Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes people don't like me. (I can't imagine why.) But, in general, dogs love me.

Esther didn't really like anybody when she first came to live with us. She just pretended to like us at the shelter so we'd spring her. It took about six months before she became genuinely fond of her new family.

But the only dog I can think of in recent memory that really appeared to hate me belonged to my sister-in-law. She was visiting for 2-3 months and brought her little dog with her. It was (probably still is) a Maltipoo or some kind of poo.

Every time I'd walk into the room, the dog would growl at me. He'd growl at Esther sometimes, too, which is a definite sign of a loose screw. He'd go outside in the morning, then come back in and immediately crap in front of the bathroom door, so I'd have to really watch my step after my morning shower. He'd get under our bed and then growl at me when I'd try to get into bed or extricate him and return him to some better location - which was anywhere not under our bed.

At first, I gave him no reason to dislike me. After while, he probably sensed that it was mutual, though I never raised my voice (it would have been like yelling at a mushroom - an angry white mushroom with teeth.)

My sister-in-law (who I like well-enough when she is not with her dog) arrived with a one-way ticket and showed no sign of ever going home, so I went on line and bought her a return ticket with SouthWest - the only airline with service to her home state that would actually allow the dog to ride in the cabin in a carry-on.

My wife drove them to the airport and then called me and said, "Bad news. They wouldn't take the dog, so he's coming home with us."

I didn't think it was funny at all.

I've been bitten just once that I can recall and I liked the dog that bit me a whole lot better than this one.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
My grandfather found a chihuahua probably 60 years ago starving in the rain. He took it home, nursed it back to health and that dog proceeded to hate him for the next 10 years. And my grandpa was positive only even way back then. I guess not everyone going to like everyone, huh?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I knew an old war dog when I was a 6 year old kid ... it liked me. It hated everyone else.

Where as my friends Doxie chased me out of the back yard gate to a fence ... and as I jumped on to my bicycle with a torn shirt from getting caught on the fence ... that dog hung on to my bare leg a good block as I was speeding away! Lol! I still have the teeth marks ... and I bet that dog had some road rash.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have nothing in particular against small dogs. My mother had a shih tzu for years that was an absolute sweetheart and a great comfort to my mother when my father died.

But I honestly think my SIL's dog did not have enough room in his tiny head for an actual brain.

He was probably under considerable stress from his journey and the unfamiliar surroundings. It's possible he had been abused by a male at some point. He may have been dropped on his head as a pup.

But I have never encountered a dog I couldn't win over and it was disheartening.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I have a dog at work right now that is a total anus for me, but no one else. He's a nice Boxer mix, and I say he's nice because I've seen him interact with every one else and other dogs. He's hell on wheels for me and has nipped me or attempted to several times in our interactions. I can't wait for him to be adopted I have to say. The displeasure is mutual at this point, but I will try to make him love me. I'm used to the dogs every one else hates liking me for no obvious reasons.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Several years ago I accidently got a job delivering pizza ( my daughter talked me into it ). I had never had a problem with any dog EVER till then . One little yorkie at a house used to lift its leg and pee on my foot every time I went to thier house and the owner thought it quite funny.... me not so much.
Another guy had a huge old yellow mutt who he told me was "no problem " about 5 seconds before he tackled me to the ground and took a chunk out of my ummm....upper thigh. I couldnt sit for a week. Another customer had 9, yes NINE great danes in her house and one tiny chihuaha. The danes were no problem but that chihuaha wanted to eat me ( and the pizza ). I always put the pizza between me and any dog when going up to a house prepared to sacrifice the pizza and RUN if needed. I can sooo totally relate to people like the postman now !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts