Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love the Dog Whisperer. Fortunately, I am the Alpha with my dog. What I really need is the Child Whisperer. :D

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
personally, i think that Cesar Milan is a "crock".....he has an inflated ego and thinks he "is the Dog Whisperer"....he doesn't know anymore about dogs than anyone else that has taken the time to really get to know how a dog "works"....

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
personally, i think that Cesar Milan is a "crock".....he has an inflated ego and thinks he "is the Dog Whisperer"....he doesn't know anymore about dogs than anyone else that has taken the time to really get to know how a dog "works"....
You gotta love Marketing departments LOL You gotta have a "hook" to reel in those viewers and "Guy who knows as much about dogs as anyone else" just doesn't have a ring to it LOL

Actually, I think what he does is obvious to dog people. And by dog people, I mean those of us who have spent the time to watch, listen and learn about dogs first hand. We *really* live with our dogs (and usually it's the people who live with multiple dogs) so what is common sense to us, because its our every day life, isn't common sense to most people. I am alway amazed at the dog owners who come through our boarding kennel that don't have the slightest clue or inkling about even basic dog behavior. Things that are like "well, duh" to me are brilliant revelations to them.

I think Cesar is good with dogs AND good with people - something you don't always find in "dog people." Usually, we are much better dealing with animals :p So, he's successful at re-training the humans to correct behavior problems in dogs...which is usually all that needs to be done first and formost.

I don't agree with every method he uses in each case, but then again the only thing you can get two dog trainers to agree on is that the third one is doing it all wrong LOL. I do like his mantra of Exercise, Discipline, Affection - if more dog owners took this to heart, I think there'd be a lot fewer problems. That, and recognizing that a dog isn't a human being...and treating it as a human and not as a dog does a great disservice to the dog and invites a myriad of problems.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I also believe that his success stems with his ability to work with both the dog and the owner. He has excellent communication skills. Of course, those of us who work/live with dogs every day and take the time to learn about them have many of the same skills in "reading" a dog's signal. But the average dog owner out there does not take the time or have the knowledge.

I don't agree with all of his methods. But he has some valid points. Before introducing two dogs, take them both out on very long walks so they are tired. If you expect good behavior from your dogs then you need to exercise, discipline, and then provide affection...in that order. I have found good success with shelter dogs that I work with using his nylon leash walking method, since we are not allowed to use choke collars (and I'm talking about large breed adult dogs that have been tied up in a backyard for years, have no idea about leash behavior, our director thinks choke chains give patrons a bad impression of dog behavior). And most importantly I try to always approach a situation, especially one where the dog is unpredictable, with a calm, assertive manner. I also believe that a dog will always be a dog and to humanize them is a horrible thing to do to an animal.

That being said, I don't always agree on some of his techniques. But he has a few good ideas and he appeals to the general public. The problem I see with his show is that many uneducated dog owners will use the show as the only means of training their dogs and never seek the help of an obedience class or a professional trainer. They could, in fact, end up with worse problems than they started with.

Oh, and what I really need right now is a teenager whisperer...

·
Registered
112 Posts
You know, I have been trying to find a nice concise way to describe how I feel about him. You have found it for me tirluc, thank you.

I would sooner put live ants in my ears than refer to him as a "dog whisperer", or even a behavioralist...or even a "rehabilitator" as his minions so often chant...

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I think it was meant as a joke people-.. Not to discuss him but what other whisperer do you need.. Thank God I am past the teen whisperer.. lol..

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Love Ceasar-he may know just as much as some other hard working dog trainers and thats ok he really seems to know some good helpful techniques. Plus he makes me laugh.

Now what I need is a "Tantrum Throwing 4 yr old Boy WHisperer":confused: UUUgggggh.

Cant even begin tell you how many establisments we had to make a quick blot towards the nearest exit so as not to disturb the whole place:eek:

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I'm all about the Teenager Whisperer. I'm a high school teacher and I gotta tell you that working with my sophomores is way harder than working with my shelter dogs.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
FilleBelle - what subject do you teach? I want to teach high school English when I get older. :)

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Cassie - English, actually! Last year was my first year. I had one period of seniors, two periods of English Language Development, and two periods of sophomores. It was hellishly difficult. This year should go a lot more smoothly.

Feel free to PM me if you want!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I need an In-Laws Whisperer, stat!

(Do you think saying shhht and "biting" them with my hand will work, or should I go for the choke collar?)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
IMO, I really like alot of Cesar's methods. But, I have never yet fully agreed with ANY behaviorist/trainer. There are alot of things that Cesar does that are way to harsh IMO, and I have never seen him give praise. What's that all about??

·
Registered
166 Posts
I need an In-Laws Whisperer, stat!

(Do you think saying shhht and "biting" them with my hand will work, or should I go for the choke collar?)
Go right for the choke collar, I'd also suggest getting them a remote ;)

I like Ceasar, not for his training but because his program is interesting. I used to watch Barbera Woodhouse (?) and that guy on Canine U, I take their opinions with a grain of salt, every trainer does things differently and as an educated owner you have to form your on opinion. I must admit I like Victoria Stillwell's "its me or the dog", I think she's brilliant and molds her training around the dog vs simply saying "I must be dominant!". To a point I'd agree with dominant breeds but you know what, I doubt my boston is being dominant :rolleyes: Maybe a little crazy/hyper but I laughed at my sister who told me how 'dominant' she was when she put her in an alpha roll over. (you gotta love teens and there ideas that they watch tv so now THEY are dog whisperers lol!)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Cassie - English, actually! Last year was my first year. I had one period of seniors, two periods of English Language Development, and two periods of sophomores. It was hellishly difficult. This year should go a lot more smoothly.

Feel free to PM me if you want!
Wow, that's great!! Thanks so much. I will PM you. :D

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
FilleBelle - what subject do you teach? I want to teach high school English when I get older. :)
Ok what up with that? I just need to know, what makes you want to teach High schoolers??
When I was a high schooler I didnt even want to be in the room with some of those kids. Nobody had much respect for most of the teachers.

Could you help me understand the reason for teachers wanting to teach such students?

and I have never seen him give praise. What's that all about??
I think it might have something to do with the wolf pack way of training. The alpha wolf doesnt praise so he doesnt praise. Well thats just my guess.

I used to think this way was a good way of training (wolf like). But now I know dogs are not wolves, dog packs act differently then wolf packs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts