Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I walk my dog, sometimes he suddenly starts growling, jumping and biting at me. this mainly happens when we're crossing grass and I have to hold him still until he calms down to avoid getting hurt. Lately I've been handling this better since it's happened a few times, but I'm not sure if this is aggression or rough play. it happens without warning, even when he's really calm, and it only happens once in a while. Can somebody tell me if he's acting aggressive or playing and how to stop it? Right now I can control him, but I'm worried that if we don't change this behaviour, when he's fully grown I won't be able to stop him.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Aidan has done this for several months. He is playing. I bought a can of Pet Corrector, which is compressed air. I spray it quickly, one short time, into the air away from the dog. He stops. Now all I have to do is hiss and he stops.

A woman at dog school got one for her lab puppy, who is about 8 months old. It works with him, too.

Other than that, when Aidan did it again when my teenager was holding the leash, I told him to sit down. I was too far away to hiss, and the Pet Corrector was in the house. My son's hiss did not work. Aidan lost interest in the game when my son sat, and our walk resumed.

When he squatted down, Aidan didn't stop, btw. Son's butt had to be on the ground, for some reason.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I'll try that. The first time he did it, it scared me because I didn't know what to do and got hurt. Now I can control him when he does it, but I'll try the pet corrector and see if it helps.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well at 4.5 months I'm gonna say that he is a baby and is playing. Pups can explode all of a sudden into a "play with me" mode. I would be getting him to a puppy class because you are correct without some work he will be a handful to handle.

He's probably a good sized pup if the mix is correct so learning how to handle him is important.

Keep one thought, info online may work on whatever dog the poster owns but that's no guarantee it will work with yours. Does not mean it's bad info, it just means your dog is different and other methods may be needed.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
It's play, but I recommend that you put it on cue. My Lab mix still does this, but I taught him excellent Bite Inhibition, plus he won't do this with other people. And, if he gets too energetic, I can still yelp to calm him..... But, I imagine that you don't look forward to wrestling and running with a 70 lb dog!

However, if you understand ho to make him learn and follow your rules, I don't see a problem with it. Otherwise, stop it before he doubles in size! Sometimes a solid "Sit!" is enough.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Keep one thought, info online may work on whatever dog the poster owns but that's no guarantee it will work with yours. Does not mean it's bad info, it just means your dog is different and other methods may be needed.
I agree. I tried other methods with Aidan, and they did not work, although for every other dog I know except for that one Lab, they do.

The Pet Corrector (rarely used since my hissing is effective) is like a miracle to me, because it does work. I think it gets Aidan's attention whereas my commands just fade into background noise when he's riled up (playfully) or distracted.

I worry about falling when Aidan vigorously jumps on me or pulls me down the slope to the car. Plus when he jumps around like that he nips me, which because I take a blood thinner, leaves big bruises on my arms and hands. He's very strong, compared to me anyway.

His behavior has improved so much that the trainers and other people at dog school cannot believe it. Mind you, he knows all the commands ... he just has a line he crosses when he gets excited, and the commands do not work without hissing.

He was the worst behaved dog in 16 weeks of obedience classes, until the hissing worked to bring him back to his senses. Finally, people believe me when I say Aidan knows this stuff. I was pretty sure they thought I was taking him to class, and then not working with him between classes. Last week, I put him through his paces in front of everyone and he did everything right away! Everyone commented on it; they were amazed. Will it work next week? Who knows.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I worry about falling when Aidan vigorously jumps on me or pulls me down the slope to the car. Plus when he jumps around like that he nips me, which because I take a blood thinner, leaves big bruises on my arms and hands. He's very strong, compared to me anyway.
Hey you pull out of the dog training tool bag that which will help you survive the wild woolly dog adventures. If you get hurt etc who's gonna feed/care for the rascal.

Last week, I put him through his paces in front of everyone and he did everything right away! Everyone commented on it; they were amazed. Will it work next week? Who knows.
That is the world of dog training, none of us knows if it will work next week. But when it works it draws us in more.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My dog was also guilty for a long time (and very randomly now).

It's hard to stop, so observe his behaviors right before he starts it. Mine will lag a bit, turn his head around and look at me. Just pick up his signals and stop him from starting.

But yeah, good luck. That was not a fun issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts