Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Since we're getting into the dreaded flea and tick season again, I was hoping to get some advice from seasoned dog owners about what everyones favorites are and what products; maybe even new ones on the market that are worth trying out?

I know that a lot of it does depend on where you live in terms of what what product works best. So I'm definitely keeping that in mind.

Bit of background, we currently live in Southern Wisconsin. We're more walking trails, local parks, dog park type of people as oppose to wondering through the woods on a daily/ weekly bases. Although he does go to doggy daycare on a regular bases.

I have the 'vet's best flea and tick' spray just as an added defense for high pet traffic areas inside the house. My indoor house cat is on 'advantage II'. So now, I'm trying to do some research to see what I should get my new dog started on. He's currently on a trial of nexguard from the vets recommendation, but I do want to shop around, so to speak.

I had originally heard that frontline plus was a good option, however that it seemed to be losing potency for some pet owners. I was also almost sold on Advantix, but I do have a cat, and although he hates the dog right now, I'm hoping they will be snuggly up eventually haha. My colleague had recommended the seresto collar since it has worked well for her German Shepherd. So I was going to give that a shot, plus the price doesn't seem to hurt as much either.

Was wondering if anyone had any other favorites that I should do some research on? Or if anyone had any notable experiences with nexguard/ advantix or the seresto collar?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah Sorry!

I thought I had started this in the health questions section; I can't work out how to delete this; please feel free to move this!

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
K9 Advantix II is toxic to cats, if applied or ingested. But if K9 Advantix II is applied to a dog, it's ok around cats once it's dry. The real issue is if the cat grooms your dog while the K9 Advantix II is still wet. I believe most people just separate their cats and dogs when applying flea and tick spot ons to prevent accidental ingestion. For spot ons, I like K9 Advantix II or Tevrapet Activate II. Tevrapet Activate II is a generic version of K9 Advantix II and it was created by the same Vet who invented K9 Advantix II. Currently, I'm trying out the Seresto collars. So far they're working well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K9 Advantix II is toxic to cats, if applied or ingested. But if K9 Advantix II is applied to a dog, it's ok around cats once it's dry. The real issue is if the cat grooms your dog while the K9 Advantix II is still wet. I believe most people just separate their cats and dogs when applying flea and tick spot ons to prevent accidental ingestion. For spot ons, I like K9 Advantix II or Tevrapet Activate II. Tevrapet Activate II is a generic version of K9 Advantix II and it was created by the same Vet who invented K9 Advantix II. Currently, I'm trying out the Seresto collars. So far they're working well.
Ah that's great! I hadn't heard of Activate II before but would definitely look into it as an option as well.
I think I'm going to give the Seresto collar a try. Seems like it's the best option with a cat in the house and how long the collar lasts for... I am a little worried about side effects I've read about. But then I guess every option is going to have that; it's all chemicals after all...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to be using Effitix Plus, it contains the active ingredient of Frontline, and Permethrin, with a insect growth inhibitor. What I like about the idea of this product is that both the frontline chemical and permethrin both kill ticks and fleas. The permethrin also helps to repel flea, ticks, mosquitos. So I am trying this out. I hope it works better then Frontline Plus which years ago work amazingly, never saw a flea or tick, though my dog did end up getting lyme disease and had to be put to sleep. I am hoping that this product will work even better, but time will tell. I have also gotten my new dog the lyme vaccine. This is war on ticks! Both for Dogs and Humans, too many Dogs and Humans are getting ill with life long problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi!

Just wanted to give a quick update!

I gave the seresto collar a go and so far it's been working great! :)

Again, as a disclaimer we are not the hiking duo haha, so my dog's exposure to the outdoor is only from daily walks, daycare and dog parks. Not really any super heavy tick areas. (we also live in Wisconsin.)

It's not the most attractive to look at, but seems to be doing a pretty good job!

We're almost 3 months in, think it should last through all of spring/ summer for $54 from petco. So thumbs up option if your in a bit of a financial bind; but maybe do some local research on if it has a high success rate around where you live.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts