Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the dog that ate the frog Tuesday night. Wednesday night she ate a bunch of dead grass (just mowed yesterday). This morning she is very sleepy, calm, etc. In otherwords, she is not herself. She did eat all right but usually she runs upstairs and wants to be on top of us while the other dog is eating her food. Today she just came in our room and laid down on the doggy bed. I left around 7 a.m. and so did my husband. Daughter came home at ten and said she was kind of excited at first but then from then on she seems sad, sleepy, just not herself. She is a puppy so she usually is very bouncy. I have a vet appointment in less than a hour. Maybe it is a sick stomach but we are taking her out of town tomorrow and am a little leary. Do you think we are "jumping the gun" and taking her too quickly?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I think you are right by taking her to the vet immediately. Some frogs and toads are highly toxic.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think you are most certainly doing the right thing. Not just because of the frog but also the grass. Crass clippings until fully dry are toxic to horses because they ferment, I'm assuming the same could be said for dogs. Also the grass could have been treated with something toxic.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. We just got back. She had her anal glands squeezed (I guess she is going to be one of those dogs) and then he gave me a name for what she had and basically it was that she ate something in the yard that was probably dead and it went against her. He thought it was the early stages and if we had waited she would have had diarreha. I asked if we could have just given her pepto bismol (used to do that with other dogs) and he said now they put asperin in it and it could have caused bloody diarreha. Maybe we went too quick but I was worried about that frog and of course her glands business. I wondered about it the other day when she scooted on the ground. She was sleepy in the car until she heard a motorcycle and barked at that. Stopped at Sonic on the way home. Now she is laying on a chair fast asleep. Still unusual for her. She is usually barking at every noise. Oh, they did give her pills which we are to give her twice a day.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Glad you took her in. Sounds like she'll be doing much better soon.

On another note, I just realized that Clayton has the same octopus toy that is shown in your signature in the second from the left picture. Kind of funny.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The octopus is a Ty dog toy. Our dogs love them.

Cuddles just had her second pill tonight.

At least I got to weigh her. The little porky is now 8.6 pounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts