Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
When we were raising Scotties, a friend who had one phoned us up all frantic. Their Scottie was going nuts pawing at the sides of his face. They had taken him into the Vet and he couldn't find anything. We went over, pretty well knowing what it was. We opened up his mouth and he had a branch of a rose bush jammed across the roof his his mouth. Because of the color of it, it would have been hard to see if you didn't know what you were looking for but as it is fairly common, the Vet should have found it.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
The determine the danger of things like sticks you have to consider the relative danger. The number of injuries caused by sticks relative to the number of instances of dogs playing with sticks.

By this measure the danger of playing with sticks is statistically insignificant.
the fact of the matter is, KaseyT, is that it can happen....so, w/ so many other things for them to play w/ that are much safer, why take that chance?.....my dogs lives are much more important to me than taking stupid chances.....and if someone had told me about something like that happening to their dog Lacey would not have been playing w/ the stick to begin w/....

·
Banned
894 Posts
the fact of the matter is, KaseyT, is that it can happen....so, w/ so many other things for them to play w/ that are much safer, why take that chance?.....my dogs lives are much more important to me than taking stupid chances.....and if someone had told me about something like that happening to their dog Lacey would not have been playing w/ the stick to begin w/....
Actually most toys are less safe if the dog can rip them apart. Far more dogs get obstructions from toys or pieces of toys then for stick related injuries.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
and you know this how?.....do you have stats to back this up?....unless you were to go thru a vast majority of vets and do a research, you can't determine that....no, i can't (won't?) put my dogs in a plastic bubble to keep them safe but when i know, and have gone thru the experience of something bad happening, i won't take that chance again....if you want to, that is your choice....

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Way to go Buck it's hard to conquer Murphy's Law. I like this thread as it's a nice wake-up call to newbies. It's like that old TV show Lost In Space where the robot would yell "Danger Will Robinson, Danger" Good job Renoman it's nice to have an E-Vet handy, we don't have one in our area.
Wvasko, one of the first things I did after moving to TX was scope out the area for vets. There are 3 vet clinics within 10 minutes of here and the Emergency Vet is 5 minutes away! That to me is a wonderful thing.

Glad He's okay, Reno--I was worried about pretty boy!
Otis likes to carry sticks..err...logs around a little bit, but he really likes to carry around about a 3 foot piece of plastic PVC pipe --maybe Buck would take to a piece of that?? It's like a huge Nylabone haha --You could Paint it brown and spray it with pine scent--he'll never know the difference
I think I figured out what happened. Buck was pulling a new branch, about 5 ft. long out of the woods to add to his collection. He must have gotten the splinter then.

SDO, I am thinking about what I can give Buck to replace the sticks. PVC pipe was one option, another is heater hose from the auto supply store - it's less rigid than PVC. I was also considering getting him a bite sleeve to carry around. I guess it's going to be trial and error. All I know for sure is

NO MORE STICKS!!!

The determine the danger of things like sticks you have to consider the relative danger. The number of injuries caused by sticks relative to the number of instances of dogs playing with sticks.

By this measure the danger of playing with sticks is statistically insignificant.
Well Kasey, you come back and talk to me after you've been to the E-vet with your dog for a stick related injury. Then tell me how insignificant the risk is. :mad:

The fact is, it happened to MY dog. This was the first and last time it will happen. I'm not willing to put him (or me) through that again.

Thank you to everyone for the well wishes. Buck is fine this evening. Taking his meds like a trooper and back to being his old self. Of course, first thing he went for outside was his stick... nope, not happening!!!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Augh. I live next to the city park, and I wouldn't be able to keep sticks out if I tried. I could patrol the yard 5 times a day and still more would fall. I'll just have to hope KaseyT is right about the "statistically insignificant" part.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Augh. I live next to the city park, and I wouldn't be able to keep sticks out if I tried. I could patrol the yard 5 times a day and still more would fall. I'll just have to hope KaseyT is right about the "statistically insignificant" part.
I live in a pretty tree full area too Willowy, & we have a place up on the river that's got a lot of trees all around too, so sticks are everywhere!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ouch! Poor guy! I'm glad everything is okay now!

My mom's old dog once got one lodged across the roof of his mouth, too, like a few of you have described. We found it right away, so all was fine, but UGH it just sounds so uncomfortable!

Makes me glad that Morgan has never really shown much interest in sticks. *whew*

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
you can do like i have done w/ all my dogs...they are taught from the get-go that sticks are off limits....the only time they touch on is when we are cleaning up the yard and i ask them to bring them to me....but, they don't chew or play w/ them.....i don't hold for the "statistically insignificant" stuff....

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

A preventable injury is NEVER insignificant, especailly when that injury COULD cost a dog its life.

You know I just love how some people try to minimize/justify everything. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
WOW! Reno how did I miss this? Poor baby! I am so glad he is alright. I learned the hard way on sticks as well. I got some rubber bumpers for retriever training and a couple of plastic sticks for the dogs instead. Inga wasn't fooled by them she was more into carrying a BIG stick around. I think Buck is too He might enjoy a wooden baseball bat? That is what worked for Inga. She loved carrying that thing around. We gotta do what we gotta do to make our babies happy. :) Hope you can find a good alternative for Buck to keep him safe.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Actually most toys are less safe if the dog can rip them apart. Far more dogs get obstructions from toys or pieces of toys then for stick related injuries.
However most toys will show signs of wear long befoer they cause injury.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm so glad he's ok :)

Sticks, rocks, any thing could potentially hurt our dogs/ wear their teeth down. My chessie plays about 2 hours of ball a day, we no longer use sticks after my boston got one stuck in her mouth (ah bostons...) But sticks splinter, you wouldn't let a toddler put it in their mouth... thats kind of my rule, would I care if my roommates 2 year old put it in her mouth with supervision? A tennis ball she couldn't fit but anything soft, sure I'll watch her if anything is starting to fall apart I'll just take it away. Supervision is key but picking your battles is another ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Glad to hear your dog's doing well :] I read a lot about sticks being a bad toy for dogs, so Beethoven is kept away from every stick in the yard.. Trying to train him young not to go for them. He still ends up with a twig in his mouth sometimes, but they're taken away immediately... Lucky for me, most of them are too big and all he can do is stare and bob his head at them! xD

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
WOW! Reno how did I miss this? Poor baby! I am so glad he is alright. I learned the hard way on sticks as well. I got some rubber bumpers for retriever training and a couple of plastic sticks for the dogs instead. Inga wasn't fooled by them she was more into carrying a BIG stick around. I think Buck is too He might enjoy a wooden baseball bat? That is what worked for Inga. She loved carrying that thing around. We gotta do what we gotta do to make our babies happy. :) Hope you can find a good alternative for Buck to keep him safe.
A baseball bat - PERFECT!!!! Thanks Inga. :D

I was going to try PVC pipe, heater hose (which isn't quite as rigid) or I was even going to go so far as to buy him a bite sleeve to carry around. I'm definitely adding a bat to the list. He's bound to like one of the alternatives. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i am so happy to see that buck is doing well.

sticks worry me so much! iorek always wants to chew up sticks. he always wants to eats them. my backyard is always littered with sticks. i don't think that the trees there are very healthy. i ALWAYS take them away! iorek likes to carry them when we are walking, he doesn't chew them then but he likes to run with them and i always worry about him hooking the end on something and the stick being shoved down his throat. for some reason he likes to hold the stick on the end so it is hanging down. i really don't like this at all! i will either take the stick and put it length wise in his mouth, he always goes for the big ones, or i will take it away all together. luckily he only likes the sticks on the walks for about 5 minutes. but, now, after reading this, the new rule is no sticks.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I also had a Rottie that carried around a motorcycle tire. They are quite heavy but he had a thing for it. He would loop it around his own neck and bite the edge like a pacifier and run around the yard. He looked like an idiot but I think it was pretty safe. The possibilities are endless. I am sure Buck will enjoy going on a shopping spree with you to find just the right thing. ;)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts