Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, here again looking for some suggestions. As I’ve previously posted, we added a second dog to the mix about at month and a half ago. Since then the dog hair has gotten under control. I wanted a second dog to play with my first but had no idea how much dirtier two dogs were than one. So anyway I let them up on the couches cause I love to cuddle with them and I do my best to confine their wrestle sessions to the floor but I’m not always successful. I have a really big couch that I currently cover with 3 queen size blankets. They are the kind with micro suede on one side and furry stuff on the other. Short of washing then all every week is there anyway I can remove the hair? I tried vacuuming and the blanket just got stuck in the vacuum. I also picked up a fur buster that basically works like a lint roller for couches. I used 3 strops to clean off some of the fur on the chase lounge before I gave up, this was only one days worth of hair because we did the vacuum thing the night before. No way am I spending that much money on non reusable strips. So we have found that a wet rag will pull the fur of but it sends it flying everywhere. Any other suggestions? How do you guys handle all that hair?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Buy leather, it brushes right off and for any that's on your clothing, it's the new fad!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really wish I had but we just got these new couches in July. Not the best forethought on my part :(

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Buy leather, it brushes right off and for any that's on your clothing, it's the new fad!
That was going to be my suggestion. Actually, mine are pleather, but it's very realistic.

What about a slipcover? Then you could just throw it in the washer every so often.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Sheets shake off outside. That is what I use if I allow the shedding dog on the furniture. They wash up better and dry faster also. You could find single top sheets in all sorts of fancy colors and designs. I also try and match up the hair to the shade ... such as white hair/ light colors ... dark hair/dark colors. Designs work the best ... it kind of blends in. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use a comforter to cover my couch because it's thicker and when they're wet it protects the couch a bit more. I don't know how well this would work on your blankets, but when I get patches of dog hair on the carpet and don't want to get the vacumn out, I use their dog brush with the metal bristles. It picks up the dog hair really well. I've also used it on the floor mats of the car. For upholstry in the car I have a lint mitt that does a really good job of getting the dog hair off the the seats, I think you can find them by the ironing stuff at WalMart.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Since I have a non-shedding dog breed I don't have to worry about that but I must say my husband sheds more than a Husky blowing its coat in summer! All I can say is when I have a house there will be nothing but wood or tiled floors and pleather sofas and chairs so I don't have to constantly drag a vacuum around.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've long ago given up on fighting hair. Of course we sweep, vacuum, etc.... but, well, just check out my signature. lol

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
For our husky hair

- We have http://www.amazon.com/Pledge-Fabric-Sweeper-Hair-sweeper/dp/B003TNA6AE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330549211&sr=8-2
It is meant to be single use however they are expensive so I got out my DH's pocket knife, cut a three sided hole in the top (left one side connected so the piece wouldn't move and actually hold hair in), covered the edges of the hole with tape (they were rough/sharp since it was cut plastic) and now I just pull out the fur balls I collect. I'm not paying $10 for something that will only work until full and then stop. Once I pull the collected fur ball out - it begins to collect again. It works really well and was worth the one time $10.
- I use IKEA lint rollers as they are cheap
- I wash the blankets anyway
- I have a brush attachment for my vacuum hose that helps prevent the blanket from being sucked up. I also get DH to hold it down.
- I vacuum, vacuum, vacuum

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The fight against dog hair....
is a losing battle!

just my two cents :) After a Great Pyrenees and now a Siberian Husky you learn to love it basically lol. Dog hair is now an accessory and a condiment (you really have to learn to basically eat Husky hair if you own one =/) No matter how much sweeping/vacuuming/mopping/dusting and brushing I do it looks no different the day after I do all of these things than it did the day before!

And Bella isn't even blowing her coat yet and she doesn't shed that much!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
is a losing battle!

just my two cents :) After a Great Pyrenees and now a Siberian Husky you learn to love it basically lol. Dog hair is now an accessory and a condiment (you really have to learn to basically eat Husky hair if you own one =/)
Amen. Before I owned a husky I would toss a cup of coffee if a hair was in it. Now if I see hair in my morning coffee I just fish it out and keep drinking. I typically fish around 5 hairs out if Misty isn't near my coffee. I got lucky today and had hair free coffee (it's a miracle!)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Amen. Before I owned a husky I would toss a cup of coffee if a hair was in it. Now if I see hair in my morning coffee I just fish it out and keep drinking. I typically fish around 5 hairs out if Misty isn't near my coffee. I got lucky today and had hair free coffee (it's a miracle!)
That's incredibly lucky!!
I sit down for dinner and when I'm done eating I see anywhere from 1-7/8 hairs laying on my plate and I go "WHERE DOES IT ALL COME FROM?!?!?" and then I look down and to my right at the dog head on my leg.

It baffles me really - as no one will pet her at dinner. So we're not sure HOW it actually gets there. I've decided that her fur has food detecting minions in it and when we're eating they detach from her and just go to the food. Hoping that we won't eat it once we find the fur...but they underestimate us! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts