use of an e-collar could actually cause your dog to bolt(run away). Do not ever use an e-collar without some professional help. Think about what my reply said that being on horseback gave me the tools I needed to get the job done. Along with a lot of years of reading/training dogs. You are already doing a good job with dog and there are many things that should be tried before e-collar use. I am sorry if you misunderstood and thought I was advising collar use. I do believe I was suffering from a severe case of foot in mouth disease.
"foot in mouth disease" lol I gotta remember that one

·
Registered
209 Posts
Haija
No worries I am not going to purchase a collar because of your post. I plan to make a very informed decision about it and do everything I can NOT to have to buy one.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts