Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 3009 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I need doctor because it's so bad:

4 years at the minimum, before I actually own a dog. I might consider fostering before that, but that wouldn't be at least for 2 years.

The reason is, because I'm planning on going to college. Having a dog will just be another stressor,& a huge financial commitment .Plus the training, & exercising. A dog is a huge commitment,& I'm not sure if I could handle that commitment while I'm attending college.

Even the fostering is iffy. Even though if isn't my dog,I'm worried I wouldn't have the time to commit to the dog, or some issue will come up,& I wouldn't be able to keep fostering the dog. I'd feel horrible if something happened.

It would be a herder. Not sure which one yet. This is generally what I'm looking for in a dog

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
I'll be getting a dog or puppy sometime this next year. Possibly in just a few months but more likely winter. Pup or dog depends on a few things. Trying to avoid getting both but..... I have a feeling in the next couple years I'll end up with two new dogs. :/
Ooh, exciting! What breed/s?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had puppy fever..

..Now I'm paying for it with all the puppy problems that came with my puppy!

They better be glad they're so darn cute. ;)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
In about 4 years I'm going to hopefully start talking to ACD breeders but it may be a bit longer now. I'm going into elementary education as a major and I'm graduating HS this coming school year. I'm starting at a 2 year junior college then 2 years at university. Luckily both are 30-45 minutes from my house. My grandma has offered me to live with her during college until I can get stable....she knows and agrees with my plans. So realistically no puppy for about 5/6 years. But my mom is planning on getting a Great Dane pup soon so I will be okay :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
YAY :) I hear by extend you an early welcome to the wild roller coaster ride that is owning an ACD :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
YAY :) I hear by extend you an early welcome to the wild roller coaster ride that is owning an ACD :)
I'm defiantly ready and excited for it! I'm a little nervous but I think Mia has prepared me a little :) while she is ACD/lab she ha little to no lab characteristics so it should be interesting owning an ACD and comparing the two :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I've been wanting a second dog for YEARS. All this time I've been decided on breed (silken windhound). I have gender, age, temperament preferences. I even have some breeders in mind. It's just not the right time. I need to finish graduate school and settle into a job within my field before acquiring another critter. I want to raise the pup properly while still meeting Gypsy's demands for my attention, and I can't do that with the amount of time I have right now.

It's also likely that my husband will get a dog before I do, sometime before I graduate. He wants a dog that's HIS dog. :) He also wants to have the experience of raising a puppy and will probably do it in the within the next two years while I'm busy with school (otherwise I may take over the process, heh).

My husband and I are wholly expecting to be a 3-dog house eventually.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Ooh, exciting! What breed/s?
It really depends on how things go. At this point a 6-24 month old rescue is very likely. I am honestly getting pretty fed up with breeders and am just not finding what I like. I had one breeder lined up who is phenomenal but she's not breeding for a long time. Though there is a litter this winter I would be interested in but it may or may not happen. I was really set on a breeder until a few weeks ago and then I was turned off by communications with them. So that is frustrating.

My ideal dog is a smallish herder but neither shelties nor MAS really fit the bill. A lot of small (30ish lb) herder mixes do though.... I'd be open to BC/ACD/Aussie or x of those breeds from a shelter or rescue. I have friends involved in sheltie and BC rescue here and they are pretty good at pulling nice sports dogs. There's a McNab/BC right now that I want so bad. If I'd already moved, I'd have her. There's also a young dog that looks like a fuzzy ACD I want.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
BTW OwnedbyACDs if your puppy grows up to be anything like Gem, your puppy will be the best dog ever :p

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I would love to see pics of mia, she sounds cute :)
You probably have seen pics but didnt realize it! I call her my mini GSD haha. She looks huge but is barely knee high :) mom is known ACD and dad is known lab! She is only one so I'm hoping around 2 she fills out a bit and gets out f the leggy stage,lol.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1405277852.399432.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1405277947.018623.jpg

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm hoping a puppy is in the cards for around this time next year... but there's a lot of 'ifs' we have to get past first. IF my immigration to Norway goes through, IF we're living somewhere that will okay a second dog/pup, IF my fiancee's job can support a second dog (and/or I have some sort of income by then), and then there's the whole issue of whether I'll be going back to school...

But Sam romped with my neighbor's golden pup the other day, and he was just SO good. I was impressed! He's usually a bit of a bully, but beyond being a bit mouthy and knocking the pup down a couple times, they did so well together. And the pup kept coming back for more, so clearly Sam didn't traumatize him. I know he'd love a dog sibling...

I'm angling for a Lagotto, my fiancee wants a Leonberger some day. I really want a dog I can do anything with, and can actually compete with once we're over there, if I decide to. Sam's docked, so automatic DQ for titling in Norway. Super keen on trying scentwork with a Lagotto.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How exciting! I have 9 month old and 7 month puppies so we won't be getting any puppies for many, many years! I absolutely love my puppies though. Best decision ever!

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
It really depends on how things go. At this point a 6-24 month old rescue is very likely. I am honestly getting pretty fed up with breeders and am just not finding what I like. I had one breeder lined up who is phenomenal but she's not breeding for a long time. Though there is a litter this winter I would be interested in but it may or may not happen. I was really set on a breeder until a few weeks ago and then I was turned off by communications with them. So that is frustrating.

My ideal dog is a smallish herder but neither shelties nor MAS really fit the bill. A lot of small (30ish lb) herder mixes do though.... I'd be open to BC/ACD/Aussie or x of those breeds from a shelter or rescue. I have friends involved in sheltie and BC rescue here and they are pretty good at pulling nice sports dogs. There's a McNab/BC right now that I want so bad. If I'd already moved, I'd have her. There's also a young dog that looks like a fuzzy ACD I want.
I'm sorry to hear that you've had such negative experiences with breeders, but I can't wait to see what pup you rescue! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know I will have cold feet moments as I always do, lol. You know the usual "am I ready?" "Can I do this?" What am I thinking?!" Wah I don't want my life to change!" You know ... the usual lol.

I mean I know I *can* do it, I just am made anxious by change ... any kind of change, even change I am responsible for lol.

And heck yeah there will be pics, more pics than you guys will know what to do with ha ha.
This is how I feel right now! I'm T minus 2 weeks from bringing home a corgi puppy, and I've been waiting about 3 years for this day to come.

I'm very anxious and excited and scared! It's not helping that my BFF and my brother both got puppies recently and I'm like Ugggggh I can't wait much longer! But then I get cold feet sometimes! >.<

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Like I know I can do it and I know I am ready ... I just ... fear change, you know? When I got Josefina I actually cried some over it for the first few weeks or so because just of the change she brought into my life and the adjustments I had to make for and because of her. But once we all adjusted I couldn't imagine my life without her and now she has the potential to aid me as a SD or ESA.

So I am happy I stuck with it.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you've had such negative experiences with breeders, but I can't wait to see what pup you rescue! :)
Maybe if things work out right I'll have an adopted dog this year and a pup next year. ;)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
This is how I feel right now! I'm T minus 2 weeks from bringing home a corgi puppy, and I've been waiting about 3 years for this day to come.

I'm very anxious and excited and scared! It's not helping that my BFF and my brother both got puppies recently and I'm like Ugggggh I can't wait much longer! But then I get cold feet sometimes! >.<
Yay! Another corgi on board! It's definitely worth it. Eren is a little stinker but he's cute and fun and has a crap ton of personality.

My puppy fever was quenched ~4 weeks ago. I am pretty sure that two dogs is my limit whilst I'm at university. Soooo... another 3 years prolly before another dog gets on this crazy train. Then I will be totally topped out XD

21 - 40 of 3009 Posts