Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum should have a venting section....strictly for the bone-heads who get dogs and don't raise them....

Well, here's my story about bone-headed neighbors::

A family moved in next door a few months ago: a mom, dad, and three kids under the age of 7 I'd say (ages probably 6, 4, and 2). They seem like a, well..how to put this..."disfunctional" family. I've heard the mom and dad fighting realllyyy loud on their front lawn, and they let their 6 and 4 yr olds go to the park down the street alone. I mean...our neighborhood is probably pretty safe...but...IDK...scary!!

Anyways, back to the dog. They got a puppy probably the end of March. I feel half way reponsible because we got Penny about middle March, the kids probably saw her and begged for a puppy themselves.

Well it started out alright, the puppy was inside/outside about 50/50. (their property is 100% fenced in and a decent size for a dog to run and play) Sometimes it was tied up to the porch when they had to do yardwork.

BUT now...it's outside all the time!!! I'm not sure about nights, but all day. The little girl kicks it, hits it and pulls it's ears. Hard! With a mean expression on her face! The dad sprays it with the hose to get it to stop barking (which it does almost non-stop...do you blame it?), so the kids were spraying it in the face with water guns :(

I just now took mine outside to potty, and it was tied up on the porch with about 3 feet of tie-up :eek: 3 feet! On the porch! What if it has to go potty??

Last night it poured rain for about 30 mins or so...it was outside the whole time :( It doesn't have a dog house...as if I really had to tell you all that. It was barking and yelping the whole 30 mins...poor pup. I thought, ya know maybe no one was home...but no...they were home, I went out to let mine potty after it stoped pouring rain and I heard them yelling inside the house. :mad:

One evening, my hubby was out with the dogs, I was in the office which is by a window that faces out in the back yard. I heard this awful puppy-crying. You know when you accidently step on your dog's tail or paw, that "yelp!"? Except it was non-stop for about...3 minutes. IDK if they hit the dog for pottying inside the locked it ouside, or they got angry and literally kicked the dog outside...? IDK, but it was really sad

Well, to explain the title of this thread...it has received 0 training (at least not good training, IMO kicking it and hitting it doesn't count as training), it's outside almost all the time, has had no interaction with other dogs, and has very little to no interaction with humans (even it's own family!). I am not looking foward to living next to them in another 6ish months when it's full grown. AND it's a mutt puppy who is huge!! It's going to be a really big dog!!! No way they are going to keep a huge, aggressive, mean, barking dog around their children. But little do they know, they are digging their own graves right now with not raising their puppy properly.

It got out of their yard once and was roaming in mine, which is fine, dogs will be dogs and want to explore. But when he gets mean and aggresive and huge....I will not want that dog in my yard around me and my dogs.

Maybe one day I'll be in a sitaution where I can mention to the woman that I can help her train him if she wants. She'll probably say "no that's alright" (she's very nice to me)....but it would be worth a shot. I am by no means a pro or the best trainer there could be...but at least I could do something!! Teach it to sit, teach it to potty outside (well teach the owners how to teach it to potty outside), teach it not to jump on people, teach it to lay down, teach it that humans are not all bad and mean and not all of us hit our dogs!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish they would've gotten a stuffed animal instead.....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
What a shame. :( I'm sorry you have to deal with that situation. Perhaps you could call animal control; if anything it might get the pup some outside housing atleast.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Why haven't you reported them for abuse and neglect?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have some neighbors down the street from me who occasionally "let their dog go" whenever he "Wants". The poor little guy looks horrible. He looks like a maltese or maltese mix with absolutely no grooming done at all. He is intact, so hopefully there's no other idiots with intact females running around. But the thing that scares me the most... when they let him roam... it's on his "leash" (which is nothing more than two belts tied together and fixed to his collar, that has no I.D.). I can't wait for the day this dog gets caught on something. AC will do nothing about it, and I don't know why. I guess the family just tells them it was a mistake and he got loose on accident or something. It doesn't happen often, maybe once every month or so, but this scares me.

There's another family with a very nice fenced in backyard... and they keep their gate wide open all the time. Their dog roams. I saw him a few weeks ago and he was limping... I'm assuming he got hit by a car, because I've seen him almost get hit sooo many times. After that day I didn't see him for a while. But I saw him the other day... tied on a very short leash to the gate, that was open. I don't know their reasoning behind leaving it open, maybe there's a good one, though I doubt it.

I hate passing judgments on these people, especially since I've never met them, but I despise them.

If you notice the dog out without proper shelter or water... call Animal Control. The non-stop barking... call AC. Hopefully they will respond and take care of the situation.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Why haven't you reported them for abuse and neglect?
I agree with you but you also have to consider the proximity that they live. These are people that she's living next to and sees every day. They don't sound like upstanding citizens, TBH, so if they found out who it was (I think it'd be a fair assumption to say that the woman next door who loves dogs would be the one to call animal control) they could raise hell.

My neighbors had their car windows smashed because someone thought they reported standing water - and I'm not even sure that they did it. Imagine if they had reported a dog.

I'm not saying I wouldn't call, it's just that there can be serious consequences that one needs to take into consideration.

·
Registered
442 Posts
For me ,this paragraph was all I needed to read and pretty much knew where this was heading. I would be so tempted just to grab the pup and take it back to the shelter yourself . Some people are just so plain old dumb .

A family moved in next door a few months ago: a mom, dad, and three kids under the age of 7 I'd say (ages probably 6, 4, and 2). They seem like a, well..how to put this..."disfunctional" family. I've heard the mom and dad fighting realllyyy loud on their front lawn, and they let their 6 and 4 yr olds go to the park down the street alone. I mean...our neighborhood is probably pretty safe...but...IDK...scary!!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Sadly in six months the dog will probably be euthanized for biting one of the kids or getting loose and attacking someone in the neighborhood.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
The shelters are full of dogs like this one will be.

Puppies are cute. Dogs not so much.

They used to say "The Trouble with a kitten's that it soon grows up to be a cat!" And people who get kittens fill the shelters too. Same saying can be said of puppies.. they grow up and become dogs.

The people who lived in my house b4 I bought it had a dog. They tied it up. Then they let it run. It was a nuisance dog. It got killed. The neuighbors told me this when I got my dog. These people also had a cat. They abandoned it when they moved out. The cat was afraid of me and I could not catch it (tho I tried!). Cat was male and not fixed.

Maybe those people moved in next to the OP?

·
Registered
79 Posts
why don’t you call the shelter they adopted the pup from and tell them whets going on...some shelters reserve the right to take the dog back...Make an anonymous call...tell them the situation and BAM these morons will get a surprise visit....

If that doesn’t happen call the humane society...My step sister had a lab whom was left tout side all day then put in a cage inside when it wasn’t outside....so I called the ASPCA they came to investigate on my anonymous call and next time they visit they will confiscate the dog, if I were you I would call the chances they figure its you is so slim, just do whets right before one of their kids gets seriously bitten by a their dog...

Remember owning a dog is a privilege that dog didn’t chose who adopts it, but with the help of others it can be put in the right situation.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I agree with you but you also have to consider the proximity that they live. These are people that she's living next to and sees every day. They don't sound like upstanding citizens, TBH, so if they found out who it was (I think it'd be a fair assumption to say that the woman next door who loves dogs would be the one to call animal control) they could raise hell.

My neighbors had their car windows smashed because someone thought they reported standing water - and I'm not even sure that they did it. Imagine if they had reported a dog.

I'm not saying I wouldn't call, it's just that there can be serious consequences that one needs to take into consideration.
If someone smashed my windows because I reported them for animal abuse, I'd be reporting that too.

And honestly, if I couldn't find out WHO smashed my windows - that's what insurance is for. Yes, it'd be a hassle for me - but it's the RIGHT thing to do.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
If someone smashed my windows because I reported them for animal abuse, I'd be reporting that too.

And honestly, if I couldn't find out WHO smashed my windows - that's what insurance is for. Yes, it'd be a hassle for me - but it's the RIGHT thing to do.
I'm not disagreeing with you - I'm simply saying that sometimes it's NOT as easy as just saying "let's call animal control!" There are important considerations.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you - I'm simply saying that sometimes it's NOT as easy as just saying "let's call animal control!" There are important considerations.
Which is why I said "Why haven't you" and not "DO IT!"

;)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
True, true - perhaps I misinterpreted your as notsomuch asking a question, but chastizing the OP for what they "should have" done. Oh, the fun of the internet. ;)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
True, true - perhaps I misinterpreted your as notsomuch asking a question, but chastizing the OP for what they "should have" done. Oh, the fun of the internet. ;)
Indeed. If I wanted to chastise them, I'd say "I can't believe you didn't call AC, what a 'female dog' YOU are". And then it'd get erased by a mod ;)

They actually still could do it, so I still wonder why they haven't, or if they will. I can say if I were in that situation with any of my neighbors here, I would (and I have called AC on my neighbor's loose husky when it ran into my yard with my 5 lb puppy.)

Hopefully there is a reason why beyond just not wanting to be rude or upset the neighbors. If you actually fear they would hurt you or your dogs, I can see not calling. Sadly we can't pick our neighbors, and if people start taking the neighborhood from a safe fun place to somewhere that people abuse animals and break windows, it's a shame. :(

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The only problem with calling authorities is...I don't know enough. I assume it is being hit sometimes in the home...assumption. The little girl who kicks and hits it...well she can't kick too hard cause she's just 4. And it seems to be fed...it's not skinny. So IDK, I'll wait and see if anything else happens. they've only had it for a couple months.

It just makes me upset...I feel so sad for the little dog...I want to take it! Imagine me with three dogs...oi! I just wanted to vent...I thought it would make me feel better, but it didn't, lol. :(

Plus, for me personally....I'd rather say something directly to them than call someone else and hide behind my closed doors. I just need to get the guts to say something. I don't want to be hated, and it goes way beyond just me not like the feeling of knowing someone dislikes me. It's a little involved to get into right now. Maybe sometime I'll offer to help train him because I am concerned for the children's safety....hmm..I'll think about it.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
The fact that it is left out in the rain is enough reason to call IMO. And you have seen the kids kick the dog so the adults are not teaching their kids the proper way to treat the dog. I called our SPCA on a neighbor because he was neglecting his dog to the point the dog had a very bad case of mange. He wasn't sure who it was so he didn't talk to a few of us for a very long time...didn't bother me a bit. At least the dog was removed from the home.

Think of the poor dog. He is being mistreated.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
In addition to that, the hose is pretty bad. The only time I have sprayed a dog with a hose was to break up a fight, and it was at their body, not their head. It was also a 100 lb dog. Not a little puppy.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
LOL, the only time I spray a dog with a hose is if they enjoy it like my Dobe does.

Seriously, call the shelter and find out what the laws are in your area. I know in CA they would be breaking the law by having the dog tied out the amount of time you describe and on a chain as short as you describe. Sometimes it takes an investigation and the AC people explaining things to the owners to get them to straighten out.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The being left out in the rain, the suspected hurting, the kicking, the NO DOG HOUSE, the hosing for punishment, the 3 foot tether on the porch - all are suitable grounds for calling AC.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts