Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else has used this and has had great results? I use this every 3 days on my dog, it helps so much with the shedding and she's so soft.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just got this for my two dogs and another one for my two cats...LOVE IT! My older Husky/Lab hated having his hair groomed in any fashion previously, but he sheds like a mad man. Titus now LOVES to be groomed! He can't get enough of it.

I'm HIGHLY impressed with it's ability and it's made a huge difference in his shedding everywhere! All of my 4 pets have great results with this!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use it on Johnnie. The coat is gorgeous & she sheds just a tad not so much :) Her coat looks as if I given her a bath everyday plus it is very soft

BTW -- I read about it, & it says you're only suppose to use the furminator only once a month
This is from their website:

How often should the tool be used?
A: The tool is fine to use every day, but really not necessary. With most breeds, using the tool once or twice a week for 10-20 minutes each session will reduce shedding up to 90 percent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Both my dogs love the furminator, even though they've hated other brushes. I suspect the teeth give a nice scratching sensation, and it does indeed get rid of lots of hair and leave their coats shiny and soft. I actually use the furminator as a reward sometimes :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both my dogs love the furminator, even though they've hated other brushes. I suspect the teeth give a nice scratching sensation, and it does indeed get rid of lots of hair and leave their coats shiny and soft. I actually use the furminator as a reward sometimes :)
A reward? Never thought of that, good idea!! My dog loves it too. I love it, one of best pet inventions to date.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are definitely some other similar products out there, but I've never ever had the success in 1. Titus liking the act of being groomed by it, or 2. Getting the reduction in shedding that the Furminator provides vs the other products I've tried in the past.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Oh? When my sister brought one at the healthy pet store they told her that should be used once a month? I'll have to double check with her to make sure or/and I'll look around

This is from their website:
How often should the tool be used?
A: The tool is fine to use every day, but really not necessary. With most breeds, using the tool once or twice a week for 10-20 minutes each session will reduce shedding up to 90 percent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love the Furminator for my cats and use it once a week on them. But, I don't think it does a great job on my Lab's coat. I use a shedding blade on her instead.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I love my Furminator!! It's great for heavy-coated breeds like my Northern mixes. Even Yuki, who was a little wary of contact, would just melt when I'd brush him with the Furminator.

Willow loves it too, but I want to wait until the weather warms up before using it again... I'd hate to thin out her coat somehow right when she needs it the most. I'm not positive if it removes any hair or not, but I don't want to risk it since she spends a lot of time outdoors.

Be forewarned, though - use the Furminator OUTSIDE or somewhere easily cleaned up! :D By the time you're done, you'll think you adopted another dog!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love my Furminator!! It's great for heavy-coated breeds like my Northern mixes. Even Yuki, who was a little wary of contact, would just melt when I'd brush him with the Furminator.

Willow loves it too, but I want to wait until the weather warms up before using it again... I'd hate to thin out her coat somehow right when she needs it the most. I'm not positive if it removes any hair or not, but I don't want to risk it since she spends a lot of time outdoors.

Be forewarned, though - use the Furminator OUTSIDE or somewhere easily cleaned up! :D By the time you're done, you'll think you adopted another dog!
The first time I used it, there was a huge mess of fur everywhere, but once I started using it regularly, all I have is a small handful. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The Furminator is a great tool for huskies, labs, border collies, goldens, etc. I find it not effective on long coated breeds (does coat damage more than anything) and a rubber curry works better on the very short coated breeds like boxers, pits, dobies, etc. I disagree with their website about being "gentle enough for every day" though. It can and does cause damage to the topcoat if used too often, and can irritate the skin as well. Great tool for the right breeds, but I have found most of my clients that use it at home overuse it, causing bald spots, and coat damage. I think once a week, 10 minute sessions on most dogs more than enough to considerably reduce shedding..Be careful if you are using it more than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts