Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

The dog went to the rainbow bridge, how to survive it.

1K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  alex3000 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm a foreigner, I'm trying to write in English. I would like to discuss with you how to survive the death beloved dog. She passed away at the age of 15, from metastatic cancer. At 13.5 years old, she had a primary tumor removed, and after that she lived for a year and a half, and then died. I am very hard mentally, for 5 months continuously flowing tears. I read that departed dogs can, like people, reincarnate into puppies. But what really happens after death - alas, no one knows. Maybe someone knows how to ease the symptoms of grief . Write, I will wait for messages
Breed of dog-half-breed pit bull
I miss her very much:cry:

#3 ·
I've lost three great dogs since I first joined this community and I found it very helpful to post their stories on the Pet Memorial section of this forum.

I'm sorry for your loss. I still mourn every dog I've ever lost, but it does get easier.
Thank you for your support. It is very difficult to lose pets. I read it. that the church does not pray for the repose of animals. But how then to find contact with God, to ask him to take care of the further fate of the dog, is also unclear

#4 · (Edited)
I am very sorry for your loss. I understand the pain of losing a dog friend, I am tearing as I write this. You are not alone and there is nothing wrong feeling the way you do. Everyone has their own way to deal with things such as this. For me, I still shed tears for my girl I lost at almost 15 years old in March 2020. But it did get better.

Your friend lived a good life of 15 years and I'm pretty sure she was a happy girl and well loved. It's obvious. 15 years is a long time to develop a strong relationship, I understand. Please take the time you need to grieve and don't worry about how you're feeling.

I find it took a while to remember her good times, but once I got those memories into my head, I could think about her with a smile on my face. Maybe if you have pictures of good times, it may help to review them when you have a chance alone to reflect.

But don't be concerned about your reaction and feelings, there's no right or wrong way to handle this and even though greivance takes longer for some than others, it's completely normal to go at your own pace and get it all out.

Hugs and it will get better for you.

Edit: No one can tell you what happens after death, and generally I try not to wonder. I still feel her presence somehow around me, I know she made me who I am today, so her influence lives on through me.

#6 ·
I am very sorry for your loss. I understand the pain of losing a dog friend, I am tearing as I write this. You are not alone and there is nothing wrong feeling the way you do. Everyone has their own way to deal with things such as this. For me, I still shed tears for my girl I lost at almost 15 years old in March 2020. But it did get better.

Edit: No one can tell you what happens after death, and generally I try not to wonder. I still feel her presence somehow around me, I know she made me who I am today, so her influence lives on through me.
Thank you! I will also add that I am constantly tormented by a sense of guilt. Here is an example. At 14.5 years old, my baby began to have heart problems, took her to the vet, he gave her injections-dexamethasone, sulfocamphocaine and added that to support the body, she should be given injections of aloe. We agreed, and she was treated. And then I read in the network with horror that aloe causes the growth of all cells, including cancer cells. Now I'm worried about why we gave her aloe.It may have caused the primary tumor to metastasize. Although I asked the oncologists, they said no... I don't really know who to believe. Well, the tumor itself should have been removed when it was the size of a pea, and we dread anesthesia for an old dog.

#5 ·
I'm so sorry. I've lost more pets than I care to think about over the years, including the best dog I've ever owned (at only 7 years, due to hemangiosarcoma). You just keep breathing. You just keep going for one more day. Eventually, the breathing and keeping going get easier.

There is a blog post that is an imagined conversation between an aging dog and her owner about what happens after a pet dies. I found it comforting. Molecular Redistribution ~ Denise Fenzi's Blog

Reactions: share3 and alex3000
#7 ·
I'm so sorry. I've lost more pets than I care to think about over the years, including the best dog I've ever owned (at only 7 years, due to hemangiosarcoma). You just keep breathing. You just keep going for one more day. Eventually, the breathing and keeping going get easier.

There is a blog post that is an imagined conversation between an aging dog and her owner about what happens after a pet dies. I found it comforting. Molecular Redistribution ~ Denise Fenzi's Blog
After such heavy blows of fate, sometimes you wonder whether it is worth having pets... I was advised to turn to a psychic, supposedly he can reincarnate the soul of a dog in a puppy. In my opinion, it looks like quackery.

#8 ·
I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's hard to have questions, to second guess yourself. It feels awful to believe you could have done something - or not done something - and things would be different. But you did the best you could with the information you had, and that's all anyone could ask for. Remember the good times you had with her, the love you shared, the beautiful life you gave her. Believe that the doctors were offering the treatment they thought was best, and that they have so much more education and knowledge of the benefits and risks of each option than most of the people posting sensationalized articles online.

I would urge you not to go to this psychic, because I worry that if the new puppy is in any way different from your old girl, you'll have to go through all this pain and grief again. Only this time, there's a puppy who needs you and doesn't understand that she isn't being who she was supposed to be. Absolutely take time to grieve, but try to do so with the goal to be able to move forward. Not to forget, not even to stop feeling the pain, but just to be able to remember her for her whole, amazing life with you again, and not just the bad parts at the end.

I believe our lost loved ones live on, in our memories, in what they taught us, in the impact they had on our lives. It's okay that you might not have that exact relationship with a dog - or any pet, or any living being - again, because just because you won't have her again doesn't mean you won't have something else some day that's different, but just as beautiful and brings you just as much joy.

#16 ·
It's okay that you might not have that exact relationship with a dog - or any pet, or any living being - again, because just because you won't have her again doesn't mean you won't
Even at the thought of having a puppy, I felt a very heavy feeling, as if I was betraying my little girl, who was gone forever. She had been very jealous all her life. And I think she's watching me from heaven right now and won't give me permission to take a new puppy

#10 ·
It is always hard to lose a beloved dog or cat. It just is.

Once, when I was quite young, I asked my Priest (I am Episcopal) if my pets would go to Heaven. My priest turned to me and wisely told me that God would not want to have only human souls in heaven. He would want the souls of pets there too because they give love with no conditions, just like God does.

Just thought I would share that. Always think of it and it makes me feel a little better.

#15 ·
It is always hard to lose a beloved dog or cat. It just is.

Once, when I was quite young, I asked my Priest (I am Episcopal) if my pets would go to Heaven. My priest turned to me and wisely told me that God would not want to have only human souls in heaven. He would want the souls of pets there too because they give love with no conditions, just like God does.

Just thought I would share that. Always think of it and it makes me feel a little better.
The trouble is that in Orthodoxy, for example, you can not pray for the repose of animals. Then I wrote a prayer, not for her repose, but for the Saint to take care of her fate. And I went to the temple and prayed there. Sometimes I go there now

#13 ·
I don't believe in an afterlife myself, but I do believe that love is timeless. Those who we love, and who love us, inspire us to live better, and we put that back out into the world. Dogs are especially pure-hearted and loving creatures and thus make a huge contribution to the net joy and happiness on this planet. That contribution doesn't stop just because they've passed away...it's like ripples in a pond or air currents.

Last summer and the year before that I lost two dogs who had been with me for a long time (one lived to be 17 and I'd had her since she was an adolescent). Not to be melodramatic, but I really felt like I had lost a limb or something. A few things that helped me were writing down my experiences with them, descriptions of them, lots of sensory details, so I have that to go back to and keep my memories of them vivid. I hate the thought of forgetting, but I also don't want to dwell, so having that written down is a comfort. Another thing was doing something kind as a memorial - they were both adopted, so I financially sponsored shelter mutts in their memories. Thirdly was getting another dog...that was a bit of a mixed bag, because I feel like I might have gotten Jet too soon, as I was both super overprotective about his health and safety, and also he had a lot (unfairly) to live up to...but it did fill the missing "space" in my household and now we're doing great together.

#17 ·
I have lost several dogs over the years and it never got easier. I remember one time, after losing one dog shortly after my parents passed away, I asked my wife why we felt worse losing the dog than my parents. It seemed to make no sense but after discussing it we realized that, in most cases, when a dog has to be put down we are making that decision without any input from the dog. It is one of the only times most of us will make that one sided life or death decision. There is some guilt that comes along with that decision. Combine that with our love of the dog and it can be very traumatic as many of us who have lost dogs know. I have also found that dog owners who feel this way have almost always given their dog a good life and that alone says a lot and they should not feel guilty. As for psychics I never thought my dogs would want me to go that route. o_O.

#18 ·
Unfortunately, there are often thoughts of suicide. It's like a way to get rid of a lot of heartache. Because the pills don't help

As for the euthanasia, we did not do it. On the contrary, they fought for her life all summer. As a result, we lost the fight

#19 ·
It sounds like making you happy was important to her. Even if she was jealous of other dogs while she was physically with you, she'd want you to have joy in your life again.

Here are some resources such as hotlines and support groups for grief over the loss of pets. You might find them helpful, especially on very rough days:

#20 ·
It sounds like making you happy was important to her. Even if she was jealous of other dogs while she was physically with you, she'd want you to have joy in your life again.
Today we have very cold, the frost is under -40 degrees. And I can imagine-I worry about that. that she was cold in her grave. And there are often thoughts about where she is now now. Maybe on the Rainbow Bridge. Or on the Hunting Fields. Or maybe her soul has been in another body for a long time. Anyway, she sometimes comes to me in my dreams. Recently, I cried all evening, remembering our walks with her, and at night she came to me in a dream, and for a long time, we walked a lot and played together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.