Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got two cats, Hemi and Ollie, as well as our puppy Caeda. Hemi turns into quite the hunter in the summer time. Shrews, mice, birds. She used to bring them into the house at night and eviscerate them, leaving a thoroughly cleaned heart, liver or lungs for us on the bathroom floor (sometimes the carcasses never surfaced!). We've been told that cats do this to their owners and pretty much think they are bringing presents to them....weird, kinda gross but ok.

Now we have Caeda. Twice now Hemi has brought LIVE birds in to Caeda and dropped them in front of her. We did manage to save one beaten up, slobber covered little bird, but the second didn't fare so well. Yesterday morning we woke up and were greeted with a heart next to the bed. No corpse. In the afternoon after work I got home and saw Caeda digging at the corner of her crate. I went and had a look. Somehow Hemi had managed to jam the mouse carcass underneath the crate in that corner (ewwww!). So, it is starting to look like the cat worships DoG. LOL

Its too bad, Caeda is still being too rough with Hemi for them to play together (and Ollie stays well out of the way at all times). Hemi was so curious about her at first, and used to drink out of Caeda's water dish with her. She seems scared of Caeda yet she is giving these "gifts". Uuugh, the Animal House!

Anybody else with cats and dogs have a situation like this? It is kind of funny, but I'm not wild about these extra "treats" Caeda might be getting lol.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
A friend of mine had a couple of cats. When she got their puppy, the "hunter" cat would bring the dog dead things. I guess it's not so much of a "gift" as the cat trying to teach the dog (or person) how to hunt....just like they would with their kittens.
Kinda cute....really gross...but still cute in a way. LOL

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Not quite, but Charlotte and our cat, Spore, often hunt mice and other small animals together. I think to Charlotte, it's like a hunting party type deal and she'll try to work as a team with Spore to kill these animals, where as Spore, being a typical cat, almost get's annoyed with Charlotte but tolerates her "help" because he's to focused on his prey to really care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts