Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 3009 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I do love cardis. My friend has like.... 6 I think? I was cuddling her older girl for almost an hour last week.

I want a dog that cuddles.

Yeah there's a sheltie breeder I'd like a dog from but she's across the country and I dunno if I want to spend all that money flying out to get a dog when I have a lot of resources to find a good one here in rescue... That and I've seen just the BEST sports dogs come through rescue. Particularly some BC type mixes. I'm SUPER picky with shelties though. And I'm not that keen on their looks. :/

I'd really like a 25-30 lbs, lightly built, lightly feathered or smooth coated herder type that is all around moderate.... Quick petfinder check shows about a dozen dogs fitting that exact description sitting in shelters here. Not even rescues but kill shelters.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
OH BOY DO I HAVE PUPPY FEVER. IDEALLY, I'd love to get a dog for show my first choice is a Boston Terrier or English Bulldog. Since I already have my own dog (Charlie) though, my boyfriend gets dibs on the next dog we get. He wants a Rottweiler so the next puppy to come into my life will be a one of those. I've thought about wanting to show that dog but I'd rather put more effort into my future Bostons or Bulldogs. I've found a Rotti breeder the area that has beautiful dogs. They show, health test and work their dogs.

We have to wait until we move into our own place so for now, my parents' Chi puppy is fufilling my puppy fever.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've got it bad, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting a puppy until Rowan's gone, so not until a LONG time from now, hopefully. He just... really doesn't like puppies.

I do plan on adding an adult dog next year-ish. I'm hoping for an adult from a breeder but we'll see. I've got a list of breeds I'm interested in (herders and sporters primarily, with a sighthound or two in there as well) so we'll see how it works out :)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I do love cardis. My friend has like.... 6 I think? I was cuddling her older girl for almost an hour last week.

I want a dog that cuddles.

Yeah there's a sheltie breeder I'd like a dog from but she's across the country and I dunno if I want to spend all that money flying out to get a dog when I have a lot of resources to find a good one here in rescue... That and I've seen just the BEST sports dogs come through rescue. Particularly some BC type mixes. I'm SUPER picky with shelties though. And I'm not that keen on their looks. :/

I'd really like a 25-30 lbs, lightly built, lightly feathered or smooth coated herder type that is all around moderate.... Quick petfinder check shows about a dozen dogs fitting that exact description sitting in shelters here. Not even rescues but kill shelters.
I would stay away from ACDs then, because although there are exceptions most aren't big cuddlers, lol. Especially the females for some reason, the males are a lot more touchy feely than the females.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yay! Another corgi on board! It's definitely worth it. Eren is a little stinker but he's cute and fun and has a crap ton of personality.

My puppy fever was quenched ~4 weeks ago. I am pretty sure that two dogs is my limit whilst I'm at university. Soooo... another 3 years prolly before another dog gets on this crazy train. Then I will be totally topped out XD
Yay! I'm getting a Pem, I see you have a Cardi. :) Any tips for the first 4 weeks?? I've been reading everything I can for the past few years, so I think I'm actually on info overload and don't know how to boil it down!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've had some puppy fever lately, not awful but it's definitely starting. I'm at a minimum of a year out, more realistically probably closer to 2+ years. Husband is finishing PhD next spring and there will definitely be some changes coming up. I have started researching breeds/breeders for my next dog though. Very high probability of it being a Golden Retriever puppy and if that's the case it will definitely be coming from a breeder. I've found a couple breeders that I would loooove to get a puppy from. Not 100% set on a Golden yet, still looking into some other breeds and always the chance of a mixed breed rescue. Whatever I end up with will most certainly be chosen with agility in mind.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I would stay away from ACDs then, because although there are exceptions most aren't big cuddlers, lol. Especially the females for some reason, the males are a lot more touchy feely than the females.
Getting a cuddler isn't the highest priority on my list. ;)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Yay! I'm getting a Pem, I see you have a Cardi. :) Any tips for the first 4 weeks?? I've been reading everything I can for the past few years, so I think I'm actually on info overload and don't know how to boil it down!
Your crate is your best friend. :) Lots of outside playtime and try to keep a schedule as best you can! Take advantage of the summer weather. Potty training is such a drag in the winter. Be sure to have lots of chewies on hand because otherwise.... Your carpet may fall victim. Lol.

Most importantly, take lots and lots of photos. They grow up quickly!!!!

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
I posted something in the rant thread about Frost going back to his breeder early next month. BubbaMoose responded and said 'Hey, you can get a puppy earlier!'. I didn't reply because - No.

Then one of the breeders I'd be in contact with asked permission to pass my name along to a BC breeder in a neighboring state who is trying to find homes for her only Oops litter in 2 decades. They're 3/4 BC, 1/4 ACD. ...I'm skipping agility tomorrow to go visit puppies. :/ I may be sick. ( I may also not turn up with a puppy - I ain't compromising on what I want.)

·
Registered
17,901 Posts

Here. Look at puppy pictures. That'll make everyone's puppy fever better. (I'm still not promising to come home with a puppy, though, and I'd still rather wait until at least early next year.)

·
Registered
17,901 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Omigosh, I am suffering through puppy fever with a friend who is getting a doodle (I know, I know, I tried talking her out of it!) in 3 weeks. He really is adorable.

Anyway, I won't be getting another pup for years, probably 5+ years, unless something untoward happens all of a sudden to my dogs.

Bucket list: (no particular order)
For when I'm old and decrepit: Havanese or Lowchen (or fuzzy mutt that looks similar like a shih-poo or shih-chon), or French Bulldog
Anytime in the future: black/white parti-color PWD with wavy coat ($$$$ <sigh>), Visla, Rh. Ridgeback, Tibetan Terrier... Hehe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your crate is your best friend. :) Lots of outside playtime and try to keep a schedule as best you can! Take advantage of the summer weather. Potty training is such a drag in the winter. Be sure to have lots of chewies on hand because otherwise.... Your carpet may fall victim. Lol.

Most importantly, take lots and lots of photos. They grow up quickly!!!!
Great, thank you! :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I posted something in the rant thread about Frost going back to his breeder early next month. BubbaMoose responded and said 'Hey, you can get a puppy earlier!'. I didn't reply because - No.

Then one of the breeders I'd be in contact with asked permission to pass my name along to a BC breeder in a neighboring state who is trying to find homes for her only Oops litter in 2 decades. They're 3/4 BC, 1/4 ACD. ...I'm skipping agility tomorrow to go visit puppies. :/ I may be sick. ( I may also not turn up with a puppy - I ain't compromising on what I want.)
OMG. They so cute. And possibly may be exactly what you are looking for. :O They are so adorable!!!!

However, I agree with you. Don't get one unless it's exactly what you want. Technically, I didn't /need/ to get a second dog at this time but the stars aligned with the breeder and the litter being exactly perfect. Things sometimes work themselves out. :p

@hounddawg No problem! Feel free to PM me if you have questions or want to corgi chat. :3 Don't forget to make a puppy picture thread!

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Yeah, that's exactly the thing. If this is exactly, completely, what I want then okay. If it's not, then it's not happening. I don't just want a puppy, at this point. I want the right puppy. I don't have the resources to take on a puppy because it's cute. If Frost weren't going 'home' (and I STILL feel guilty about that) then I would be looking at 5 years down the road. Since he is, I *CAN* do it sooner, if it's exactly the right puppy. If it's not exactly the right puppy and I take it anyway, I can't get the right puppy for years and years. I don't want that to happen. I know it's still going to be a gamble, because that's just what puppies are. But I want to stack the deck in my favor, and while known parentage, meeting the parents, some health testing, all help stack the deck - I absolutely need to meet and evaluate the puppies myself.

So, I am meeting, I am handling, I will play with, and get a puppy fix either way. IF one comes home or not is up to the puppies.

They're STINKING cute, though.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
CptJack I hate you for posting those pictures. ACDxBC? <3 Good luck saying no to that! Be stubborn though. Don't settle for anything less than what you really want.

GAH. I could easily get a puppy right now. There's no reason I can't except for I want to focus on agility classes and wait until Kairi is 2.. plus I have a big trip in March. If I wait.. I might be able to nab another pup from Kairi's breeder.. which is what I reallllyyy would love.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
for some reason, just knowing that I DO have a puppy on the way at some point..even though I have absolutely no clue when.. quells my puppy fever. normally, because I have a spot open in my pack, I would be out of my mind looking for a dog to fill it, but instead I'm like "eh, I got one coming eventually, I'm ok" lol. TBH I am actually preferring the wait, I have 3 dogs that are all pretty much exactly the same age, Gem and Gyp will be 3 in September and Paisley is 2.5, that's a whole lotta dog REALLY close in age. my soonest possibility of a puppy is September, I feel like that gives me a better age gap lol

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Yeah. With a real potential to end up with this pup I am rapidly developing a case of cold feet. I got a lot of dogs really fast. It was kind of nice NOT having someone new and in need to training and acclimation around. It's also been REALLY nice not having all the puppy-associated labor for the 18 months.

Ah well. I haven't committed yet.

41 - 60 of 3009 Posts