Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My friend dosn't seem to be keeping you people up to date on her dog so I will.

My friend (DF user "Hiaja") Got a new dog from the shelter about a month and a half ago. He was found wandering the streets of Madison, Wisconsin.

He is a black and white Australian Shepherd male, 62 pounds. After she brought him home he stared showing some fear aggression issues. he would growl, snap, and bark defensively at men. and he would do dominance posture and growl at male dogs.

Here is his picture.

I know he dosn't look completely purebred but neither does my girl Kechara(she is), so he looks close enough that I call him an Aussie. (although I joke sometimes that he is a "pit bullxnewfoundland".)

Well after she got him he snapped at two people (once he even made contact but didn't grab on) but with observation we noticed he only got aggressive when he was cornered.

and so with a few weeks of socializing. he will now walk up to people and sniff them and even accept a stranger stroking him on the cheek. although he still backs up a bit. It's DEFIANTLY a big improvement!

a couple weeks ago "hiaja" brought Jet (thats his name) to my cousins house. My cousin owns two Labrador Retrievers a male and a female and after sleeping over at my cousins house one night this is what happened in the morning!

He is doing so well! and she has him entered in agility classes right now too.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
He looks so happy :D

I'm glad he's getting over his fears, I had an Aussie like that but after countless behaviorists they said it was most likely a genetic thing since he had shown zero improvement and gotten worse even with gentle socialization, I felt so bad, he was afraid of every single thing you could imagine.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
WoW, he's beautiful! It's great to hear that he's doing so well in his new home with your friend.
I LOVE seeing healthy dogs like that, having a great time running off energy!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WoW, he's beautiful! It's great to hear that he's doing so well in his new home with your friend.
I LOVE seeing healthy dogs like that, having a great time running off energy!
I know it's horrible to think that in the month that he was in the shelter he was never able to run around and have fun like this. He was only allowed to walk on a leash or be in a kennel run.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
He is a handsome boy!!!

I'm glad he's doing well now and enjoying life to the fullest. It's obvious your friend is doing a good job with him, and I'm sure he's gonna be a star in agility.

One thing though.... we need more pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is a handsome boy!!!

I'm glad he's doing well now and enjoying life to the fullest. It's obvious your friend is doing a good job with him, and I'm sure he's gonna be a star in agility.

One thing though.... we need more pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
haha ya actually we do need more pictures. those two pictures were taken on the day she brought him home. His coat is much shinier and healthier looking now.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
He is such a handsome boy! Glad she rescued him, looks like he is pretty happy about it too. I can't wait to see him in another few months.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MORE PICTURES!

My friend came over with her dog today and we got some nice pictures of him"Jet" and her little Papillon "Jazz"

Thats me in the brown jacket gaiting him.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya he has ran off tracking deer twice now but luckily came back after about 5 minutes. and it's not like she wasn't watching him. she just let him out of her car and then his nose was to the ground and he started speed walking (trotting) away to fast to catch.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
He is SO pretty! I love the new pics of him, esp the top one of you gaiting him.
Sorry to hear that he's not allowed off leash at the moment, but it's for his own good & I'm sure it's only temporary as I bet he gets a good solid recall down fairly quickly!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I must say that she has fabulous taste in dogs. Two of my favorite breeds! :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A new Update on Jet.

He has gotten much better with strangers. Today Jet walked up to a man he had never met and asked to be petted, even licking the man's hand to encourage more pets. Jet just pushed his head into his hands when he stoped, as if he were saying "Hey keep petting me!"

Jet is learning agility too. He has gotten to the point where he likes to do the jumps all by himself insted of having to be encouraged and lead with a leash.

Here is a picture of him and "Hiaja's" other dog a papillon named Jazz with my dogs. They had fun swimming today.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts