Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would mean the end of the mutt.

would this be preferable to you?

(I'm playing devil's advocate here. To be clear, I am strictly rescue. I don't purchase pets from pet stores, mills, BYB's or reputable breeders.)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts

would this be preferable to you?

(I'm playing devil's advocate here. To be clear, I am strictly rescue. I don't purchase pets from pet stores, mills, BYB's or reputable breeders.)
IMHO........ I personally do not think that not having the BYB would make any difference as for "the end of the mutt"......just because there will always be humans.....and there will also be irresponsible humans who do not spay or neuter their pets and allow them to run loose and breed anyways. :)

EDIT: I rescue also :) :) :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I don't think most mutts come from BYBs (however you're defining that). Unless you count crossbreeds as mutts (I don't; to me a mutt is a dog of indeterminate ancestry, not a first-generation cross). Mutts usually come from accidental litters. And no matter how hard we try, I don't think we can put an end to that (although it can be minimized). Even people have accidental babies :p.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I dont beleive it would be the end of the mutt, but then "cross breeding" is not included in my defintion of a BYB lol. plus there will always be outcrosses to other breeds among working dogs, plus strays still happen, irrisponsable owners loose thei dog and it comes home pregnant, abandoned dogs that some nice person rescues and the dog turned ou to be preggers etc..

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
There will always be unintentional breedings - unspayed pet or stray. I define a backyard breeder as someone who breeds unethically (encompasses any of a number of factors) and usually for profit, so even if BYBs disappeared tomorrow, we'd still have mutts.

If no BYBs translates to no mutts, which somehow translates to all dogs having a home, then I'm all for the end of mutts. But it is more complex than that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always considered mutts to be anything thats mixed. Like a chweenie, or a labradoodle, cockapoo, anything thats a mix. I always thought that a purebred was a an animals that strove to have all the physical and behaviour characteristics specific to that breed, where as mixed breeds where either a)accidents or b)"designer" dogs.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Are you suggesting that dogs need humans to facilitate their procreation? I'm confident the dogs would find a way without our help. Dogs are nothing, if not problem solvers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm going to be very general - there are 'backyard' breeders (IE not professional breeders) who are responsible and skilled breeders (lets not mince words here) so what follows isn't about that fraction of BYBers:

Backyard breeders are almost always breeding for the money. The most profitable dogs are purebreds and 'designer dogs'. So they breed in-demand designer dogs or low quality purebreds (or unpure 'purebreds' and sell them as 'purebreds'). Mutts, unless they are a current fad designer dog, don't sell for a heck of a lot.

Seems to me that the end of irresponsible BYBers would be more the end of poorly bred purebreds and the sad overpopulation of fad-driven designer dogs than it would be the end of mutts. Mutts will never be prevented, thank goodness :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
There are some AWESOME mixed breed dog breeders out there who I would go to in an instant if I wasn't so into Aussies. So no getting rid of "for profit" breeders would not be the end of the mutt.

·
Super Moderator
11,729 Posts
Just the oops litters mentioned on this forum alone would keep all of us supplied with mutts forever.

In my limited experience, BYBs are normally selling purebreds - often AKC, though not necessarily fine representatives of the breed. I don't think many are intentionally breeding mutts.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The logic used in the question is erroneous. Many BYB breed purebred dogs some breed fancy mutts. Most mutts tend to come from strays or random accidental litters from ignorant or under educated people. The end of BYB would certainly not be the end of mutts.

·
Registered
262 Posts
WheatenDaneMom you read my mind...I think the problem is educating a public that goes for the "next great fad", whether it be "designer" dogs (a misnomer if ever there was one) or Coach purses - lots of $$ to be made from people's need to be "cool".

That being said, Ziggy is a "shorkie" rescue, so how critical can I be?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The logic used in the question is erroneous. Many BYB breed purebred dogs some breed fancy mutts. Most mutts tend to come from strays or random accidental litters from ignorant or under educated people. The end of BYB would certainly not be the end of mutts.
This.

If we got rid of BYB, then maybe we'd see fewer less than perfect examples of a purebred, maybe, but mutts usually happen on their own. A stray German shepherd dog isn't going to ask a bitch in heat for her papers to prove her credentials as another GS, for example, because he doesn't care. Mutts tend to happen from strays or "oops" litters if a dog gets away or something.

I love mutts though, I have 2 right now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
'backyard' breeders (IE not professional breeders)
Backyard breeders are almost always breeding for the money.
As opposed to "professional breeders"? I get what you're saying but that just made me laugh :p

And back on the original topic:
Even if we managed to prevent all accidental litters and all BYB's from breeding "designer dogs" it's not like it would be a forever and permanent "extinction" type thing anyways. "The end of mutts" sounds so solemn and permanent, but all it takes to get new mutts is to throw a few purebreds together and see what comes out. So, if we ever find a shortage of mutts in the world, I'm pretty sure we'll think of a solution to the problem...unless we all get idiocracy style stupid (I'm not ruling that out, it's actually pretty likely).

·
Registered
948 Posts
huh?
Mutts are born when dogs take the initiative to reproduce, without human intervention.

If you mean the end of unregulated intentional canine inter-breed reproduction for profit, then I have to ask, what specifically about it do you find bothersome?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts